Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is a third person action adventure game which once again stars the classic heroine Lara Croft but this time features new gameplay mechanics meant to revitalize the franchise. The game features a new graphics engine which brings the characters to life like never before. It also has a revamped physics system which provides realistic water and fire which helps bring the environments to life. There is also a new control system which is meant to make moving through the game an intuitive and fluid experience for the player.
The game is based around a horrific plane crash which Lara endured as a child. The events of that day, specifically the disappearance of her mother Lady Amelia Croft, haunts her in her everyday life. When Lara hears of a clue as to what happened she immediately begins her quest to discover the truth. Lara embarks on a journey to collect fragments of a mythical sword which holds the secret to what happened just shortly after the plane crash and is also the basis for the Excalibur legend. However the player will quickly discover that Lara is not the only tomb raider after the fragments. A long lost friend along with an army of mercenaries will try to stop her at every turn in order to wield the awesome power of the relics.
New Character Model
The basic character of Lara Croft changed very little over the course of the series before this version was announced. In previous versions Lara wore a light blue tank top and had size 36D breasts. In this version Lara has a more realistic C cup which makes her athletic moves far more believable. Her outfit has also been modified and updated for the times. Her default outfit is a brown t-shirt and booty shorts. The character model was changed as a way to attract a female demographic and remove the stigma of being nothing but a sex symbol for teenage boys.
- Dual Wielding Pistols - The reliable and lethal weapon of choice for Lara Croft
- Shotgun - A highly effective close range weapon. Only buck shot is available in this game.
- Personal Light Source - A bright light which can be used to temporarily light up a dark corner.
- Red Flare - A traditional method of illumination the darkest reaches of caves and tombs.
- Magnetic Grappling Hook - Can be used to help Lara across dangerous pits or to get her to hard to reach places. Can also be used to knock enemies into hazards.
- Headset - Lara wears a wireless communication device which transmits everything she hears and sees to her allies back in England so they can help her out.
Although Lara spends most of the game in her basic brown shirt and booty shorts, she does change into different outfits which better suit the environments she is exploring. Lara sports a warm winter coat for cold destinations, a sleek motorcycle outfit and a sexy evening gown for more formal affairs. In one flashback Lara is also seen wearing the traditional blue tank top and brown shorts as was featured in past versions of Tomb Raider.
- Tiwanaku, Bolivia
- Paraíso, Peru
- Tokyo, Japan
- Ghana, Africa
- Cornwall, England
- Himalayas, Nepal
- Croft Manor, England
PC System Requirements
- Minimum: Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Pentium 3 1.0Ghz or Athlon XP Equivalent, 256MB RAM, 100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible 64 MB 3D Accelerated Card with TnL (GeForce 3Ti / Radeon 9 series), Microsoft Windows 2000/XP compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible), 9.9GB free disk space, 100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse and keyboard
- Recommended: Pentium 4 2.0Ghz or Athlon XP Equivalent, 512MB RAM, 100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible 256MB 3D Accelerated Card (Nvidia GeForce 5900 / Ati 9800XT), Microsoft Windows 2000/XP compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible), 9.9GB free disk space
- Optimal: Pentium 4 3.0Ghz or Athlon XP/64bit Equivalent, 1GB RAM, 100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible 512 MB 3D Accelerated Card (Nvidia GeForce 7800 / Ati X-1800)
Xbox 360 Game Installation
Tomb Raider: Legend requires 6.7GB of space to install on an Xbox 360 HDD.