Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

In the sequel to Valve's cooperative zombie shooter, a new team of four ragtag survivors must work together to survive the apocalypse, facing new Infected threats as they fight their way across the Southern United States.

Cancelled Cabin in the Woods expansion

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SomeDeliCook

THERE ARE CABIN IN THE WOODS SPOILERS AHEAD

Wow, I just read this on Kotaku about an expansion to Left 4 Dead 2 set in the Cabin in the Woods' universe. The movie's director, Drew Goddard, talked about it.

The movie was finished filming in 2009 and didn't come out until 2012 for a few reasons, the main one being the Goddard and Joss Whedon didn't want to force the movie to be in 3D which is what the producers wanted. MGM went bankrupt during this time and since the movie was delayed, the expansion was cancelled.

To quote Goddard

"We actually were going to do a downloadable L4D2 expansion pack, where you'd fight in the Cabin world, but then MGM went bankrupt so the delay squashed it. But the people at Valve were still cool enough to let us use some of their monsters to fill the cubes in the background (I had a lot of cubes to fill.)

By the way — the game was gonna be amazing. You were gonna be able to play in both the upstairs "Cabin in the Woods" world and the downstairs "facility" world with all the monsters. Believe me, I HATE all video games based on movies, they always suck, but porting Cabin into Left For Dead felt like the right fit. It pains me that it didn't happen."

This makes a lot of sense of why the Boomer (and a few other L4D infected) were in the movie with small cameos.

Also, I'm sure none of the monsters would actually be in the game besides maybe in the background killing off security and not actually interacting with the players. I can see the clown and a few others replacing a few common infected with a little bit more health, but thats about it.

The Kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/5945438/we-almost-got-a-left-4-dead-expansion-based-on-cabin-in-the-woods

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By envane

ohwell that sounds like it would have been an awesome idea , but then at the end you say it too , gameplay cant have been that different.

but yeh F that merman

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SeanFoster

I remember someone pointing out a L4D witch to me when I first saw the film.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@SeanFoster said:

The Witch, Tank, and Boomer are in separate cubes in that big wide-angle shot as the kids head down to the facility. I flipped shit when I noticed them.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By awesomeusername

I really need to see Cabin in the Woods...

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@SeanFoster said:

There was a boomer, a witch, and apparently a tank, but the last one was really blurry and obstructed.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Milkman

God, that would have been fucking rad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.