Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The final game in Lightning's story arc in the Final Fantasy XIII universe.

Yo son... come get that hot hot Lightning Returns Trailer!

• 120 results
    korkesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By korkesh

@xyzygy: I guess 13-2 started to dabble in the appearance changes with the costumes, I kind of liked what they were trying to do with it and as you said I hope they expand more on this idea. Also I guess the smart ass answer would be the MMO's would have gear alter appearance. If this action-RPG feel is a preview of what versus 13 is going to have it just makes me more anxious now for its release.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By IBurningStar

I just want to know who was narrating the trailer. I think it sort of sounded like Noel. I don't even remember Noel's voice that well, but it reminded me of Noel. I would be all for Noel polling back up. He was a pretty good character, as far as FF characters go. I mean, they generally piss me off to no end, but he managed to not be annoying, so I consider that I good thing. Yes, I do have extremely low standards when it comes to judging FF characters.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By DocHaus

Can't they just move on to FFXV now? Or maybe make a spiritual sequel to Last Remnant with better gameplay mechanics?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@Pepsiman said:

As someone who's never played any of the XIII games, the only thing that stands out to me personally in that trailer aside from that delightful frame rate is that innocuous pole in the middle of the city. I just like how it seems to be there mostly because it can be there and nothing else.

You see, the purpose of the pole is to remind you that Lightning isn't wearing pants. The whole goal of this game is you have 13 days to find a decent pair of pants for Lightning.

Sidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Sidoran

@Pepsiman: Maybe there's a barber shop next to it.

Nah, you're right. It's more fun to think that it's there for no reason other than "WOOOOO JUMP TIME!!!"

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ExplodeMode

I thought it was supposed to be an action game now? The combat just looks like FF13 with 1 party member. And her jumps look like the scripted FF13 jumps.

Also, HOLYSHIT that city looks terrible in every shot.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By Snail

Eh, I guess I should play a Final Fantasy game some day. Why not this one?

I wonder if this will come out on next-gen consoles. I don't know whether it's the game or the video that's responsible the frame-rate issues, but at times those visuals sure looked like a bit much for current-gen platforms. So when you add that to the vague "2013" release date, it might very well be a possibility.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ExplodeMode

@Snail: This game? I thought it was coming out in like March/April. Pretty soon.

e - I googled. I guess that was just a rumor with nothing concrete. Weird, I was sure this game was coming out soon.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

So, when do Lightning and Hope get together and make babies?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Pepsiman said:

As someone who's never played any of the XIII games, the only thing that stands out to me personally in that trailer aside from that delightful frame rate is that innocuous pole in the middle of the city. I just like how it seems to be there mostly because it can be there and nothing else.

Click it to make the magic GIF come to life!
    Click it to make the magic GIF come to life!

That gif confirms the return of Chocolina. That candy cane printed pole does stand out something fierce. Wonder if thee is going to be light platforming in the game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Animasta

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

hope turned it around in 13-2, hes both hot and not annoying

also

I seriously don't get you people who say 13 is better than 13-2

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@Animasta said:

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

So, all the more reason for them to be making babies, right?

Right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#63  Edited By musubi

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

@Animasta said:

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

So, all the more reason for them to be making babies, right?

Right?

I'm sure there is some sort of er...fan fiction out there.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@Demoskinos: But, like, it's not the same. You know what I mean.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#65  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Condescending hateful comment about Final Fantasy

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Joeyoe31

Looks neat.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I will probably play this since I liked FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By smokeyd123

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Demoskinos: Lightning strikes me as an unremarkable character, not terrible granted and certainly no Hope but not really anything special either. Karen from Shadow Hearts: Covenant is probably the best female character I can think of and exceeds Lightning in virtually every regard up to and including usefulness in combat.

Karin? Really? I thought she wasn't much of a character at all. Sure she had her moments (very few of them) but that love subplot was just forced down our throats at the end and made me very unhappy. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Regardless, this looks... alright. I never did understand the fiction in XIII. I'll get a free copy when it comes out and see how it is.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#69  Edited By Hailinel

It's nice to finally see some footage of the game. I'm really looking forward to it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By probablytuna

That title still sucks.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By geirr

Eh... well, her shades were interesting.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Subjugation

It was reassuring to see others in the thread notice the frame rate problems in a promotional trailer of all places. I'll also echo the sentiment that the city looked really ... dated. I don't mean architecturally. I mean those textures were ... yikes. I'm not saying this stuff to be all video game snob, I'm completely serious.

I haven't played a FF game since 9, and you know what? I feel like I left on a high note so I plan to keep it that way so I don't sully the memories. Vivi is a boss and to this day I still believe Kuja is gender confused.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Animasta

@Subjugation said:

It was reassuring to see others in the thread notice the frame rate problems in a promotional trailer of all places. I'll also echo the sentiment that the city looked really ... dated. I don't mean architecturally. I mean those textures were ... yikes. I'm not saying this stuff to be all video game snob, I'm completely serious.

I haven't played a FF game since 9, and you know what? I feel like I left on a high note so I plan to keep it that way so I don't sully the memories. Vivi is a boss and to this day I still believe Kuja is gender confused.

Final Fantasy has always been like this, you're tastes have just changed; and final fantasies are so different from iteration to iteration that I can say I fuckin hate 10 with a passion but 12 is my favorite.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#74  Edited By Humanity

How does the battle system work with only one person? I only played XIII - did they revamp something about it in XIII-2 where one person would be enough?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#75  Edited By musubi

@Humanity: This game is a departure from the battle system of the last two. FFXIII-2 played just like FFXIII there were just a bunch of tweaks to it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Humanity

@Demoskinos: Well I enjoyed the whole party role based paradigm system. I hope that with only one person it won't get boring - but maybe you get party members? The trailers make it look like it's kind of a solo game. Then again that trailer barely grabbed me so unless they release some really cool gameplay I doubt I'd get it. I considered getting XIII-2 for a while since I actually liked XIII but it just seemed like they went too heavily in the direction I don't really like in that one.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Animasta

@Humanity said:

@Demoskinos: Well I enjoyed the whole party role based paradigm system. I hope that with only one person it won't get boring - but maybe you get party members? The trailers make it look like it's kind of a solo game. Then again that trailer barely grabbed me so unless they release some really cool gameplay I doubt I'd get it. I considered getting XIII-2 for a while since I actually liked XIII but it just seemed like they went too heavily in the direction I don't really like in that one.

depends on what you don't really like; I hated 13 because the pacing was garbage, the story was barely there, I could not put sweet hats on chocobos.

well okay I only retroactively hated 13 for that last one but still, 13-2 is easily superior to 13 and I have no idea why people think otherwise; 13 had a terrible villain, 13-2 has the best final fantasy villain ever made IMO

13-2 is also worth it just to see the ending, which you willl either love or think it's the worst ending that side of ME3

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Humanity

@Animasta: I actually thought the story in XIII was pretty mature for a Final Fantasy game. The theme of growing up, coming to terms with your past and having the courage to face the future no matter how scary seemed really interesting to me - even if the word "destiny" seems really overused in Japanese games. Granted I don't know MUCH about XIII-2 apart from what I saw in the trailers but it seemed like "time travel this and time travel that" - weird Jrock and multiple world planes. I guess as silly as it sounds to say about a JRPG, it all looked a lot more Japanese than I cared for.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Animasta

@Humanity: oh trust me you will LOVE 13-2, that's a very big story theme in it (facing the future despite the risks). I found it much more mature than 13, which tried to do a lot of stuff and didn't really succeed a whole lot (the one place it did was Oerba, which was haunting, but 13-2 has something like that only way more sad).

I mean there are definitely parts designed for humor and shit, and it doesn't entirely work all of the time, but it succeeds much more than 13 did imo.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Humanity

@Animasta: In that case I might check it out. I've been looking for a game to play lately and none of the current titles are really grabbing me because I feel as if everything coming out lately completely lacks substance. Sure Far Cry 3 looks really cool but at this point in time I don't know if just mindlessly wondering around an island and murdering "things" is enough to sustain my interest. Similarly I've almost bought Sleeping Dogs several times now but I just keep having this nagging feeling that I'll be simply "going through the motions" of playing an open world game.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rokkaku

This looks...bad. Okay, it doesn't show too much, but what's there is a rather bland looking city (are they any other colours than grey/stone) and a strange montage of Lightning jumping her away around the world and sliding down poles like a crazy person. And those sunglasses at the end, she is not a character with the clout to pull that off. I mean, who does that any more?

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Animasta said:

I am still really confused on how this new city got formed; Is it the city on Bhunivelze or whatever the fuck it was, the new cocoon?

No Caption Provided
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SomeJerk

A trailer full of nope and no thanks. Here's hoping they let Tri-Ace make a game next.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Animasta

@PixelPrinny: there are no aliens in japanese games wtf you about mate

GODS MAN

@SomeJerk: how about tri ace stick to games like a spiritual sequel to resonance of fate or something

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Animasta said:

GODS MAN

WILD ARMS 3 WOULD BEG TO DIFFER, MAN.

I saved the planet from an alien invasion, I did! At least I think I did. I fought some weird tower things cause some dude named Roswell told me that we were being invaded by extraterrestrials. I only did a few of the battles before I stopped. It was pretty darn boring and unchallenging (if that's even a word).

AND BESIDES.

Final fantasy is cutting edge! It blurs the lines between Japanese games and American games, fusing them to become Jamericanese games.

With aliens.

And sunglasses.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#86  Edited By landon

I am so tired of FF13. I really want to see more of Versus13, or a brand new FF at this point.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Animasta

@PixelPrinny said:

@Animasta said:

GODS MAN

I saved the planet from an alien invasion, I did! At least I think I did. I fought some weird tower things cause some dude named Roswell told me that we were being invaded by extraterrestrials. I only did a few of the battles before I stopped. It was pretty darn boring and unchallenging (if that's even a word).

AND BESIDES.

Final fantasy is cutting edge! It blurs the lines between Japanese games and American games, fusing them to become Jamericanese games.

With aliens.

And sunglasses.

bioware already did that with DA2

game is JRPG as fuck

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Animasta said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@Animasta said:

GODS MAN

AND BESIDES.

With aliens.

And sunglasses.

bioware already did that with DA2

game is JRPG as fuck

No wonder it sucked so much then. Trollololololol!

/didntactuallyplayDA2OnlygotuptothepointwhereIfuckedAlistairinDA1thenquitcausethatplotwasasnoozer.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#89  Edited By Mnemoidian

While neither FFXIII or FFXIII-2 were amazing, I still think they get a lot more hate than they deserve.

Besides, I really like the Lightning character, so I'll probably get this just to end that journey, even if the glasses moment at the end was really corny. *shrug*

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BlatantNinja23

after finally getting to FF XIII I'm actually enjoying it, I just really like the combat. Sure I've enjoyed more of what I've played of IV or VI, but I like it a lot more than I ever did VII. I just find VII unplayable now.

Still waiting for Versus XIII, Square Enix.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By Vexxan

FFXIII was decent, FFXII-2 was pretty good so I'm sure I'll buy this. That being said, this trailer is weird on so many levels.

Hey, at least the battle theme is still there, best thing FF13 brought to the table overall.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#92  Edited By linkster7

@Freezer_Burn said:

Man, you can really hear the Liara in Lightning's voice.

You just blew my mind.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

Oh my god. That character design. Lightning x Ezio x Darth Vader fetish gear x Giant shield arm x ADAM JENSEN GLASSES. That's so preposterously great, I love it! I want to go to S-E and personally thank everyone involved in bringing something so ridiculous into existence.

I really liked XIII, but never played XIII-2 despite being interested in it. This just makes me want to go back and see what the fuck happened between XIII and this trailer that made everything so crazy. Dodgiest of frame rates aside (man that best improve, because if you're showing that off in a debut trailer, hoo boy), the wtf-ery alone makes me want in on this.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Petiew

I'm pretty excited for this game. I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 so looking forward to see how they wrap the whole thing up.

Looks like its going to have a Majora's Mask type of structure. 13 days to save the world. In interviews they've talked about individual days playing out over a couple of hours, with time specific sidequests and possibilities to speed up or slow down the flow of time with Lightning's actions. Explains the reported shorter length and replayability factor they keep talking about.

Avatar image for marsvshollywood
    MarsVsHollywood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MarsVsHollywood

I'm intrigued by this series, but I don't know if I'll ever bring myself to beat the first game. Several attempts, and I still find myself quitting due to boredom or having something better to play. FFXIII is a proper sleep aid for me, but I know people that absolutely loved the first two games. The story is definitely interesting, but the game play just doesn't do it for me.

The trailer was decent, but the frame rate issues are unacceptable. Sure, it's a trailer, but do they really think that people aren't going to notice it?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Hunter5024

The new costume's stupid cool. There was something oddly empty about seeing only Lightning in those fights, I wonder how well the combat will hold up with only one character, I know they're going for more of an action vibe with this one, but idk. Still I want to play this game... damn it I hate myself.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By jimmyfenix

fuck this game . thank god tetsuya nomura is heading versus 13

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#98  Edited By kerse

I'm looking forward to this, sue me.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

These trailers pretty much spoil the games, FF XIII-2 showed lightning died at the end of XIII and this one shows she must of came back alive. Im so over everything about 13 make 15 already Square and I don't care about eyelash technology just make a good game.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Ducksworth

So I guess HD towns are possible for Square-Enix, they just have to look like garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.