Oh damn: Larian is making a Divinity Original Sin 2 tactics game

#1 Posted by Rorie (5672 posts) -

Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a new tactical game oozing with RPG elements, developed as a co-production between Larian Studios and Logic Artists. Faced with a new evil, we're calling on YOU to command The Lady Vengeance and continue the story of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Fallen Heroes marries rich tactical gameplay with RPG choices and consequences, and introduces a wealth of new features and mechanics to the D:OS 2 engine. It will be released on multiple platforms later in the year. Delve deeper into the world of Rivellon as you command your troops aboard the Lady Vengeance. Explore new lands and wield new weapons and skills. Build your squad and vanquish never-before seen corners of Rivellon. Divinity: Fallen Heroes features two player cooperative play as well as a single player mode.

I suppose they must've been working on SOMETHING since DOS2 is a couple years old now, but I didn't quite know what to expect. I'm having a hard time imagining what this will be but I'm assuming it's mostly a bunch of fights with less focus on exploration and loot, but I guess we'll know more at E3?

Staff
#2 Posted by Rorie (5672 posts) -

I guess this news is from last week, hopefully I'm not repeating any posts that have already been made!

Staff
#3 Posted by Gundato (168 posts) -

Based on some email they sent (probably Kickstarter related?) it sounds like they want to do a hybrid of the combat of DOS and the overall narrative and decision making of Dragon Commander. Which seems like a great idea as I always wanted to like Dragon Commander but... it was really bad.

Found the email and link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/2460525

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15681 posts) -

I don't think Larian is the primary developer on this game. It says in the Kickstarter post that they've actually outsourced it to Dutch indie studio Logic Artists, the people behind Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Viking. I remember messing around with the former and finding it impenetrable, but it sounds like people were into Viking.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
#5 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1659 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

I don't think Larian is the primary developer on this game. It says in the Kickstarter post that they've actually outsourced it to Dutch indie studio Logic Artists, the people behind Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Viking. I remember messing around with the former and finding it impenetrable, but it sounds like people were into Viking.

They're both very good games and end up different, if they look quite similar.

Both are tactical combat games in that layer. Conquistador is more dynamic and simulation feeling in its overworld strategy part vs Viking being more of a party based RPG feel. Not sure which route they are going yet, but they have chops.

The thing is, the weakest part of both games was the combat, which was serviceable but kind of boring for a tactical game and eventually really repetitive. If you give them the great Divinity combat to build off, that is really exciting.

#6 Posted by Slag (8157 posts) -

@rorie: So I played this at PAX East.

Seems decent, I don't think it's anywhere near as grand as Divinity: Original Sin 2 though and it doesn't appear to be trying to be. I think basically what they wanted to do is get another game out quickly on this engine, without having to make a ton of new assets or story content. Most of the assets look reused, or only altered slightly.

What they seem to have done is take Original Sin 2's combat and tried to fit it more into Divinity: Dragon Commander's gameplay loop framework. The loop seems to be you go to main base (in this case the Lady Vengeance) consult with your commanders and make a narrative choice that results in a tactics mission. Go do the mission, and then back to the ship for another choice. So a much higher % of time in combat, basically zero exploration, no side quests and dialogue choices. There might be shopping and gear, but that wasn't viewable in the demo. Your choices lock you out missions and other paths. So while there maybe 70ish missions (I believe that's what the dev said) in the game, you might only have access to say... ~30 in a given playthrough due to your choices. Definitely meant to offer some replay-ability.

Mechanically the fights seem little different from OS2 save for one major change. Each Side goes all at once. So no more turn order. They really need to overhaul the UI as it's very unclear what units have gone and which ones haven't in the demo build. Also each fights seems to have objectives that are more important to the win condition that are different than just "kill everything". For example the mission I ran involved saving hostages spread across the map before enemy units killed them, with enemy reinforcements being summoned every "X" turns.

Also it's pretty tough. I cleared OS2 on the second highest difficulty with minimal problems and I failed this demo. I got further than everybody else who was in my row of PCs, but there were some surprises in the fight that I frankly was ill prepared for despite crushing the initial objective. It might be a game where you have to play fights multiple times just due to the unpredictability of some of the scripted events, resulting in trial and error.

Narratively it seems... odd. All the playable protagonists (Lohse, Fane, Ifan, Beast, Red Prince, Sebille etc) are back from OS2 and it seems to be a quasi-sequel (the staff was coy when I asked about this)to a version of the events of Original Sin 2 that we seemingly didn't play. The player character is not viewable and is some standin for a create a character. The Player character appears to be canonical "godwoken", or at least is treated like he/she is. The other characters seem to just call you "commander" though.

Seems like Malady and Lucian will be the focal point characters of the plot, with an emphasis on Malady's past and her motivations.

I think I'm going to enjoy this game, but I also think it's a far less ambitious game than D:OS2 and will probably be received as such by players.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#7 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1269 posts) -

@slag: Thanks for the info! I saw this on the show floor but didn't bother waiting to play it--my brother and I only just started playing OS2 recently, which means I probably won't be getting to this game any time soon. Did they mention if it has co-op, or is it just single player?

#8 Edited by Slag (8157 posts) -

@bladeofcreation: no problem, happy to share what I experienced

single player right now, they plan to have 2 player (not 4 player like OS2) co-op at launch

#9 Edited by soulcake (2706 posts) -

I really liked the talking part of Dragon Commander to bad the combat was just bad.

#10 Posted by IEEE_GB (27 posts) -

Pretty hyped for this but I will wait for some reviews

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.