Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Those Side Missions

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph
    Hey guys, first post here. I'm so happy to finally be a part of this wonderful site. So let's talk about those side missions. I sat down the other night to play through the game's Free Roam Mode and go through a couple of these while I was at it. Now, I wasn't expecting much here but man, are they lacklustre or what?!

They all open with a brief cutscene, in which you're introduced to the crime, and these are all done pretty well. The problem I have is with the way they end - they just... end. There's no sort of closure to the crime, they all conclude with either a body going into the coroner's van or Cole walking up to his vehicle and radioing in. You have this huge opening to a crime, a cop's being held at gunpoint on a roof and needs your help. So you make your way round the back of the building and up on the roof, on your own I might add, and end up saving the poor copper (on your own) as well as taking care of the perps in the process. Then it cuts to Cole lowering his weapon, the screen fading to black and that oh-so-familiar radio routine.

"Car 11K calling KGPL."

No payoff whatsoever, not even a mere thank you from the cop who's life you just saved - what's a guy gotta do to get a pat on the back? I'd just like to be clear, my problem isn't with this particular side mission, it's the same with all of them. It's also worth noting the game does a very cheap job of making you replay the same side missions, over and over again. Apparently these thugs come back from the dead to relive their last moments again and again. Scary stuff!

The second problem I have is that these missions go one of two ways, either a chase ensues or a shootout happens. Either one is pretty bland, especially since by this time you've probably had enough of chases and shootouts. I would have loved Team Bondi to have weaved some light detective work into these missions. Just my two cents though.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By htr10

i absolutely agree that after all the effort they put into the setup for each side mission, it is surprising how they all end in such a repetitive and dismissive way.  all in all, that surprise may more be to a testament to the level of detail in other aspects of the game, but still, it's an area that's hard to ignore in its blandness.
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By leebmx

I agree. i had a problem with these as well. I just think as well as they are done they don't fit in with the rest of the game at all. The main game is trying to be slow paced and methodical and then you go out and blow the heads of 10 guys with no seeming consequences.

I understand there is an achievement for killing 100 bad guys, for a real cop to tally anywhere near this amount would be insane and it breaks the realism the rest of the game tries for.
     This seems to be a recurring problem with Rockstar games. I had the same issue for Red Dead, where Marston would talk about wanting to leave his violent life behind and then mow down hundreds of people with a Gatling gun.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

You receive experience that goes toward your next rank, which is enough for me. I just wish that there was more than 40 missions that weren't repetitive.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Yanngc33

Some have closure and I thought the bank robbery was cool. Also, the conclusion to most of the car chases are pretty awesome

@Axxol: they become kind of pointless once you reach max rank though
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Yanngc33 said:

@Axxol: they become kind of pointless once you reach max rank though
    You're right, but I'll be focusing solely on the actual story when I reach that point. 
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vexxan

Most side missions feel very dull and it's always the same thing that needs to be done. The only interesting ones are the one that involves bank robbery tbh.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By Lelcar

The side missions are all pretty fun (for a brief fix) and net you easy experience, but I agree that they lack heart or any kind of substance. However, I came into this game not expecting any side missions, so I'm not really frustrated about this fact.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9  Edited By JasonR86
    @realph:

I agree with everything you said.  But it is a nice trade off to what you do during the main storyline.
    Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enns

I agree with you. Doing any of the side missions reminds me of how much a  video game this is. What's worse is that every single person is a track runner. No matter how old or fat they are they can all climb up a drain pipes like they're fucking spider man.

Cereal_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cereal_Killa
    @Enns:  As dumb as it is, I found watching the 70 year old man from "vengeful ex" shimming up a pipe and jumping roofs was almost worth how "reality" breaking it was.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

experience points and you also can work towards a trophy or achievement I think. Also if you finished everything and complain there isn't enough shooting, then play the side missions. The side missions marked in red are new ones, you don't have to replay old ones. I think they are all suppose to be different.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13  Edited By natetodamax
    @Enns said:
    I agree with you. Doing any of the side missions reminds me of how much a  video game this is. What's worse is that every single person is a track runner. No matter how old or fat they are they can all climb up a drain pipes like they're fucking spider man.
    Adrenaline. I'm sure if you were being chased by cops you could scale a building.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14  Edited By Sin4profit

i was disappointed that i couldn't try to capture criminals rather then just shoot them. i once snuck up behind a guy held up in his house ("Honey Boy" mission) and ran up to him thinking i could mash some button to tackle him down and arrest him rather then kill'im. didn't happen, he just shot me dead as i mashed random buttons.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By briangodsoe

Cole must have mountains of paperwork for all the people he blows away in those random missions. I remember a robber one where I managed to catch up with the guys the moment they hopped in a car and blew the driver's brains out before he could peel away. The guy didn't even shoot at me. I imagine that kind of thing is generally frowned upon. Well except for Rusty I guess.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

Clearly the side-missions were just an afterthought; something to tide over all the people who would complain there wasn't enough shooting. The cover-based shooting isn't all that great anyway, but I thought the side-missions acted well enough as an occasional diversion. I'd only do one every so often, and they can help to break up the pace of constantly just heading to hotel rooms/bars and tapping X everywhere. They feel a little tacked on--even with their surprisingly well done opening cutscenes--but again it's what I was expecting anyway.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BBQBram

Well, I agree with some of the points made here. There is a stark contrast between the excellent openings and generic closers. I also think it would have been fun to have short interrogations in there to break up the shooting and driving a bit. And there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to tackle fleeing suspects at all times (or fire a warning shot if they're armed). That seems a bit inconsistent.

On the other hand, I'm glad these were even included and compared to the random events and stranger missions from RDR, they're seated nicely in between. So far I've been mostly ignoring them unless when I feel the pacing calls for a little mid-case action. In that way it's a great integration into the plot. Your progress is universal so don't try to see all forty in your initial playthrough, just let it happen over time in a second playthrough or case replays.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By realph
    @Sin4profit Ahh dude, this annoyed the crap out of me also! It makes me wonder why they even bothered putting in that scene, you know the one where you and your partner stare down the corpse being loaded into the coroner's van. The cheek of it is it's almost like they've put that in there to make you feel bad, as if you were given an alternative option.

Thinking about it now, it would have been awesome if the game had an "arrest" mechanic of some sort, similar to True Crime or even RDR. Being able to cuff suspects outside of cutscenes would have been great. Hell, I wish we could just subdue enemies instead of outright killing them. /rant
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By dtat

I think the action scenes are pretty bad, so the side missions feel kind of pointless. They are literally the part of a case I hated taken out of the context of an interesting investigation.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By Sin4profit
    @realph: yeah, the coroner scene was somber enough to feel like a "bad ending" scene. That's actually what gave me the idea to try and make an arrest, rather then a kill, in the first place.

Problem with having a random arrest mode, like in RDR, is it would probably slow down the already slow pacing of the game. At least in the story mode. Would have been interesting to have added it to freeroam mode.

All and all, i enjoyed the game and look forward to new case file DLC, but it has a bizarre inconsistency to it...why could i only occasionally pull my gun in a chase to do a warning shot? why the hell was the Y button the "get out of your seat during an interrogation" button and not the B button...i didn't figure that out until the end of the damn game.
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I agree, they were all too similar which made them get boring fast.

I did like the one where you chase the crazy guy that has the pan on his head though.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RsistncE

I refuse to even do them just because they're so damn awful. After the awesome side quest characters and missions that you often came across in RDR, this sure is a step backwards for Rockstar in the side mission department.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MiniPato

I love pretty much all the ones that are car chases. Firefights are kind of boring and the cover system is balls.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Thoseposers

DUDE THOSE COPS ALWAYS ATE IT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.