Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LEGO The Lord of the Rings

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

Traveller's Tales brings the LEGO treatment to The Lord of the Rings, following the events of all three movies.

So is anyone else looking forward to this game?

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 16

Edited By Slither_Maggot

I'm a bit behind on my LEGO game collection. I still want to pick up LEGO Batman 2, LEGO Harry Potter (both games) and now this when it's released. Granted I've actually read Lord of the Rings in its' entirety once a year for several years so naturally I was overjoyed to hear this games announcement. I have loved all the LEGO games I have played up to this point (give or take LEGO Star Wars III but I'm unfamiliar with the source material) so naturally I'm a little eager to pick this one up. I actually wouldn't be ashamed to say I'd like to pick this up the day it's released and just really lay into it. I remembered having to get used to the camera and jump physics when I played the first LEGO STAR WARS but after that it's been clear sailing and a helluva fun ride. I'm just really anxious to see how this game plays, as it seems each game has been improved upon (at least a little) from the LEGO games that came before so naturally I've got some high hopes that T.T. does this one right. I know there are a lot of naysayers for what LEGO has done with familiar franchises but what people often forget is they take away from games what they think games should be and not what they are. This game is a LEGO game so naturally it's made for a younger target audience with adults familiar with the franchise thrown into the mix somewhere. I for one can't wait for this game and hope for nothing but success with its' release.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Slither_Maggot

I'm a bit behind on my LEGO game collection. I still want to pick up LEGO Batman 2, LEGO Harry Potter (both games) and now this when it's released. Granted I've actually read Lord of the Rings in its' entirety once a year for several years so naturally I was overjoyed to hear this games announcement. I have loved all the LEGO games I have played up to this point (give or take LEGO Star Wars III but I'm unfamiliar with the source material) so naturally I'm a little eager to pick this one up. I actually wouldn't be ashamed to say I'd like to pick this up the day it's released and just really lay into it. I remembered having to get used to the camera and jump physics when I played the first LEGO STAR WARS but after that it's been clear sailing and a helluva fun ride. I'm just really anxious to see how this game plays, as it seems each game has been improved upon (at least a little) from the LEGO games that came before so naturally I've got some high hopes that T.T. does this one right. I know there are a lot of naysayers for what LEGO has done with familiar franchises but what people often forget is they take away from games what they think games should be and not what they are. This game is a LEGO game so naturally it's made for a younger target audience with adults familiar with the franchise thrown into the mix somewhere. I for one can't wait for this game and hope for nothing but success with its' release.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By living4theday258

Nah i had LEGO Star-Wars and it was Okay but not amazing. haven't owned a LEGO game ever since.

On the note of harry potter NO NEVER NOT GONA FUCKING HAPPEN. I don't like harry potter at all.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Vexxan

Might pick it up but I still have to finish LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 before moving on to the next game.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By probablytuna

I picked up Lego Batman 2 and have some great fun with it, even with its control issues. Seeing that this continues the trend of adding voice acting in the game (in particular, the voices taken directly from the Lord of the Rings movies) I am quite looking forward to this game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

It depends on whatever changes they've made. I mean Lego Star Wars III had the RTS mechanics, Lego Batman 2 the open-world HUB, so if Lego LOTR is basically just another rehash of the older games, only with voice acting, then I'm going to give it a pass until I spot it for around a tenner.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By deskp

I am looking forward to it a whole lot. Ive enjoyed all the other lego games I've played so this has a ahrd time dissapointing.

I hope we get to use wargs fell beasts, and eagles in free roam :D ..Horses are confirmed (naturaly)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

They're making a Lego Lord of the Rings?

...OK, my feelings on the series as a whole can be summed up as "cute, and I might get it for a fiver, but I'm not spending anything more on it". It was a neat little idea back when they did it with Star Wars , and it still is a bit of a novelty thing, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of time messing with any of the games.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1

Lego Batman 2 filled my Lego game needs for awhile so no.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@Vexxan: Ya, I haven't played either Lego Harry Potter game -yet- but I'm hoping to eventually. I'm the L.O.T.R. fan and my fiance is the H.P. fan so I got her both the LEGO Potter games and she says they're pretty fun so I'm planning on giving them a go. What's your opinion on Lego H.P. with what you've played so far?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

I'm sure someone is. I'm not though.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@probablytuna: I've been meaning to pick up LEGO Batman 2 and just haven't had the time to sit down and play it even if I did. Looking at some of the info available on it so far I think it looks like it could be even more fun that the first one. All the Lego games have had some minor issues as far as controls and all that but it's nothing that renders them unplayable so it's one of those things you just accept and keep playing. I don't expect Lego L.O.T.R. to be perfect either but I suspect it's going to be just as much fun as some of it's predecessors.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@Yummylee: I wouldn't blame you for wanting to wait for a price drop. I'm actually primarily a "used game only" buyer and that's if they're usually $10 or less. This is just one of those nerdy "geek bonus" games that I, personally wouldn't mind dropping the cash for but I understand completely where you're coming from.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Barrock

@living4theday258 said:

Nah i had LEGO Star-Wars and it was Okay but not amazing. haven't owned a LEGO game ever since.

On the note of harry potter NO NEVER NOT GONA FUCKING HAPPEN. I don't like harry potter at all.

Why?

Also I heard this one's gonna have RPG elements.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Vonocourt

Yep, haven't played a lego game for a good while, but the trailer got to me.

I even have the Shelob's Lair set.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MegaLombax

The thing with Lego games is that its an extremely repetitive experience. Nothing ever changes except for the characters you control. That in itself also usually means its only a cosmetic change. When I play the Lego games, at times I'll ask myself why I'm playing this, is there something I'm hoping to achieve in the later levels?

That said, I'm waiting for more information to be released on the game before deciding anything. If its going to be another cute version of established titles, I'd probably give it a pass. If they give some value to progression (apart from collecting the Lego bits), that might change things.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slither_Maggot

The thing with Lego games is that its an extremely repetitive experience. Nothing ever changes except for the characters you control. That in itself also usually means its only a cosmetic change.

@MegaLombax said: That seems to be making COD a shit-load of money ;-)

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@Barrock: You yankin' me? I hadn't read anything about that yet. If you're serious, that's freakin' awesome. Incorporating some RPG elements would be damn sweet!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Barrock

@Slither_Maggot said:

@Barrock: You yankin' me? I hadn't read anything about that yet. If you're serious, that's freakin' awesome. Incorporating some RPG elements would be damn sweet!

From a Game Informer article:

Dropping the hub format from previous games and infusing RPG elements into the formula, executive producer Nick Ricks hopes to create an epic journey that covers the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By probablytuna

@Slither_Maggot said:

@probablytuna: I've been meaning to pick up LEGO Batman 2 and just haven't had the time to sit down and play it even if I did. Looking at some of the info available on it so far I think it looks like it could be even more fun that the first one. All the Lego games have had some minor issues as far as controls and all that but it's nothing that renders them unplayable so it's one of those things you just accept and keep playing. I don't expect Lego L.O.T.R. to be perfect either but I suspect it's going to be just as much fun as some of it's predecessors.

Yeah probably. I mean I've played the first Lego Star Wars game and Lego Star Wars III but I've never kept up with the other ones. Those two Lego games were fine because they were level-based. The open world nature of Lego Batman 2 just made some of the control issues more prominent. I'm not sure if the sprint "feature" was added in just for Lego Batman 2 but couldn't they have mapped it onto a button instead of making the character speed up after a few seconds of moving about? The flying controls are a bit of a pain as well. It's certainly not unplayable, but far from making me want to wholeheartedly recommend it.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MegaLombax

@Slither_Maggot said:

The thing with Lego games is that its an extremely repetitive experience. Nothing ever changes except for the characters you control. That in itself also usually means its only a cosmetic change.

True. But COD has a bit of variety over Lego games i.e. different guns, upgrades as you play more, set pieces. Not that I'm much of a COD fan, but to me COD gives you new things to tinker around with the more you play, something that I think the Lego games lack. Heck, one of the reasons why I didn't like Lord of the Rings: Conquest was because there was no sense of progression apart from the storyline.

@Barrock said:

I'm hoping this is true.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deskp

@MegaLombax said:

That said, I'm waiting for more information to be released on the game before deciding anything. If its going to be another cute version of established titles, I'd probably give it a pass. If they give some value to progression (apart from collecting the Lego bits), that might change things.

There will be some value in progression, Aragorn will get Anduril with new powers, Galadriels gifts will no doubt give u more powers, magical cloaks, elven ropes, light of earendil etc. If you were looking for gaining levels and such then youre in no luck x]

You should read this article: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/910670-lego-lord-of-the-rings-preview-and-interview-the-one-brick

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MegaLombax

@deskp: Thanks for the article mate. Very informative. Gaining levels was wishful thinking I guess, but at least there's going to be more variety this time around :D

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@deskp: Yeah, thanks! That's awesome. Thanks for the article post! GOOD STUFF!

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@MegaLombax:Ya, having some variety is going to be an awesome change for this style of game. Looks like this could turn out to be pretty promising.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25  Edited By spiceninja

I love the Lego games and I love Lord of the Rings. So I'm picking it up.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@PlasmaBeam44: SWEET! If you didn't already, check that link that deskp posted on here. They're making it sound like it's going to set a new standard for the LEGO games and possible any other Tolkien adaptation to-date.

HulkHanson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HulkHanson

Having never owned any of the Lego games, I think this is the one I will finally purchase. Can't say I'm a diehard Tolkienist, but damn, I have loved the movies from the day they were released and that's reason enough.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@HulkHanson: That may be for the best. It sounds like T.T. is going above and beyond to make this title the best Lego game to-date.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Lava

I haven't gotten a LEGO game in some time, but this one looks really good. I will probably pick it up. Would be a fun one to play with the girlfriend.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deskp

@MegaLombax said:

@Slither_Maggot said:

True. But COD has a bit of variety over Lego games i.e. different guns, upgrades as you play more, set pieces. Not that I'm much of a COD fan, but to me COD gives you new things to tinker around with the more you play, something that I think the Lego games lack. Heck, one of the reasons why I didn't like Lord of the Rings: Conquest was because there was no sense of progression apart from the storyline.

@Barrock said:

I'm hoping this is true.

ELEMENTS, there won't be leveling up and xp and such, but you will get some new itemes now and then, and you can "craft" some new armor and weapons. Its quite far from normal rpg stuff, so don't get your expectations up.

It's still very much like the other lego games, like lego batman 2, there will be normal levels (18 i think) with a large open world hug with some activities and puzzles to play around with.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sanity

Im interested having never played a lego game before. I may pick it up at launch depending of what reviews say and the price.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed
    deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still not sure! I loved War in the North. I might have to get it just to get it.

Avatar image for secondbreakfaster
    SecondBreakfaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a fan of LOTR but being disappointed with every game that has come out since Return of the King last gen, I would be extremely happy if this game is a blast to play. With so many AAA games coming out this fall, I'm convinced that this one will disappear into the background of gaming for the time being. Here's looking forward to a cheap copy appearing on Black Friday or something along those lines.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@tysonwritesel: I still haven't picked up War in the North but I've been really eager to try it out. Good to see someone who said War in the North was actually good! Tolkien-based games carry their own charms for fans familiar with the franchise (even moreso outside of the films) so for the most part as long as there's some hidden nuggets of nerd awesomeness to a Tolkien game the true fans have a helluva good time with it.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@SecondBreakfaster: I actually like THE TWO TOWERS last gen better than Return of the King. Perfect kill ranks were a little harder to achieve and some of the enemies were a little more fun to hack through. However, Return of the King had a much grander scale of combat with vast forces coming at you all at once and you could just rack up experience like crazy. The branching story trees were also pretty cool to go through. Granted not all LOTR games have been of the best quality but each of them gives the player a few distinct things to enjoy. I mean... it is a LEGO game so it's not going to be some massive breakout game in terms of copies sold right out of the gate but I think it's going to provide a pretty fun experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.