Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

The popular LEGO franchise adds Harry Potter to its list of conquests in this action-adventure from Warner Bros and Traveller's Tales. The game covers the first four books/movies, and Hogwarts acts as a main hub, containing many secret areas and unlockables.

Lego Harry Potter Demo's out. Thoughts?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS

Years 1-4 now has a demo on live arcade. I gave it a go, and it seems decent enough I suppose. 

My main issue with it is that it seems to make some real classic Lego game mistakes. First off is the sensation that every level lasts too long for its own good. This is probably my biggest problem with the series, that the levels drag on and on, even if you're not OCDing over collectables, which I often do after I finish all the levels. Second I sorta feel like the way it handles spells is crap, though I suppose they really couldn't have done anything but give us a stupid wheel of powers. Third I don't feel like the classes of character they have on display are varied enough, and the free play only gave me one more archetype to sample, that of the dark wizard. 

I feel that Batman sorta is the peak of this series. With its somewhat shorter levels, it managed to overcome mid level fatigue really well. Plus it managed an interesting mix of context based suit switching,  and traditional 2 character stuff with the villain chapters. From playing the demo, I don't feel that Harry Potter will top that. The spells should be more context sensitive, similar to Batman and Robin's suits, and perhaps a little more class based like the other games. I understand their intentions I suppose. They want to build a repertoire of spells to use in various puzzles, which the demo sorta shows with decent uses of Winguardium Leviosa and Lumos, having you stack blocks and Devil's Snare. But here's the thing, often times it seems its not really a puzzle, more of an excercize. There's no question of what spell to use when you run up to a Devil's Snare, it'll be Lumos. It'll always be Lumos. And I sorta feel the demo failed to establish if it'll always be that obvious. If whenever you see big stepping brings you'll get out Levitation. If whenever you see a mouse hole (I'm assuming here, I didn't see a mouse hole in the demo) you'll get out Scabbers. And while I suppose having each spell being that simple is fine, I don't see why it's couldn't just be context sensitive. 

I didn't really like demo honestly, and I doubt I'll get the game.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @TheMasterDS said:
    "My main issue with it is that it seems to make some real classic Lego game mistakes. First off is the sensation that every level lasts too long for its own good. This is probably my biggest problem with the series, that the levels drag on and on,"
    That's exactly how I feel about the LEGO games, and probably won't buy any more unless they're like $5.

Interesting that you said Batman overcomes that problem, though. Might check it out.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

I think I am going to skip it. I am completely over the LEGO games at this point.

ellybabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ellybabes

The HP demo is my first go at a Lego game and I was really looking forward to it, but after about 45 mins yesterday I threw down my pad in frustration. I had no problems in the classroom scene, but after going to the Forbidden Forest I just got stuck... I used spells on everything I could find to move / blow up / etc, but all I was left with was three green tendrils and these square-shaped rocks that were emitting red sparks - but I couldn't do anything with them and there was no help I could find.

Sorry to interrupt this thread to ask, but what was I supposed to do at that point? I really want to like this game, I'm very much into the RPG/puzzle genre, but so far it's doing nothing to entice me.....

Kaddion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kaddion
    @ellybabes:  The red rocks are for in Freeplay mode. You use the Death Eater you're given to break them. It is a call back to the LEGO Star Wars games, in that something that has red sparkles can only be interacted with by evil characters. The green tendrils, you use the Lumos spell (Ron or Hermione) on to make them disappear.
    ellybabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ellybabes

@Kaddion: Thank you - I'll try it again tonight and see how I get on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.