Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Let It Die

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 03, 2016

A free-to-play souls-like ARPG with roguelike elements, developed by Grasshopper Manufacture and published by Gung-Ho Entertainment for the PlayStation 4.

Welcome to the Tower of Barbs

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Having a lot of fun with the game so far. Has anyone else had the chance to try it? There's a good amount of production value that Grasshopper Manufacture put in.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LeStephan

Its not available in europe yet but I went ahead and downloaded it through my american psn account. Only 16 more hours till the download is done. Gotta love our digital future.

EDIT(5min after my original post): Ok, now its changed to 5 hours, thats more reasonable haha

Im REALLY curious, up until psx I couldn't really muster much enthusiasm for his game but that last trailer finally showed off some of that grasshopper weirdness.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Dude what is this game?! I love Grasshopper and Suda but this seems so much more ambitious than I expected! Agreed on the production value. I love Uncle Death.

I'm waiting for the free to play stuff to rear its ugly head, though. I got up to only level 3 or so and resources suddenly became scarce and I had to go back to grind. Either way, looking forward to digging into it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoOzak

It definitely makes a good first impression, as long as you're a fan of Suda 51. (and dont mind his later stuff)

But if you're looking for a good story or something this is just pure nonsense. (not the Dark Souls "it's deep, honest" nonsense)

I've put a few hours into it and i've almost maxed out every stat. The enviroments can be a bit dull. (so far, i'm at 4f) But the combat is pretty satisfying and the weapons are fairly different from one another. It's definitely more arcadey than other souls like games and in my opinion that's a good thing. For example you have super attacks and you're encouraged to ditch weapons on a regular basis. I also like that you can store invaders (or haters) you kill and send them after people to collect loot, quite a cool system.

The F2P stuff seems to be just simple quality of life things like more inventory space and free fast travel. (which isnt expensive anyway)

But yeah i'm enjoying it so far. Lots of styyyle, it isnt too original mind you it's the same 80s fourth wall breaking gore stuff with luchador masks that's Suda's known for but i'm okay with that. Hopefully the enviroments get more interesting, and I havent had to fight a boss yet but that's another vital thing that needs to be good if I decide to continue playing.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I looked into it since I found it a bit odd that I was so close to having max in everything, but you have to buy (not with Death Metal, I believe) another fighter to allow you to get higher stats.

@boozak said:

I've put a few hours into it and i've almost maxed out every stat.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What are you guys even talking about? This game plays like something that fell out out of PS2! It's a clunky mess! The movement, the camera - all the basic stuff feels wrong. I also made it to 4th floor and the game is fun, yes, but it's seriously a flawed thing. It has some cool ideas (or better to say it expands on Souls games ideas) like sending your fighters to other peoples' games and such, but I don't see this having legs. I will play some more, I would love to see what the prices are - the purchases are not up yet tho.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@quipido: Fun and seriously flawed is what i've come to expect from Grasshopper but the movement and camera are at least on par with a game like Dead Rising.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found an easy place to grind experience is using the elevator for level 3 and fighting Coen. He's a relatively easy boss and you end up getting a good chunk of experience.

Also, my guess is that there are 40 levels to the Tower of Barbs as the tutorial tells you that there is one stamp on every floor and 40 in total. I have been looking for the third one but to be fair, I have found 3 rooms on that level.

How's everyone else doing so far?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@quipido: Fun and seriously flawed is what i've come to expect from Grasshopper but the movement and camera are at least on par with a game like Dead Rising.

Yeah, after playing some more I came to terms with the shitty movement and have more fun. Also some more PvP options open up after a while, reminds me of MGSV FOBs - you set up defenses in your Waiting room and can invade other players'. After I did that I got disconnected from my "singleplayer" tower because there is a maintenance.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only been able to play like a half hour, it seems alright. I wonder if bare fists will be viable against stronger enemies because I'm disliking how fast the early weapons break apart. I think I would rather just get very good at punching things to death.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quipido

@redyoshi said:

I've only been able to play like a half hour, it seems alright. I wonder if bare fists will be viable against stronger enemies because I'm disliking how fast the early weapons break apart. I think I would rather just get very good at punching things to death.

Each weapon (including fists) level up with use (cross-character, not lost upon death) so at the point I am now, fists are the most powerful weapon. Later the weapons start to have requirements (strenght for example) so they should be more viable at that point, I presume.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought everything about that trailer was awful, but if you guys are enjoying it that's good to hear. Don't think I'm going to bother with it, but nice to hear that some people are having a good time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

Weird to have different release dates for Europe and US on a digital only game but whatever I'll try it when I can get it normally. I enjoyed Killer is Dead for the insanity that it was, but I'm not a fan of "run" based games.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I looked into it since I found it a bit odd that I was so close to having max in everything, but you have to buy (not with Death Metal, I believe) another fighter to allow you to get higher stats.

@boozak said:

I've put a few hours into it and i've almost maxed out every stat.

So when you buy another fighter they just have a higher stat threshold automatically?

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead: I believe that each type of fighter has a different max level. You can purchase additional slots for more fighters at the Tokyo Death Metro terminal. It seems like you can have 11 in total; 1 that you control and 10 that will be in the fighter storage which can be used for expeditions or Waiting Room defense.

Hope that helps.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing a lot of positive vibes about the game, and that's a nice surprise for me as I really wasn't expecting much. Don't have a PS4, but definitely something I'll give a whirl whenever I do.

I do wish that more F2P games had some kind of 'retail option' purchase. If I really like a game but not a big guy for microtransactions, just let me drop the $50 or something that I would pay for it as a paid title and in return let me circumvent a lot of the F2P mechanics for good. I realise that maybe it's not a good money-making strategy for most F2P titles but Hi-Rez seems to make it work.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is awesome, and I think it's our duty as Duders, to get this puppy nominated for BEST STYYYYLE. Because boy, it is dripping with that wonderfully ridiculous Suda goodness.

I just love all of the systems and characters in play, feels like we are getting back into that incredible PS2 era "B-Movie" style of games.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead: I'm not to sure, I think you need to unlock the different types of fighters, 'All Around' type may just max out at +5 for everything. How you unlock different types, I have no idea.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Currently downloading now. Will be excited to play after work tomorrow. Was glad to hear it was more "Souls" than I initially thought since I saw "roguelike" on the game wiki page and unconsciously grimaced.

Feels good to be in a world where a new Suda game is out and liked.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You unlock the new fighter types around level 7 or 9 in the tower. Anyone gotten to the Jackals? If so have you tried to take them out and how did it go? Been having fun with it and have almost maxed all my starting characters.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone found anymore of the stamps? I only got two of them, and they're from the first two floors.

Sirio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing this game so much I've developed a blister on my thumb from sprinting. This is bad lol. I dumped a good 40-50 hours into it already.

Word to the wise as someone way ahead, don't get too many units at the beginning as tier 2 (And I'm guessing tier 3-4-5) characters will be unlocked that have much better stats when you hit higher levels (10+). I made the mistake of grinding a good 5 characters and later realizing Tier 2's had way better stats and scaling and had to recycle and restart a bunch of them. Should have stuck to 2 characters!

Also, while collectors seem shitty with base stats, they have some amaaaazing scaling along with the larger inventory (Esp at tier 2). Strikers are glass cannons, I'd avoid using those unless you're super advanced. They can one shot just about everything but I had haters show up and pop me in one hit due to a lucky crit (They have realllly low health)

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@nickhead: I'm not to sure, I think you need to unlock the different types of fighters, 'All Around' type may just max out at +5 for everything. How you unlock different types, I have no idea.

You unlock more by beating floors. After first boss at lv 10 you get grade 2 characters and they can level up to 40 something.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm right in the middle of FFXV right now, but the second I finish out the story I'm getting into Let it Die properly. Loved what I've played so far. Interesting to hear about how some of character progression stuff works past the first characters! Uncle Death is great. I wish there was a console with a name nearly as cool as DeathDrive 128.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiro2809 said:

You unlock more by beating floors. After first boss at lv 10 you get grade 2 characters and they can level up to 40 something.

Yes thanks everyone for the response. I was wasting time in the lower levels maximizing when I should have been trying to get as far as possible to unlock other stuff. I got to 6 last night and now have access to 2 different characters.

I assume higher level fighters can apply more decals? Also, I don't think this is the case, but there's no way to repair weapons correct? I'd love if they added combining stuff.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game rules from what I've played so far. Excepting the free-to-play and roguelike-ish elements, it feels a little like the sort of mid-budget game we'd get for the PS2, and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncle Death for best new character?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excepting the free-to-play and roguelike-ish elements, it feels a little like the sort of mid-budget game we'd get for the PS2, and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

I am not one of those people who loves to argue about what is and what is not "rogue-like", but what elements of that does Let It Die have? The perma-death, sure, but the levels are not generated, they are set, just the map dissapears and the enemies respawn when you leave?

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By YummyTreeSap

@quipido said:

I am not one of those people who loves to argue about what is and what is not "rogue-like", but what elements of that does Let It Die have? The perma-death, sure, but the levels are not generated, they are set, just the map dissapears and the enemies respawn when you leave?

Well, that's why I carefully skirted around explicitly calling it a roguelike and only said that it has "roguelike-ish elements," a pretty noncommittal statement if ever there were one. It's certainly not a roguelike, but it does pull concepts from the genre or games more adjacent to the genre. But yes, it'd be things like permadeath, its run-based nature, so on and so forth.

Plus, Uncle Death himself calls it a roguelike, so I feel justified in throwing the term around at least a little bit!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido said:

Well, that's why I carefully skirted around explicitly calling it a roguelike and only said that it has "roguelike-ish elements," a pretty noncommittal statement if ever there were one. It's certainly not a roguelike, but it does pull concepts from the genre or games more adjacent to the genre. But yes, it'd be things like permadeath, its run-based nature, so on and so forth.

Plus, Uncle Death himself calls it a roguelike, so I feel justified in throwing the term around at least a little bit!

Yeah, sorry - I didn't mean to imply you called it that directly, I was "confused" by the game calling itself that, as you said. I always took the random dungeons as the number one element for a modern rogue-like so I was a bit dissapointed when I found out it's the layout every time. Also the levels themselves absolutely feel like they are put together from premade pieces, which would be fine if they were randomized, but when you see repeating geometry even in the starting levels, it feels somewhat cheap. But tha's just a small thing. I guess the pro of this structure is you can learn the levels and progress that way.

I am really curious about the pay structure, just looking at the elevator prices going up, I think it won't be really possible to play seriously without paying later on, the prices go up way fast. Which makes me want to just put it down right away. As Vinny was asking on the bombcast: I would welcome an option for one time purchase, which would enable the elevator indefinetely and give a steady flow of currency every day or something. But essentially paying for respawns does the oposite of what Jeff said: it makes me not want to play and every time I die I have the notion of "well let's not play anymore, better to put it down now and play something else before it gets its hooks in me".

I had a couple of hours of fun with it, which is cool for free, I like the style, but between technical jankyness, long loading times and the free to playness, I think I'm done.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's not a technical masterpiece or anything, but as a free game-and a Suda51 game-I really, really like it. It's gotten my attention away from FFXV for the past couple days, if that means anything.

CrocBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is by far the weirdest game I've played in a long time.

Changes sunglasses while you're not looking

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Is there...a block button?

I played for a little while last night, but got really annoyed at not being able to roll mid-attack, and getting a lot of cheap hits thrown at me that I didn't feel I could do anything about.

I also accidentally buttoned through a tutorial message or two, so it's totally possible I missed something.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The dodge button is the block button, you just have to hold it down while not moving.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How in the serious hell is this game free to play? Like I realize there is some interestingly baked in FTP money mechanics in this, and I get that this is the era for doing all that. But boot this up, watch the intro's, watch the damn thing drip with so much style and hard work and then you begin playing and realize that it's a decently competent third person action game with some crazy neat hooks. Oh and also, free to play. Like. To me clearly a case where a developer I'd say almost encourages you to want to pay, based on the great first impression this thing nails.

That said I'm only like 3 hours in, but the games ability to jump from perspective to perspective with minimal load times connects the whole package in a very neat way. I'm curious how deep the combat really goes, as seeing some weapons be faster, able to stun lock a bit better, have reach etc is far enough, but I don't know how deep it goes into a combo system. What has everyone been using thus far weapon wise? Once I began using two hammers and alternating between the two for attacks the speed/damage output was pretty huge.

Anyway super interesting thing, the style really works for me I gotta say. The tonal shifts, from weird ass arcade retro/modern to some very random anime bullshit, and then the actual game is set in some pseudo realer looking actually sometimes horrific, dark thing. It's a strange thing this game, yeah for sure.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devise22 said:

What has everyone been using thus far weapon wise? Once I began using two hammers and alternating between the two for attacks the speed/damage output was pretty huge.

The hammer has a nice L1/R1 and it was the first weapon I was able to get to +4 and full mastery, so I relied on it for the first 10 floors. At some point I was also able to upgrade the baseball bat past +4 into its next tier so that's my highest damage melee weapon, but I don't really like the movement of it.

After floor 10 I've been seeing more and more enemies with guns, and I just got a blueprint for an assault rifle so I want to find the materials for that. If you find a blueprint for a machete, you should definitely give it a try. It's got a wide attack area so I like using it when I'm ganged up on.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is the combat supposed to be so momentum based? I feel like I'm just picking weapons with the most hitstun so that I can stun lock enemies. When they hit me I feel locked into heir attacks for a while too.

Also any tips on fighting groups of enemies? The combat doesn't feel bad, but its definitely stiff and I'm getting used to it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So is the combat supposed to be so momentum based? I feel like I'm just picking weapons with the most hitstun so that I can stun lock enemies. When they hit me I feel locked into heir attacks for a while too.

Also any tips on fighting groups of enemies? The combat doesn't feel bad, but its definitely stiff and I'm getting used to it.

Just got to learn how to pick your spots. Enemies have and infinite tether so they'll continuously follow you anywhere on the map. Except for a select few. One thing I like doing in groups is using the special punch move as an opener. At worst you should be able to hit one guy knocking him on his ass giving you a chance to possibly get some 1v1 time with another enemy at best you might be able to hit multiple guys. You can also lead them into traps and make them hit each other just remember anything that can hurt you can hurt enemies as well.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling said:

Just got to learn how to pick your spots. Enemies have and infinite tether so they'll continuously follow you anywhere on the map. Except for a select few. One thing I like doing in groups is using the special punch move as an opener. At worst you should be able to hit one guy knocking him on his ass giving you a chance to possibly get some 1v1 time with another enemy at best you might be able to hit multiple guys. You can also lead them into traps and make them hit each other just remember anything that can hurt you can hurt enemies as well.

Yeah if you can't pick apart groups and use the tether to drag them towards you, finding an enemy with a more wild weapon like a pickaxe or something else two handed and using your stamina in short bursts, you can get half hp down on some bigger groups before you even fight them.

Also if your not doing it, it's always important to fight an enemy in an area you feel must comfortable. As mentioned in the above post here, the infinite tether means you can just burst through an area that terrain wise doesn't work for your weapon type or play style. With the way momentum and stamina work in such rapid bursts in the game it's not that hard to simply for example run away from a narrow corridor into a wide open space allowing you to roll/strafe better, and set up your timing better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.