Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Crash Course Thoughts?

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Vanek

Now that it is out what does everyone think of it?

I was surprised to find when I went to download it the cost actually claimed the DLC was actually 800 points, although when I downloaded it I noticed it had taken 560.  It took me 23 minutes to finish and honestly I didn't find it that great.  It was short and just a rehash of assets from the other levels. 

I doubt I'll ever play it again which is sad considering I still enjoy the other campaigns.

jive495

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jive495

Valve said they wanted it to be short as sort of "I dont have alot of time to play and this wont take me that long" kind of thing but wasnt that what the surviavl mode was supposed to be for?
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'm hoping the GB crew do a quick look of it. Cos I'm really not sure about it... especially seeing as we're not that far away from L4D2 now.

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By mongoose

I like the length of it, and the last stand segment is pretty cool but as for the actual look of it, I agree that it's not too great.  Lot's of cars, narrow paths and re-used assets.  I was hoping for a fresh looking campaign, but that's for L4D 2.  
    Still like having a new place to mess about in though, and some cool achievements.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax

I thought the last stand at the end with underwhelming. Overall, kinda meh.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_destroyer
    @creamypies said:
    " I'm hoping the GB crew do a quick look of it. Cos I'm really not sure about it... especially seeing as we're not that far away from L4D2 now. "
    I was thinking the same thing, come on Brad, do it!
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Darkstar614

I like the new dialogue.

Francis: "Watch out for the steam pipe."
    Zoey: "Let me guess you, you hate steam?"
    Francis: "Nah, Steam's alright..."

lol @ valve 
    They also all seem to have a clip of them saying "I love Steam", just depends how it triggers i guess.

Francis: "I hate birds.."
    Zoey: "Yeah.. birds are dicks."

Edit: One more because its loius:

Loius: "OH! It's a Bitch apocalypse now!.... Bitch."

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89
    @Darkstar614: Haha, I'll need to play it for sure after reading that.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By warxsnake

I think Crash Course is garbage. I just got done playing this map in normal, advanced, and expert. There's nothing exciting about it, just just more of the same dull map design. I've honestly seen tons of better and more interesting and exciting community made maps (Dead Aboard for example). I'd be pissed if I was on xbox having paid for this crap.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CowMuffins
      This makes it the best campaign ever.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

Yes, the wall writing made me laugh my ass off.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @CowMuffins: Agreed, I loved that wall.

Also, the first time I played, it opened up with Francis saying "Alright, let me just tell you guys somethin'. I. Hate. Helicopters." Fantastic.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AndrewB

A few things I've gotta say about it: 

1) For the stated mission of creating a shorter experience that would satisfy people with little time to play, this two map addition took me over 45 minutes to beat on normal (when the other full campaigns all take me either that long or slightly more, around an hour). Although, I did die once while trying to explore where I could and could not walk to get down from a bridge.

2) With #1 in mind, and due to the general feel of the level layout and recycled bits it's obviously... well... DLC. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that if you're getting it for free on the PC, but I can't imagine recommending anyone pay for it over Xbox live if they own a 360, and let's not mention that PS3 owners don't even have the choice. 

3) On the topic of level layout, there was a moment where I was unknowingly a short distance from the end of the first map, but somehow took a side-path and got turned around. I ended up taking a path all the way back almost to the beginning of the level before I had caught on to the areas looking familiar. I'd imagine that this problem would go away with multiple playthroughs, but I never had that problem with any of the original maps. I'd imagine this can be chalked up to it being DLC, and not receiving the same level of polish as something they'd put out with the retail product. To be honest, I know little about the actual development of this DLC, so I dunno. 

4) The mid-level writing on the wall is freaking golden, though unfortunately, you can be subjected to it for the first time only once.  

5) The last stand was quite different, actually a little refreshing. Seemed like it would have been better on a higher difficulty, but I'd never been able to make it all the way to the end of a last stand on hard or higher with the AI controlled allies on the other campaigns. Also, they included an element which I'm sure will be more prominent in  Left 4 Dead 2: the "defusing the bomb in Counter-Strike" styled portions, where one survivor needs to stay at a switch and keep holding use for awhile. It's another nifty addition that seems like it would be cool in Versus mode.

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By day2daze
    @CowMuffins:  some half-clever, kind of cute text super-imposed on a pixelated canvas of fake-plaster gets you saying it's the greatest video game ever? riight, and *poof* just like that your opinion is forever invalidated.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AndrewB
    @day2daze said:

" @CowMuffins:  some half-clever, kind of cute text super-imposed on a pixelated canvas of fake-plaster gets you saying it's the greatest video game ever? riight, and *poof* just like that your opinion is forever invalidated. "

@CowMuffins said:

"This makes it the best campaign ever. "

Actually, he said best campaign ever, probably meaning best Left 4 Dead campaign ever. No reference to the greatest Video Game ever.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CowMuffins
    @day2daze said:
    " @CowMuffins:  some half-clever, kind of cute text super-imposed on a pixelated canvas of fake-plaster gets you saying it's the greatest video game ever? riight, and *poof* just like that your opinion is forever invalidated. "
    1) Learn to read.
    2) You still have the default GB avatar, your opinion is forever invalidated.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By natetodamax
    @day2daze said:
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I just played through it, it was glitchy as hell. I was walking through objects, the finishing video didn't load properly either. Also, on some rooms when I went through the door most objects outside the room dissapered, and the opposite effect when I  left the room looking in. It was a mess. It doesn't sound like anyone else had this problem, maybe it's a 360 problem only? 

Also, the poetry in the 360 version is too low resolution to read :S

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#19  Edited By Ping5000

There are some screwy ways to die. I got curious hopped over the side of the bridge. The fall shouldn't have incapacitated me, but it did. Same thing when I just into the river just to feed my curiosity. Good, fun campaign, but what the hell?

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Darkstar614

Hm,  I think I can agree that for Campaign it's "meh". I've had the most fun with it on Versus,  which is what it was designed for. "A shorter versus experience" I think was the quote for this dlc.  It's definitely pretty challenging on Versus, and you don't get burnt out with it being shorter.

Sadly the best part is the humor and characters, which is okay in my book, because well.. im on the PC! *evil laugh*

Also, Valve pretty much designed this around being free. It was only after they were mostly done(with the dlc) that Microsoft demanded that it cost money on XBL.  Which kind of ruins it I guess..

"We own our platform, Steam. Microsoft owns their platform. They wanted to make sure there's an economy of value there" - Chet Faliszek 

"They helped us get the first one out for free," explained Faliszek. "We had the one DLC out for free. And I think... they have to look and say, wow, we're kind of being unfair to everybody else if these guys can do that." 

So it isn't really fair to bash the dlc or Valve for being "inadequate", its more or less Microsoft's fault..

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By natetodamax

Realized today how glitchy it is. You can walk through everything.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I wish I could get it for free... Now I have a  "B" in the achievements ranking for that game...

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#23  Edited By SunKing

It has to be one of the most boring campaign in the whole game now. I feel like I wondering through the same old low detail buildings and around the same truck a million times before it ends up at the inevitable finale. Left 4 Dead is a great game if you have the friends to play it with, regardless. So, with that in mind, some will get enjoyment from this. Personally, I think the new campaign maps, both artistically and in terms of layout, are crap. I've seen much better stuff coming out of the modding community.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheMustacheHero

We waited 10 months for one mediocre community made level?

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Urmean

DAMN STUPID GENERATOR

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By natetodamax

Glitches have been fixed (most of them), but the achievements are totally glitched.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hitchenson
    @natetodamax said:
    " Glitches have been fixed (most of them), but the achievements are totally glitched. "
    Yep, the only one I'm able to get is for finishing the level.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By natetodamax
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " Glitches have been fixed (most of them), but the achievements are totally glitched. "
    Yep, the only one I'm able to get is for finishing the level. "
    Same
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187
    @CowMuffins: THAT IS AWESOMELY AWESOME!!! 

However, paid DLC with no achievements on a game that I barely play anymore = no thanks.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By natetodamax
    @jakob187 said:
    " @CowMuffins: THAT IS AWESOMELY AWESOME!!!  However, paid DLC with no achievements on a game that I barely play anymore = no thanks. "
    It comes with 10 achievements
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper

I played it and thought it was incredibly dissapointing. The map design wasn't interesting and I felt there was no clear direction to go or any indication you're progressing through the level in some spots. I had no idea if going through this bulding was leading me to the next area of if it was just a side path.
    The last stand part wasn't that fun to me, I can see the part where you've got to reset the generator being fun in versus but after playing the game almost every night with some buddies for a few months and then slowly petering off I have no incentive to actualy get back into the game. My middling distaste with the whole campaign was only elevated when at the end Zoey (Ai controlled) would not run into the van because she was dealing with a couple zombies. I was sitting in the van looking at her through the window shouting "COME ON!!!!! GET IN THE BLOODY VAN!" but she wouldn't do anything, then a smoker got her and my AI team mates instead of just hopping out of the van and helping Zoey walked all the way around the warehouse to the other side where they got caught up in more zombies as it's now an endless stream. We eventualy got in the van where it drives a bit and then credits.

Not a great experience but it was free so I can't complain too much but we were promised more from Valve then a 25 min campaign and a lighthouse map after 10 months.

Ps. The writing on the walls is great though, great narrative. I spent about 5 mins or more just looking around that room.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Karmum

Valve is making you pay for DLC when their sequel is coming out within a month? Does it even have any additional achievements?

That's incredibly selfish.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By mikemcn
    @natetodamax said:
    "I thought the last stand at the end with underwhelming. Overall, kinda meh. "
    I only just got it, but i'd have to agree, it was only really intense because my idiot teamate ran off on his own and got owned, so it was me and one other dude against the rest of the horde. (4th teamate died on the bridge thing.)

@CowMuffins said:
    "
      This makes it the best campaign ever. "

Its like the internet is mixing with the real world in the L4D universe .

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pause422

Tried it the otherday when I noticed a L4D updated on Steam, and realized it was that DLC. Thought it was alright but nothing great, would never pay any money for it though...and thankfully I dont have to.

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By day2daze
    @Andrew: Still a stupid thing to say. Peter Jackson's King kong has a better campaign. Actually, a MUCH better campaign (excluding of course the pitiful conclusion). So yeah still, hyperbole fail. HYPER BOOOOOOOWL!!!!!1

@ natetodamax: 
    you can go eat your tightwadcunt fuckface. Don't EVER put that nigger on a board i've commented on again. You hear me boy, don't you ever.. how you dare, you....i can't believe your audacity.

Yeahh? Well I can't believe your frivolity!

@Muffins
    There. Happy? Fag.

"Well, I can't believe your validity!"
    day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By day2daze

And Andrew if he had meant 'left 4 dead' campaign he would have said so. 

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ineedaname
    @day2daze: Had to go and be racist =/

However on a sidenote, the user created levels are the reason to get this on PC, it'd be cool if they integrated some kind of support on the 360 for that but as long as they can chard I doubt they will.
    nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nixium

Me and my bro had fun playing through it. That was enough for me since its on the PC and free.

Left4Dead 2 on the PC all the way. Free DLC is le awesome.

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By day2daze

No, not racist. I called ONE guy who happens to be black exactly what he is. I don't care if he's a yellow chickadoo with an aviation hat on, he's still an ignorant pos

...sexist..

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Insectecutor

I'm surprised how many people played this on Xbox when it's free on PC...

And to be honest it's not as good as the other campaigns, it's has little of the personality that the others have. It's very 'boxy'. Lots of boxy buildings and boxy vehicles littered around. Kind of uninspiring.

It's clear to me that Valve's focus is now on L4D2, and that is a good thing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By natetodamax
    @day2daze said:

@ natetodamax: 
    you can go eat your tightwadcunt fuckface. Don't EVER put that nigger on a board i've commented on again. You hear me boy, don't you ever.. how you dare, you....i can't believe your audacity.  Yeahh? Well I can't believe your frivolity! @Muffins There. Happy? Fag.   "Well, I can't believe your validity!" "
    What the fuck?
    superezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By superezekiel

I feel like they could've finished so much more than just one campaign in the amount of time they've had, but for free on PC I'm perfectly fine with it. 

Besides, Dead Before Dawn comes out on the 31st so I don't give a rats ass about Crash Course right now :D
    superezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By superezekiel

Side note: Day2Daze eventually banning confirmed?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Scooper
    @day2daze said:

" No, not racist. I called ONE guy who happens to be black exactly what he is. I don't care if he's a yellow chickadoo with an aviation hat on, he's still an ignorant pos  ...sexist.. "

Calling a black person a nigger is still racist you stupid ignoramus.
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @Ineedaname: I read on a magazine they were looking into this and on left 4 dead 2 they could be releasing the best community made maps as DLC for the 360 that has potential to be awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.