The Circuit de la Sarthe was first used for the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1923, and was run on a 17.3 km configuration of the track. Several changes have been made to the Circuit, and the current version used is 13.6 km. The circuit was famous for it's 6 km long straight, however due to cars experiencing tyre blow outs at high speed two chicanes were added to the straight to reduce speed in 1990.
In 1955 Tragedy struck when Pierre Levegh's Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR crashed and flew in to the crowd. 85 people died, including the driver, and over 100 more were injured. In response to this Switzerland Banned all motorsports for over 50 years. It is the most catastrophic accident in motor racing history.
Log in to comment