Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Would you play a sequel/follow up to L.A. Noire?

• 66 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you play a sequel/follow up to L.A. Noire? (373 votes)

Yes/I'd at least give it a shot 82%
    No I would not give it a shot 12%
    L.A.P.D. PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND SHOW ME THE RESULTS 7%

I've been watching Super Best Friends Play L.A. Noire, which is highly entertaining, and it's bringing up fond memories I had with L.A. Noire, what I think was a pretty flawed but one of the more interesting ideas from last gen.

I think this is a good game with interesting ideas that save it from mediocrity. The game was clearly made with a lot of passion and hard work behind it. I'd even say this game is very ambitious...so ambitious they barely know what to do with it. The open world is empty and a lot of the shootouts are boring. But the Ace Attorney-esque interrogation and investigation segments are a lot of fun. I also really love the main detective characters and even the performances from those particular actors. Oh and it's a no brainer the setting is fucking baller.

I don't know, maybe actually playing the game would leave me less positive about the game but it's been on my mind lately and I can't hep but think of the possibilities of a much improved sequel. New York Noire? I'd really like to see Rockstar do this again but a real knockout. At least 9/10 tier.

• 
    TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see another game like that, but I think they'd be better served to do away with any sort of overarching plot. LA Noire was really good through about tail end of the homicide desk, but once the Vice/morphine stuff took over the narrative, the game really started to lose its magic (for a variety of reasons). It worked much better on the earlier desks when everything was much more episodic. I think they'd be fine with either self-contained cases or maybe a single through-line for a desk, like the Black Dhalia plot during Homicide.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a really awesome experiment in a lot of ways. It didn't all work, but it remains one of the most memorable games from that gen for me and they absolutely deserved another shot to improve the formula.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've also been watching that lp as a trip down memory lane, and honestly, the game just looks worse than I thought. The interview system is just such a flawed mess that they'd need to do a complete redesign of the core gameplay to make me interested. That's without mentioning how terrible the story and script ended up being. Basically burn it all down and start anew.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hell yeah. I'll take ambitious but deeply flawed over the boring safe games that are the same shit but slightly better looking.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By damodar

I'd be interested in seeing another attempt at that game, sure. It has some huuuge problems, but there's also a lot to really like about it and it has a ton of potential. Basically, I'd want somebody to get in there with a sledgehammer and tear most of it down and start over.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, why not? I played the game late, in August of 2014 (now that I check). I feel like I kind of ruined the experience though. At the time I was thinking I'd only go through it once (and still, that's true, I've only gone through it once), so I used a guide to show me the 'best' answers for the interrogations since I thought there was a wide range of endings and I just wanted the best one. I later realized there wasn't really much difference that it mattered to me and I probably should have just played it through, doing the interrogations on my own. I would play it again if they put it on backward compatibility. The best thing about the game was the atmosphere through setting and sound design.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jonny_anonymous: Totally.

LA Noire was far from perfect but it had great atmosphere, especially if you were a fan of LA Confidential and Chinatown. The more I saw of Team Bondi's next game, the more intrigued I got.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

L.A. Noire is one of those games I've started many times but never finished. I would like to see a similar game in a different setting. A modern day CSI-like game would be cool.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sinusoidal

Gotta cross #1 off the backlog first. I really do mean to play it some day. My wife played it and she's insanely hard to please when it comes to video games.

Krabbtummen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the world in the first one, if it wasn't for the overall atmosphere I'm not sure I would've gotten through it, Phelps being such a bad character.

But I'd totally play another one if they get the atmosphere right.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By totsboy

Hell yes! I liked this game a lot, despite its flaws. I've been thinking about replaying it for a while now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Absolutely yes! I thought about this for a while I would love to have it set in NYC in 1993 kinda of a NYPD Blue feel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48049f850e3
    deactivated-5a48049f850e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got into the first one too much, I stoped playing it for other reasons not because it was a bad game just life reasons, but I would check out a sequel it looks like it had some good things too it.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It'd be interesting to see someone else have a go at this style of game-something like a spiritual successor-but I don't think the world needs an LA Noire 2.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Absolutely. I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned from the first game. It had some real strengths and a big budget adventure game was so cool.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I have no desire to play more of that game. That said, I had no desire to play the first game until Ryan Davis convinced me otherwise. I enjoyed LA Noire, and if a sequel does something innovative again and is met with equally high praise I might check it out.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read somewhere that they are remaking it for the PSVR. That is the only way I would try it again

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. That game had a lot of fantastic writing and acting and the investigation stuff was fun in an adventure game way. The city was too big and kind of empty of interesting stuff to do (with too much traffic) and the shooting and brawling was pretty bad, but I'd love a pure adventure game-style sequel with maybe some car chases.

It remains one of the most atmospheric games ever made. I'd play another one like that without pause. I think I even finished all the DLC.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I really liked L.A Noire. It had its issues but created a cool world and the facial animation work was fantastic.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also that theme song

Loading Video...

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: In general the music was great. Some of that licensed stuff from the 40s was fantastic. Team Bondi did a great job creating a fully fleshed out film noir world. Sure there were parts of the game that were janky and the actual PLOT of the game was mediocre, but they got the little things right.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BrunoTheThird

An older Cole Phelps in the '60s-'70s inside an alternate telling of the Zodiac killings would be cool, but it's the 'noir' bit that's missing there...

How 'bout New York noir style, then. Or maybe Chicago, go for the whole Untouchables vibe.

I would play it, though, no question. L.A. Noir is dope. I love the newspaper headlines on each chapter, the cool-ass places you go (Elysian Fields construction site, sleuthing half-made apartments in the dark; that big movie set with tonnes of detail; the tar pits.), and the music, oh man.

knivesouttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By knivesouttt

I absolutely loved L.A. Noire, so would be really interested in what they could do with a sequel... not that I have any hopes that we will see one.

Kharnivore2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kharnivore2099

I quite enjoyed L.A. Noir.

I just didn't like the the odd change in the story, where the main character does something he wouldn't have done...given what we had seen of his personality.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WynnDuffy

Great theme, great idea, great acting/great voice work.

But what a fucking slog it was to play. If they can fix that I'd be into it, but everything about the first felt so clunky and the ending was a little lackluster from what I can remember.

Tempted to give it another shot on Steam while it's on sale.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Still some of the best facial and expression capturing and rending of all time in a game.

I'd love to see a sequel.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. As deeply flawed as it was, it was an awesome concept that did just enough right to make me want more.

But the game suuuper didn't need an open world, though. If we do ever get a followup, that has got to be the first thing to go.

It would also need more Dan Ryckert. There's a minimal amount of Dan in the first game, and as we all know, sequels have to up the ante. Every civilian = Dan. Call me, Rockstar, I have more ideas like that for you, and I'll sell 'em cheap.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh yeah, absolutely.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By triviaman09

I would love just being able to play it again on PS4 (not sure if it's XB1 backwards compatible but I don't have an XB1).

Edit: It's not on XB1, do the work to put this game back out.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

also that theme song

Loading Video...

well, fuck. guess I gotta play this again now, thanks.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a heartbeat

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Nodima

Yes, it was a highly flawed game that disappointed me more than it satisfied me, but the tech was amazing, the gameplay was fun enough and the characters were all interesting. What I found disappointing was that, IMO, the people were not at all easy to read and it often felt like the game was knowingly throwing red herrings at you too often. I'd have preferred a game that didn't feel like it was constantly getting one over on you the deeper into the game you got.

I also found the radio in general a good time but it was pretty quickly into the game where I ceded control of the car to my A.I. partner so I could hear the dialogue and get on to the next mission segment. The city was beautifully rendered but those cars weren't very fun to drive and there just wasn't enough to entertain you besides that. I'd love for a game to really nail just basic city driving (I felt like riding in the backseat of a Liberty City taxi cab in GTAIV is the closest games have come, but even that was ceding control to the A.I. and using that time to browse the web IRL).

Plus that era of Los Angeles is really cool. And I still really enjoy seeing actors I first saw in L.A. Noire and thinking back to their roles in the game; Mad Men was especially fun for that reason, which I didn't get to until a year after my L.A. Noire play.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd definitely be interested in a sequel, but fixing the many issues L.A. Noire had. A few years ago, I played Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, and I thought it did a better job as a detective-themed game. Its theory-constructing feature was really interesting and you had a real chance of getting the conclusion all wrong from a lot of different options you came up with using all the different suspects and evidence in the case, while L.A. Noire kind of held you by the hand all the way to the end of the case, and it's interrogation system became kind of a guessing game towards the end because the facial animations they tried to rely on didn't give much hints and kind of lost the point. I guess the detective elements were better in Sherlock because it's a linear game that only focuses on that, while L.A. Noire gave you an open world which in reality was pretty useless, it focused more on the narrative, and all the detective-esque activities relied on gathering evidence and interrogating people, while Sherlock Holmes had some puzzle elements and theory construction too.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. That game had a lot of fantastic writing and acting and the investigation stuff was fun in an adventure game way. The city was too big and kind of empty of interesting stuff to do (with too much traffic) and the shooting and brawling was pretty bad, but I'd love a pure adventure game-style sequel with maybe some car chases.

It remains one of the most atmospheric games ever made. I'd play another one like that without pause. I think I even finished all the DLC.

You know, now that I think about it more: of all the franchises that have had the Telltale treatment, LA Noire would've benefitted the most of being adapted by them. Keep the investigation parts and graphics, abandon the boring driving, and rework the dialog system.

Now that would be a sequel I would be interested in.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i always find myself attracted to games that do new things. LA Noire wasn't flawless, but it felt refreshing and cool. I really enjoyed it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Been asking for one for 6 years almost...

While you are at it, start development on basically every one of my favorite games from 2012 including: Asuras Wrath, Spec Ops the line, binary domain, Mark of the ninja

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yeah, give me an LA Confidential the movie character to play instead of the LA Confidential the book character they went with, and I would be way into it. Maybe add in some dialogue choices outside of the interrogations. Let me build a relationship with the secretary or my partner or whatever.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Absolutely. That game had a lot of flaws but there are so few detective games in that mold that I'm still really fond of it. A shame what happened to that original studio.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By redwing42

That was a great couch co-op game to play with my wife, where I did all the controller work and she made most of the decisions. We've also played Wolf Among Us and are currently playing Until Dawn, but LA Noire was our first. I'd absolutely play another.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@artisanbreads: In general the music was great. Some of that licensed stuff from the 40s was fantastic. Team Bondi did a great job creating a fully fleshed out film noir world. Sure there were parts of the game that were janky and the actual PLOT of the game was mediocre, but they got the little things right.

I think a lot of it at the core is pretty great in itself but they don't handle execution that well. The serial killer act does not fit in the game and then they really ruin a lot of things with Jack Kelso, who is a really lame and shitty perfect good guy character in a game that otherwise was good because it didn't have guys like that and it was actually noir. I loved that you were playing as Phleps, who was a pretty shitty guy in a lot of ways.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_cute_squirtle: I forgot how good that theme was until I heard it a bit ago again. Gives me chills.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only Rockstar game I ever completed. I loved the setting the setting and I like the focus on investigation rather than typical video game action. I'd love to see a follow up.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The face tech was really something.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked that game a lot, too bad the developer was so shady with its employees. Trying to tell if someone was lying through facial cues was really interesting, plus i dug the story.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Hell yeah I would. I absolutely love that game, flaws and all there's not much like it.

I don't think the sequel needs to be Open World though unless they actually do something gameplay wise with the Open World.

And of course I would hope the working conditions would be humane this time around for the creators.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hayt

100%. Whore of the Orient sounded like a great idea!

Edit: This prompted me to check out the Team Bondi website and boy is that a sad sight.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if Ryckert is still in it.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates said:

I think a lot of it at the core is pretty great in itself but they don't handle execution that well. The serial killer act does not fit in the game and then they really ruin a lot of things with Jack Kelso, who is a really lame and shitty perfect good guy character in a game that otherwise was good because it didn't have guys like that and it was actually noir. I loved that you were playing as Phleps, who was a pretty shitty guy in a lot of ways.

Some of what was at the core was pretty great. I really liked the appropriately noir plot that the main bad guy had (though all the stuff surrounding the marines could've been dropped, which would've let the rest of the plot be better developed imo). But, as you said, the whole serial killer arc was not good. Also, I thought Phelps started strong as a character, but got disappointing later one. And I think he should've been the character the whole way through. If Kelso was going to be in the game at all, he should've just been an NPC; and one that we only saw through Phelps' somewhat broken perspective.

Plus, pretty much all of the game's mechanics, other than the main one, were disappointing. Even the searching of the crime scenes wasn't handled that well. All the game really had going for it were the interviews themselves.

Still, it was an interesting attempt at trying something and I definitely would like to see another game get made, with the lessons learned from the first one and 6+ more years of knowledge about game development. I would hold out for reviews before playing it, but that's true of every game for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.