Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Last Known Position

Concept »

A feature used in many stealth games to provide the player some indication of where the enemy is searching for them.

Defining and refining Last Known Position

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By eccentrix

It's clear that Last Known Position isn't just a Splinter Cell concept anymore, but before going ahead and rewriting the whole page, I'd like to create some boundaries to make it clear what this concept is or isn't. For example, Destiny's enemies know where they last saw the player, but this has no graphical treatment. Is this concept simply a function of the AI or should it be limited to some additional piece of UI, like a ghost or marker?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Hmm, that's a tricky one. I'd be inclined to include games like Destiny even if they don't show a visual marker, although most uses of the term seem to only apply to games that do.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

The whole point of it as far as I can tell is to inform the player where the enemy thinks they are, using a visual indicator of some sort.

Without that, we're just talkin about AI behaviour, not this feature in particular.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

@theht said:

The whole point of it as far as I can tell is to inform the player where the enemy thinks they are, using a visual indicator of some sort.

Without that, we're just talkin about AI behaviour, not this feature in particular.

I agree with this. If you don't define it then it becomes to vague and every game can be attached.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@theht said:

I agree with this.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@theht: Yeah, now that I think of it, there are definitely games with similar AI behaviour that predate Conviction (in fact, I want to say Chaos Theory had it), so it would probably wouldn't make sense to broaden the definition to include games without a visual indicator.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

That's what I was thinking. It would eventually get into the territory of reading through code to try to divine the AI's motivations, which kind of misses the point. Visual indicator it is!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.