Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

The most frustrating thing for me.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By badsmalltalker

i really liked parts of L.A. Noire.  But by far the most frustrating thing for me when I was playing was the check mark or X they put next to the questions when you interrogate someone.  If they expect you to just move on even if you screw up, especially with the sometimes fickle nature of the truth/doubt/lie system, then why just let you sit there and have to look at a mistake you made?  One that you can't undo unless you quit, reload, and do everything in that location all over again.

I wish they had just crossed out the question, and force you to review your clues to figure things out.  it would have felt less spoon fed to the player, and also wouldn't be so aggravating to players who can't stand moving on when the game basically tells you, "nope, you screwed up."

Did anyone else feel this way as they were playing?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I had no issue once I watched for tells. 

They all ways have a tell. Not making eye contact. Bting their lip. Swallowing a lot. 

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By bwheeeler
    @The_Laughing_Man: Unless they have false tells. The system is so inconsistent that many questions become mere guesswork. "If they've got shifty eyes then it's doubt, unless they intentionally have shifty eyes in which case it's truth. Simple." I just don't understand it.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Agent47
    @MagikOvenMit: Well for most of the game if they give off grins, or move their eyes around in other directions, or act nervous they are lieing.If you have evidence that can be used against THEM then you call lie, if you have zero evidence then you call doubt.Otherwise truth.Pretty simple don't see what's so hard.Only time I saw it get tricky is near the end I forget which guy but he glances around a bit and you would think he is hiding something for second but keep looking at him and he acts calm, and even looks you in the eye.And it does turn out he is telling the truth.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

You just need to deal with it. Yes you got things wrong but you need to move foreword. It is also a valuable lesson at life, you don't always get to do things over. 

PS you can replay the cases later if you really care.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bwheeeler
    @Agent47: Sure, but some people are just shifty, and it's near impossible to tell when they're being shifty or when they're being "lying shifty". And then the evidence that can be used to point out a lie is oftentimes vague - two things that could both point out a contradiction, but only one correct thing. When interrogations work, they work splendidly, but too many times I've failed and felt that it was not my fault, but the game's fault.
    Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nitrocore

At first is pissed me off when I would select to many incorrect answers, it basically led me to replay the case because I didn't want to get any of the questions wrong, after awhile I gave up on the idea and got on with it, mainly because the later cases get quite long and it's pointless restarting the whole thing. Personaly  I'd rather save the cases I screwed up until after I had completed the game to leave myself some replay value, instead of wasting time replaying the cases trying to get everything right on the first run, and plus  I found it boring playing the same bit over and over again just so I could get everything ticked.

I do agree with the idea of the ticks and crosses though, it's all well and good being rewarded with new dialog options when you get questions right, but without the crosses the player would find it hard to keep track of the questions they were getting wrong. I also found it to be usefull to nail down what sort of person I was dealing with, I mean liars lie, so if I thought they were telling the truth 2 times in a row and got 2 crosses, then I was dealing with a shady character and the chances of them ever telling the truth were slim, but I do see where you are coming from with the taunting part, I think the main thing to do is to look past it and try to get the other questions right and save yourself some replay value at the end.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JasonR86

I blew through those questions so I never noticed the 'x' marks.  I did notice the piano melody that played when I messed up.  That always put a pit in my stomach.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

I didn't mind getting a notification when I got a question wrong. I look at it as a reminder to let me know that I need to slow down, double-check dialog and take a better look at the evidence/suspect.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Castiel

I started getting nervous ticks whenever that small piano piece at the end of each answer played: "Oh please don't end on a false note you fucker!"

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yo, guess what, how you do has almost literally no bearing on shaping the landscape of that game.  

So, don't worry about it so much. It's more an experience than a game anyhow. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.