Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

Thoughts about the League wiki

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Greetings, fellow duders and summoners!

In the more recent days, I took a closer look at the League wiki page, adding some of the latest champions released and going over outdated information. Frankly speaking, parts of it seem like a mess. Of course, with a game like League, that is constantly updated and expanded upon, information can eventually become obsolete, but the modes section is particularly messy in my opinion. Hovering on the overview, there is a "Fields of Justice" section talking about the maps and then we have separate sections for Dominion, ARAM and Events (Payment should come after all the gameplay stuff IMO.)

My suggestion is to instead have a "Game modes" category on top with "Classic", "Dominion", "ARAM" as well as a "Temporary Modes" sub-category for things like U.R.F., Acension or the upcoming Nemesis Draft. What say you, fellow summoners and / or mods, am I alone in my assessments or does the wiki need some reconstruction work done? I'll check back in a couple of days as I know we LoL players probably don't check these forums often for any LoL-related news.

PS: I'm also thinking about re-writing a lot of the competitive section as it hasn't been updated since season 3 and there probably needs more emphasis on the LCS structure such as payment, rules, fines, etc.

Maxxx1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Updated pics might not be a bad idea either.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Isn't the purpose of the wiki to be decipherable to someone who hasn't played the game before?

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Sure but at some point you have to make exceptions when the information presented is horribly out of date.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fredchuckdave: Sure but at some point you have to make exceptions when the information presented is horribly out of date.

Updating information is fine but you don't need to go as in depth as @benderunit22 wants to. It just makes the page confusing and hard to parse, especially when you use acronyms and insider speak frequently.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

I feel that the wiki at sites like this have to be generalized so some one who has no idea about a game can read and understand it. If someone went to the Dark Souls page updated with a big diseration on what the multiple theories on why a character makes mention of something specific, I would be "meh" about it the update.

I say clean up the page but you may want to avoid going into details on "this is how this drafting works".

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Since there's life on this board, I thought I'd chime in. To make one thing clear, it is not my intention of adding high-level game knowledge to the wiki. In fact, earlier today, I decided to re-write a lot of the Summoner spell information because it had a lot of complicted scaling math in it and I'm not even convinced there needs to be a list of all the spells to begin with. But hey, it was already there, so I didn't want to delete it.

My main issue with the current structure is that right now, we have a category "Fields of Justice" (i.e. the maps), with the single sub-category of "jungle creeps" and then we get separate categories for the game modes "Dominion", "ARAM" (I think I added that one at some point or expanded on it), as well as an "Events" category for the various themed events they did (if you haven't played LoL, these were often just times where a lot of Xmas or Halloween skins were released.) In my opinion, this tree diagram is pretty ugly, having multiple roots and only one of them having a single branch.

So, right now, the structure is:
    Maps -> Jungle creatures
    Dominion -> Nothing
    ARAM -> Nothing
    Events -> Nothing

Note that right now, the wiki has a description for Dominion and ARAM mode, but doesn't really explain how the "classic" MOBA mode works. It's like describing Quake 3's CTF and TDM mode without mentioning regular deathmatch.

The way I would restructure it is the following:

Game Modes -> Classic, Dominion, ARAM, Limited Events.

This would give one root with 4 branches for the same information. The description of the map would be within its respective game mode (i.e. Summoner's Rift for classic, Crystal Scar for Dominion, etc); specifics about jungle monsters should probably be reduced (do we need a list of all the monsters?); Events would likely ignore these seasonal events, instead mentioning the temporal "mutators" Riot ran, such as Ultra Rapid Fire, Legend of the Poro King or Ascension (again, if you don't play League, these modes were available for 2-3 weeks before being removed from the game again.)

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man this is a good idea, us 5 people who play league on GB gotta stick together

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This is a where style guide for the wiki would help a lot.

Game Modes -> Classic, Dominion, ARAM, Limited Events.

I'd say go for it. Those changes makes logical sense to me.

I'd also actually recommend looking at other prominent MOBA pages like HoN and DOTA 2 and try to use a uniform general structure across MOBAs.

glancing at it, I actually think the DOTA 2 page is laid out reasonably well (although there is stuff I'd want to change looking at i, maybe replicate that kind of Structure on the Lol page?

here's the DOTA 2 one

• Gameplay
    • Chat Wheel,
    • Game Modes
      • Various modes
    • The Map
    • Buildings
      • Various Buildings
    • Runes
      • various Runes
    • Heroes
      • Strength Heroes
      • Agi Heroes
      • Int Heroes
    • Abilities
      • Unique Attack Modifiers
    • Items
      • basic items
      • Side Shops
      • upgrades
      • Secret Shops
    • Spoils of War
    • Spectating and Tournaments
    • Events
    • Development
      • Beta
      • launch
    • System reqs
    • Links

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.