Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire's Style

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

When I look at L.A. Noire, something triggers in me. After watching people play it for 15 minutes, and after the QL before, I got this weird clean feeling in my brain, like seeing all those period clothes, artifacts, hairstyles, and landmarks was a fully realized Other World that was still instantly relatable. The amount of detail I've seen so far is extraordinary, and Brad was right, they even achieved that different feel using the fonts common in the period. I used to look through old books and feel that, or our Monopoly or Risk instructions.

I don't delude myself; there's no ideal period in history. Some things may get worse, but others get better, and while '47 is some people's idea of the golden period for the U.S., plenty of others don't share that, both those who grew up there and those where growing up in other places, whether or not they were ravaged by the war. Still, I guess it's the myth of that speaks to me, and I like how L.A. Noire, in the tradition of other period crime dramas like the excellent L.A. Confidential, cut to the core of the period they're creating, showing us the myth and the dark side at the same time.

After watching that fifteen minute clip, while getting dinner ready, I imagined all the stuff a homemaker then might have to go through to get a decent meal ready. I think of my grandparents, how they might have spent a Saturday; and my parents-- what the world looked like as they were growing up, all the things and places they were expecting to inherit when they grew up, but by the time they had  grown up, those places and things, and all of the people, had changed.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

When I look at L.A. Noire, something triggers in me. After watching people play it for 15 minutes, and after the QL before, I got this weird clean feeling in my brain, like seeing all those period clothes, artifacts, hairstyles, and landmarks was a fully realized Other World that was still instantly relatable. The amount of detail I've seen so far is extraordinary, and Brad was right, they even achieved that different feel using the fonts common in the period. I used to look through old books and feel that, or our Monopoly or Risk instructions.

I don't delude myself; there's no ideal period in history. Some things may get worse, but others get better, and while '47 is some people's idea of the golden period for the U.S., plenty of others don't share that, both those who grew up there and those where growing up in other places, whether or not they were ravaged by the war. Still, I guess it's the myth of that speaks to me, and I like how L.A. Noire, in the tradition of other period crime dramas like the excellent L.A. Confidential, cut to the core of the period they're creating, showing us the myth and the dark side at the same time.

After watching that fifteen minute clip, while getting dinner ready, I imagined all the stuff a homemaker then might have to go through to get a decent meal ready. I think of my grandparents, how they might have spent a Saturday; and my parents-- what the world looked like as they were growing up, all the things and places they were expecting to inherit when they grew up, but by the time they had  grown up, those places and things, and all of the people, had changed.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ramone

When you get up to the homicide cases you will not be feeling clean, I guarantee you

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Jonny7892: I believe it. All these comparisons to Noire-era motion pictures is only a partial truth, given that Rockstar tends to publish games that are more grisly than the censors could have handled. I guess if the camera turned away whenever the worse scenes showed up, though, people now would feel it was almost comical.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva

One comment my housemate made offhand watching me play was pretty revealing: "it must've been so much more fun to be a man in that period." Namely, those suits and hats which make almost anyone look powerful and stylish. Probably part of the reason people like that show 'Mad Men'.
    But that's just a small aspect of it. Aesthetically, L.A. Noire is fantastic (although it's not without flaw). It's eerily reminiscent of a Hitchcock film in places.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @owl_of_minerva: Hitchcock? That's high praise in my book.

And yeah, if you were a certain gender, social class, ethnic background things could have felt nice. Naturally, real life's more complicated, especially if you're not at the top of the pyramid.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pweidman

The period style is really well done agreed tc, and the mood and vibe is totally intoxicating.  The odd mechanical flaws stick out more too because of the world's immersive strength.  And I wasn't really interested much or even looking forward to the gamebecause of the setting.  Sucks you right in.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @pweidman: That's the danger. When you get strong visuals, the weaknesses stick out more. I've heard people mention that the bodies are awkward compared to the facial animation, but that's in part because the facial imagination is pretty impressive.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

No ideal period in history?  You, sir, obviously weren't alive when Ninja Rap was on the airwaves.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: I still hold out hope that I may travel back in time to the short-lived era of egalitarian Roman Empire derigible cities, assuming I have time to refresh my Sky Latin.
    Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Egge

Have played through roughly a third of LA Noire's cases and so far I appreciate the meticulously detailed indoor environments more than the sprawling LA cityscape, enormous and historically accurate as it is. The investigations often end up in someone's apartment or house, and though these more intimate spaces often look rather similar in overall style each of them nonetheless feels authentic, lived-in and individually designed from the ground up rather than, say, merely assembled by using standard textures and stock items (though there are certainly some of those as well).

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Egge: That's cool to hear. I watched the Gamespot review and they were saying similar stuff, showing some of the interiors and the products. I looked at Rockstar's site for it and they were talking about scanning in authentic props. I can totally see what you're saying about that feeling, and I think it's even cooler that they individualize the rooms rather than making them from modular sets. Sure, that means less rooms, but if every room is unique that's quite a feat.
    Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Sprizmo

Its a very interesting era to explore because at the pinnacle of the industrial revolution Americans truly started to embrace the future, or wilder concepts of engineering and development. That elitism is exactly why the average man, whether hard boiled detectives or street saavy criminals, had such a thoroughly commanding demeanor.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BBQBram

If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that the art and detail in this game are fucking amazing. The lighting sells it well, can't wait to start my second playthrough in black and white.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @BBQBram: Before I even learned about the B&W feature, I had thought about shifting the color to black and white when I imagined myself playing it. Great feature they added, especially adjusting the contrast. Still, I think now if I were ever to play it I'd go with color, because I want to see how all the real color might have interplayed then, rather than pretend that humankind invented color in the 60's.

@Sprizmo: You might be on to something there. It's so strange, though, how we try to encapsulate an era we never lived through, as though we could ever truly understand what it was like, either for the society or an individual. Best we can do is guess, but I think it's healthier to try to imagine these things than pretend everyone who isn't immediately recognizable is some sort of unknowable creature.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.