Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Left4Dead == Half-Life 2 Mod for 50$?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By PitifullPete

So I'm slowly gaining interest in this game. While I didn't have it on the screen at all in the beginning, all the buzz and footage got me interested. At the same time I feel like investing some time on an online experience and this one looks like it would run comfortable on my laptop. On the other hand, a thing which keeps me from preordering is that it looks like a hf2 mod. And maybe I'm one of the only people, but I don't like the hf2 engine at all. And it APPEARS to me that it has neither the content nor the polish to justify a 50$ selling point. It looks more like a 30$ game to me (mb a product similar to Team Fortress 2). What do you think?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

What? Er, no!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

Then I guess Gears of War was just an Unreal Tournament mod...just because I game uses the same engine doesn't mean it's basically just a mod.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002

Its a game in its own right, trust me. The demo will show you just how different it is.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Lunarbunny

The game has a level of polish that an amateur production would be unlikely to have.

• The post-processing/shader effects are extremely well thought out to give it the stereotypical zombie-movie feel
    • The coop elements are well thought out. You can see every group member's health, and what accessories they're carrying, as well as showing silhouettes through walls so that you can find each other if you get separated
    • The audio is extremely thorough. If you look through the files, there are nearly 4500 voice clips just for the survivors from death screams to generic banter. That doesn't even include boss zombies, weapons, and generic sound effects. Furthermore, a lot of the voice clips are helpful, from pointing out enemies to letting people know that you're hurting bad without having to look at the health bars.
    • The AI Director, while not all-powerful, gives the game a pulse, and adjusts the music thoughtfully to fit the situation.
    • If you happen to die, it relatively quickly starts you over at the beginning of the level.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

If you think Left 4 Dead is comparable to a mod, I'll be glad you are not buying the game. Do some research.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Foil_Charizard
    Lunarbunny said:
    "The game has a level of polish that an amateur production would be unlikely to have.

• The post-processing/shader effects are extremely well thought out to give it the stereotypical zombie-movie feel
    • The coop elements are well thought out. You can see every group member's health, and what accessories they're carrying, as well as showing silhouettes through walls so that you can find each other if you get separated
    • The audio is extremely thorough. If you look through the files, there are nearly 4500 voice clips just for the survivors from death screams to generic banter. That doesn't even include boss zombies, weapons, and generic sound effects. Furthermore, a lot of the voice clips are helpful, from pointing out enemies to letting people know that you're hurting bad without having to look at the health bars.
    "
    uhh this
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By mracoon

It's easily much more then a HL2 mod.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Not really. Not really at all. It's really, really, really quite different.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kush
    Oriental_Jams said:
    "Not really. Not really at all. It's really, really, really quite different."
    Very true...and oh my pooper, it's Oriental_Jams! Haven't seen you in ages.
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stevokenevo

trust everyone here.  You will barely have time to stop and admire 'effects' like HDR etc because of the random encounters each level throws at you!  The demo only last about 20 mins but i keep replaying it because something different seems to happen everytime.  I understand your scepticism as the game looks similar to hl2 but looks are not the focus of this game, unless you count the look on your face when 30 zombies pile through a wall next to you and you end up POOPing yourself  :D

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

Its far from a hl2 mod. I guess every game that uses any engine that is the same with similar mechanics( omg a first person shooting perspective using the same engine!) is just a mod of another game then by your logic.

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PartTimeNinja

No where close from being a HL2 mod.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scooper

It's not a HL2 mod, it's a modification of the latest Source engine, just like Gears is a modification of the Unreal engine.

hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By hendersonman

The demo made me want to purchase the game day one. The controls are spot on, and the fact that it is co-op shows it is more than just a Half Life mod. But then again I guess some of these opinions don't matter if you are getting it on the PC. Still the game looks to be good solid fun.

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By E_rock

Definitely check out the demo.  I can see how you could think that at face value, but the co-op gameplay is worth it.  By the looks of it, so is the versus mode.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By clubsandwich

No.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stevokenevo
    clubsandwich said:
    "No."

that literally was your 2 cents.
    blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blizzvalve

This game is definitely not a Half Life 2 Mod. Here are the reasons:

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Wow, didn't see this kind of thread coming.  -_-  /sarcasm

If you ain't satisfied with it, then gtfo.  Because otherwise, you are putting down what will likely be the best game of the year!
    PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PitifullPete

Thanks for most of your replies. Hehe, yeah I have to figure out if I can still get the demo without preordering it. Why doesnt the co-op matter if I get it on PC? I have an Xbox too I just like mouse controls if they are avialable. You guys think the community will be better on Xbox?

Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pirate_republic

Not at all. It plays like Half Life 2, in most respects, but after the demo I realized there is no way this could just be a mod.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PitifullPete

I downloaded the demo and I have to say it's much better than the videos make it. Still, I kinda feat the concept gets old after a few days. Also the servers really started not working at all after an hour or so.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By chronicsmoke

its a game like any other game,just because its uses the same engine as another game doesnt make it a mod

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atejas

CS:S, DoD:S, Red Orchestra, the Episodes and GMod are mods of HL2
    Quantum of Solace and World at War are mods of CoD4
    Fallout 3 is an Oblivion mod
    See where I'm going with this?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Red

Yes.
    And while we're at it, Halo 3 is just a Halo 2 mod, which is a Halo mod, and Fallout 3 is just an Oblivion Mod.

[/end sarcasm]

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PitifullPete

thanks for beeing so proficient in reading threads @ last three guys

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By atejas

Again, the only reason they're charging $50 for it is because of hype and scope, it apparently changes enough that it's worth it.
    As opposed to, say, Portal, which goes for 10

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper
    PitifullPete said:
    "I downloaded the demo and I have to say it's much better than the videos make it. Still, I kinda feat the concept gets old after a few days. Also the servers really started not working at all after an hour or so."

It's only a couple incomplete levels that are given to you for free so it's not too bad, the full game will have many more levels and if you're smart you'll be getting it on the PC where they'll be a huge mod community where they'll be custom maps, campaigns, skins, weapons, zombie bosses ect.... And all for free ;)
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stevokenevo
    atejas said:
    "Again, the only reason they're charging $50 for it is because of hype and scope, it apparently changes enough that it's worth it.
    As opposed to, say, Portal, which goes for 10"

also, if you dont feel that its worth $50, wait awhile and get it on the pc.  they price drop quite frequently.  I pre-ordered it from play.com for £22.99 (pc) which works out at about $35 in todays 'legal tender' 
    AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AngeTheDude

The game is pretty good from what the demo shows, but I don't really think it's worth 50 bucks. It is most definitely worth $40 though.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By Davvyk
    PitifullPete said:
    "So I'm slowly gaining interest in this game. While I didn't have it on the screen at all in the beginning, all the buzz and footage got me interested. At the same time I feel like investing some time on an online experience and this one looks like it would run comfortable on my laptop. On the other hand, a thing which keeps me from preordering is that it looks like a hf2 mod. And maybe I'm one of the only people, but I don't like the hf2 engine at all. And it APPEARS to me that it has neither the content nor the polish to justify a 50$ selling point. It looks more like a 30$ game to me (mb a product similar to Team Fortress 2). What do you think?"
    if you want to classify it as a mod thats not a problem. Its deffo a mod worth the price of admission tho
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Absurd

I've heard it has tons of replayability, and I trust Valve enough not to rip me off.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GioVANNI

The engine is just the tools of a Game Dev.  A paintbrush is an artist's tool, an artist can create thousands of paintings.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sushbag

So it's all settled then? OP is retarded, and L4D is awesome.

Carry on.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PitifullPete

Yeah I know about the levels. But I ment the concepts. You know. It's fun having zombies storm at you. But are there that many tactical possibilities in this game? I predict people will have alot of fun with it but not over a long time. A good game to pick up to play now and then.  I see it as a much evolved version of Serious Sam (Versus Gameplay, Teamplay aspects, General Engine), if you get what I mean. But Serious Sam had ALOT of different enemies, not only 5 classes ;).

I also like how people get angry when you just challange the general view on a game. Btw. I think Im gonna get it. Ah another aspect: The fun of the game depends alot on the difficulty you play (level of challange) and also with whom you play. So if you play it with people you really know I think your fun can easily be tripled :). I for myself don't know alot of people who are into videogames.
    Bummer: I kinda thought i reply to the last post on the last page, stupid me.
    Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kaido

It may be a HL2 mod- but it's a very stylized, commendably produced HL2 mod at that.

If you're looking for a fun Multiplayer romp, get Left for Dead.

(The day I refer to it as LEFT 4 DEAD is probably the day I scoop out and eat my own shit)

Soulglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Soulglove

Ok, this has been bothering me for while, he has a point to begin with. Do Xbox owners LOVe every game that comes out on there system that they overlook any unoriginal concepts or obvious copy-paste gameplay? I'm not bashing, this is a serious question. Left4Dead is seriously an obvious mod made from the slightly tweaked engine Valve has been using for 5 years. Look at the recent hacks just done for the demo---maps used on counter-strike and Team Fortress 2, which are mods themselves. Why deny it? The same texture assets, the same inconsistent AI, the same fast-moving models at half-animation. You all love the same things over and over, which is fine, but don't deny that this is anything different than anything else made.

Avatar image for deactivated-64eba2fb499a6
    deactivated-64eba2fb499a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PitifullPete said:
    "So I'm slowly gaining interest in this game. While I didn't have it on the screen at all in the beginning, all the buzz and footage got me interested. At the same time I feel like investing some time on an online experience and this one looks like it would run comfortable on my laptop. On the other hand, a thing which keeps me from preordering is that it looks like a hf2 mod. And maybe I'm one of the only people, but I don't like the hf2 engine at all. And it APPEARS to me that it has neither the content nor the polish to justify a 50$ selling point. It looks more like a 30$ game to me (mb a product similar to Team Fortress 2). What do you think?"
    counter strike ship with less maps and people still play DEdust
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Stevokenevo

@ Kaido, although its one of those annoying 'number in words titles' the 4 at least stands for the number of survivors.  Its not as bad as Driv3r.

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kaido

I guess, it still seems stupid though =/

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PitifullPete
    Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
    TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheDeadComedian
    @PitifullPete: Woah buddy, Tf2 is worth waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more than 30 dollars in terms of quality and value
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ace829
    Thread Necromancy ftw
    swf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By swf89

perhaps they should make a l4d mod for hl2

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By salad10203

I was thinking the same thing.  But I am a graphics whore, so my opinion is biased.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.