Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The final game in Lightning's story arc in the Final Fantasy XIII universe.

"Final Fantasy XIII-3" - Too much?

• 133 results
    tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tutuboy95

For those of you who missed Square-Enix's XIII announcement, due September 1st, it doesn't seem to be one related to Versus XIII. IGN reports that Square-Enix has released a teaser site, hinting at Lightning's next adventure.

Final Fantasy XIII garners a lot of hatred from many members of not only the RPG community, but the Final Fantasy community and even the gaming community as a whole. I understand that. But personally, I liked Final Fantasy XIII. The story, while not fantastic, was pretty good, the graphics were downright amazing (which, in my opinion, should not be a major factor, but when done as well as XIII it's hard not to notice), and the battle system was fun, deep (if auto-battle isn't mashed) and flashy. I disliked, however, the linearity of the game and the length and frequency of many of the battles, which could have been fun if the game didn't restrict you at every turn. While I myself didn't purchase XIII-2 (I keep telling myself that I'll do it, but too no avail), I hear that the general opinion is that the gameplay improved leaps and bounds while all but throwing the story in the gutter.

I dunno about you guys, but I found my main 3 motivations to play most Final Fantasy games are a great story, challenging and fast gameplay (slow is fine too, I guess), and fantastic presentation. While, in my opinion, XIII delivered, the continuation is way too much. XIII's ending was satisfactory, but from what I heard, XIII-2 kinda left little closure. Though they did set themselves up for a third installment, the XIII series, in my opinion, does not warrant such a continuation.

Admittedly, I understand Square-Enix's position on this. Lucratively churn out games with a fully made (and good) engine that will sell millions of copies. Low production costs, especially compared to new games, with high profit. They are a corporation. That still doesn't stop my dwindling respect of Square-Enix (and Tetsuya Nomura, but that's a wholly different story). Thoughts?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

I like Lightning as a character and I enjoyed both FFXIII and XIII-2. I am willing and eager to see Lightning's story continue in a third game, whether it be called Final Fantasy XIII-3 or something else entirely.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By NathHaw

I think the main reason I play FF games now is out of tradition...or something. Playing XIII-2 right now, about 20-some hours into it, and liking it OK. The main problem I have with it is that Square-Enix took the linearity complaint of XIII too much to heart for XIII-2. It's a little too all-over-the-place for my tastes. I am totally willing to keep on with another adventure though.

I agree with you about XIII as far as the graphics go--they were awesome.

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tutuboy95

@Hailinel: Indeed, Lightning's cool. Actually, so are Snow and Sazh. I think one of the reasons I never really picked up XIII-2 is because they don't give me access to the characters that I grew attached to over the course of the first game.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

At this rate when is Final Fantasy X-2^2 out? Or better yet when do we start adding arithmetic symbols to our RPG names to begin with?

Oh wait. But seriously, I have yet to finish XIII and I may never do it. If I do, I doubt that the 'saga' will draw me into number 2 and possibly a third.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

I'm all in. I absolutely love the world that they created for XIII and I want to spend more time with Light she is one of my favorite FF characters of all time now.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

I'm not sure I could care any less about this series of Final Fantasy.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Animasta

I'm excited, after 13-2, and i dunno about leaving little closure, there's plenty of closure... there's also an equal amount of cliffhanger stuff.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

Well that's disappointing. We'll see come September if they can get me interested, but I'd be surprised if they did.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaggE

If Star Wars went all the way to 1313, then XIII-3 is just fine.

No Caption Provided
    EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By EXTomar

Given some of the stuff hinted in the Paradox endings in FF13-2, I say "No, we need more".

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@EXTomar said:

Given some of the stuff hinted in the Paradox endings in FF13-2, I say "No, we need more".

we will never get a game about snow and sarah's time cop adventures, sadly

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By dooscent

@Animasta said:

@EXTomar said:

time... cop...

It's weird how just two words can get me completely hooked on a game. It's a shame I've spent so much money recently.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Turambar
    @Animasta said:

@EXTomar said:

I want the story of Noel playing James Bond to Hope.
    Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

@tutuboy95 said:

@Hailinel: Indeed, Lightning's cool. Actually, so are Snow and Sazh. I think one of the reasons I never really picked up XIII-2 is because they don't give me access to the characters that I grew attached to over the course of the first game.

Well they definitely show up. That was one of the main reasons I wasn't so interested in 13-2 as well, but I think I ended up coming away from that game with more respect for Noel and Caius than any of the characters in 13.

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tutuboy95

@Hunter5024 said:

@tutuboy95 said:

Well they definitely show up. That was one of the main reasons I wasn't so interested in 13-2 as well, but I think I ended up coming away from that game with more respect for Noel and Caius than any of the characters in 13.

I am aware they do, but Feral Links and gambling with Sazh really didn't really draw me in as much as it could/should have.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel

@tutuboy95 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@tutuboy95 said:

I am aware they do, but Feral Links and gambling with Sazh really didn't really draw me in as much as it could/should have.

All the same, given that Square Enix didn't even intend for this game to exist and only made it as a consolation to fix what was busted about the original, the story actually turned out well, particularly where Noel and Caius were involved. This could have easily turned into another FFX-2, otherwise.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Daroki

@tutuboy95 said:

I dunno about you guys, but I found my main 3 motivations to play most Final Fantasy games are a great story, challenging and fast gameplay (slow is fine too, I guess), and fantastic presentation. While, in my opinion, XIII delivered, the continuation is way too much. XIII's ending was satisfactory, but from what I heard, XIII-2 kinda left little closure. Though they did set themselves up for a third installment, the XIII series, in my opinion, does not warrant such a continuation.

Left little closure? FF XIII-2 left little closure the way that a battle axe leaves little openings. (Come on... the ending had a big "TO BE CONTINUED" which means it wasn't an end.)

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By llamaegg

Man, the fact this is now getting third freaking game is almost making me want to grab XIII and XIII-2 and give them a play. Almost.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I liked FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Bring on FFXIII-3 I say!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#21  Edited By Slag

I'll never argue against more content. I don't see how an Xiii-3 hurts anything.

But if they are doing Xiii-3 instead of an XV, I'd rather they make XV.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'm waiting for XIII-5. 

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MiniPato

Eh, don't really care for Lightning's character. Thought she was kind of a bitch. There is a turn in her character where she stops being so cold, but then she just goes from cold to boring. That and she fed into why I hated Hope so much. She's a terrible surrogate mother.

Sazh was the most interesting character in FFXIII. The interaction between him and Vanille was probably the only time I was really invested in the story. It's a shame that he's relegated to the wise cracker throughout the rest of the game after his character arc is over. We get a game focusing on him and then I'm interested. But I have no investment in Lightning even if the cover art of all the games say she is the main character.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NegativeCero

Not interested, but more power to them if people enjoy them and they sell.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As far as I can tell, most people who liked FFXIII liked XIII-2 as well. Thus, I imagine a demographic is being served with such a sequel? Personally, I was out when I heard that XIII-2 did not feature a massage minigame or 30-second Sailor Moon-esque transformation sequences, but I'm not going to say I have a problem with such a game existing if the plot demanded it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy

I completely loved both XIII and XIII-2, although I think XIII was the better game. XIII-2 definitely shines though. Can't wait for this, and can't wait to actually be able to play as Lightning again, NOT stuck in a commando role as she was in the XIII-2 DLC!

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Toxin066

@ShaggE said:

If Star Wars went all the way to 1313, then XIII-3 is just fine.

No Caption Provided

Oh, you.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IBurningStar

I didn't like XIII (In fact, I hated it), but I really enjoyed XIII-2. I'm not really sure how I feel about XIII-3 because it sounds like it is going to be focused on Lightning again, which isn't what I really want. I'm more interested in Noel and Hope's story and where they go after XIII-2's bummer ending. I'm already sold on the idea of XIII-3, but making it Lightning centric again means it probably wont be a day one purchase.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta

@IBurningStar said:

I didn't like XIII (In fact, I hated it), but I really enjoyed XIII-2. I'm not really sure how I feel about XIII-3 because it sounds like it is going to be focused on Lightning again, which isn't what I really want. I'm more interested in Noel and Hope's story and where they go after XIII-2's bummer ending. I'm already sold on the idea of XIII-3, but making it Lightning centric again means it probably wont be a day one purchase.

it has to be lightning. I'm sure Noel, Hope will be there, but Lightning is kind of the lynchpin.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@IBurningStar said:

it has to be lightning. I'm sure Noel, Hope will be there, but Lightning is kind of the lynchpin.

And the way that FFXIII-2 ended, and the way that ending was augmented by the Lightning episode DLC, it's hard to imagine it being focused any other way.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By adoggz

Wake me when they get to FF13 13

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Vinny_Says

@adoggz said:

Wake me when they get to FF13 13

no they will spin off the XIII name and then there will be a studio making FF and a studio making FFXIII and they will alternate each year....i dont know if there will be a lawsuit as well....

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Joeyoe31

I liked both FF13 and FF13-2 but I'm getting sort of tired of the universe/characters. They should definitely finish this saga off but if there is any sort of game past 13-3 I'm gonna flip.

I'd rather just have a whole new FF game.

Avatar image for divineshadow777
    DivineShadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DivineShadow777

I want another FF13 because Sazh Katzroy is one of my all time top Favorite Video Game Hero's and I want to see his story continue. Him and his Frocobo make an awesome comedy duo.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

FF XIII's gameplay and story left me wanting, but I liked the idea behind the world. XIII-2 seemed like it would be more fun to play, but Serah and some new guy as the main characters all but crushed any chance of me enjoying that one. If XIII-3 revolves around Lightning being a bad-ass and is more exciting/open than XIII was, it might be the first of all of them that I actually finish.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta

@Make_Me_Mad said:

FF XIII's gameplay and story left me wanting, but I liked the idea behind the world. XIII-2 seemed like it would be more fun to play, but Serah and some new guy as the main characters all but crushed any chance of me enjoying that one. If XIII-3 revolves around Lightning being a bad-ass and is more exciting/open than XIII was, it might be the first of all of them that I actually finish.

come on, there's nothing wrong with serah and noel.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Petiew

I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 was even better. Looking forward to this game. Hopefully it's the last in the 13 series though, don't want to get oversaturated and bored with it.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By ProfessorK

Having not played either of the XIIIs, I don't care. But goddammit I want Versus already!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@Animasta said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

I'm sure they're probably not bad given a game to do their own thing, but through all of XIII Serah was just the worst (to me). I really wasn't in the mood to see her promoted to main-character status following my experiences with her in XIII, and when it was revealed that her and the new guy (plus a spot for monsters, which I actually thought was awesome) were the only party members, I just kinda lost interest in actually playing it. Mind you, I played through most of XIII while hating a good portion of the party already (everyone but Lightning, Fang, and Sazh, pretty much. Vanille was okay at times.). I kept up with the plot, however, and if nothing else it was more coherent and had a better villain than XIII proper.

XIII-3 might very well be good. I hope so, because I wanna be excited for a Final Fantasy game again, but my tastes in the series have always veered a bit off from most. I thought IX was the best of the "modern" games, didn't really enjoy IV or VI, and thought the characters in X were actually pretty alright. The odds of me getting a FF to my tastes is probably slim to none with the direction they've headed, and that's not a bad thing- just bad for me personally.

Edit: Modern should really be in quotes up there. That game hasn't been modern for years.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#40  Edited By StarvingGamer

FFXIII had the best combat system in a JRPG to date. Why wouldn't I want two more games of it?

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By clumsyninja1

The only game that gamers care is FF7 and maybe Versus. Everything else that Square makes is just flat.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Phatmac

I have no interest in the Final Fantasy franchise after being bored to death by FF13's god awful pacing. I don't think I'll ever play another FF game by this rate. I think I'm okay with that.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#43  Edited By jacksukeru

I picked up FF13 again a few days ago, that game is fucking weird and managing all the things like buffing, healing and the enemy's combo gauge (specifically during a bossfight I encountered) was stressfull as hell. I'm still in the early goings (hour 14 I think) and I'm both looking forward to and dreading playing more of it.

And I really do want to catch up so that also can play 13-2 before they make some sort of announcement on their next game. Uh, I better get going then I guess.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunslingerPanda

FFXIII was a pretty great game. FFXIII-2 was okay but had some massive problems and took a dump on XIII's great ending, but was still mostly enjoyable. But I have zero interest in any more XIII stuff, especially if the focus is on Lightning.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shaka999

I have no interest whatsoever because I've been waiting for Versus for 6 years and we have to wait for the Lightning Saga to be over before any word of Versus can be spoken, apparently. That, and I didn't enjoy XIII other than a few moments with the battle system.

I'm just curious, but for those of you that like XIII (or more specifically the story/characters), what did you guys like about the characters? I really tried to get into the story, but I just couldn't (and I'd be happy to extrapolate on that, but I don't want to come across as malicious).

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MiniPato

@Animasta said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

There's nothing to hate about them, but there's nothing to like about them either. They weren't very compelling protagonists. The strength of XIII-2 was in the gameplay. I actually really enjoyed XIII-2 much more than XIII just from the gameplay tweaks they made. But I felt they took a step back in terms of story. The story spins its wheels a lot of the time, treading over the same points that the player has already discovered. Plus they have this whole cast of characters in XIII that they just kind of tossed to the side in favor of what felt like a very small B-team cast. But at the same time, Serah and Noel are a blank slate on which Square could polish what was so wrong with XIII.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Morrow

I like Lightning as a character and I enjoyed both FFXIII and XIII-2. I am willing and eager to see Lightning's story continue in a third game, whether it be called Final Fantasy XIII-3 or something else entirely.

This. I'm a FF newbie, never owning a PS2, but Lightning is probably the best female video game character this generation.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Vexxan

I wouldn't mind getting another game about Lightning, she's pretty much the only FF13 character I care about.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

No! Would rather have FFXV

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By aurahack

I'm amazed they even made an FFXIII-2, so whatever at this point. If people want to keep playing it, that's whatever. I'd rather they spend their efforts on something more productive, however.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.