Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2008

Lead the way as a player-created Sackperson in the highly customizable side-scrolling world of LittleBigPlanet, where players can play, create, and share 2.5D levels with their friends and the whole PSN community.

Bad Habits of Gaming #1 "The Hidden Package Fiasco"

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Edited By Soap

Hidden Packages, Blast Shards, Orbs, Treasures, call them what you will. There curse has spread its way over gaming in ways that I never thought would happen.

My first experience with this was during Grand Theft Auto 3, it was the first truly open world game that I had ever played and collecting the hidden packages was actually kind of fun. The reward of being able to pick up free weapons and power ups from outside of your house was greatly appealing and really helped to make the end of the game pretty easy.

I’m not sure if this was the first game to include such an idea, but as with most things in Grand Theft Auto 3 it was certainly one of the things that caught on in a big way, not just in future Grand Theft Auto games, but also in other sand box games and eventually it even spread into more traditional games.

Stop chasing me a second guys, I need to go collect that package!

As the generational shift of games consoles happened this became more apparent than ever, and now with trophies and achievements it’s gone from being something optional for in game benefits to something that is usually required to complete if you want to truly finish a game to 1000 gamer points, or to unlock that platinum trophy. This in turn has made it incredibly frustrating, why does every single sandbox game need these? Why do they have to be so obscure? And why do I always have to always have one missing by the end?

This problem has come into effect for me in a massive way recently, and when I say recently I mean within the last 24 hours. Don’t get me wrong I’ve had a problem with these damn things since Crackdown but within the last 24 hours I have collected all 179 treasures on Tomb Raider Underworld (twice, as one of them glitched towards the end of my first play through) all 350 Blast Shards in Infamous and all of the 1001 light seeds from the Prince of Persia.

Hey, screw Ahriman I want to collect LIGHT SEEDS...YAY!

Other than for purely extending the play time of their games, I can’t understand why developers continue to include them in their products. I personally believe they can actually ruin the game by making you very aware you are playing a game. That first moment when you find number 1 of however many is a moment I dread as I then have to make the decision. Do I collect them all as I see them, and hope they are in an easy enough place that I can collect them all by the end of the game, without missing any? Or do I avoid them like all holy hell so that when I do finish the game I can use the only method I find to be truly effective and to systematically check every single location using some kind of map, checking off each location as I find it.

In my experience I haven’t found a single person who doesn’t dread the “hidden package experience” as I call it, so why do they keep this stuff in games? As games shift and change into the modern versions we see today, how is it that this incredibly archaic way of doing things has managed to survive so long?

I have full respect for which ever open world game takes the plunge, and is the first to omit this dark side of gaming forever.

Thanks for reading.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Soap

Hidden Packages, Blast Shards, Orbs, Treasures, call them what you will. There curse has spread its way over gaming in ways that I never thought would happen.

My first experience with this was during Grand Theft Auto 3, it was the first truly open world game that I had ever played and collecting the hidden packages was actually kind of fun. The reward of being able to pick up free weapons and power ups from outside of your house was greatly appealing and really helped to make the end of the game pretty easy.

I’m not sure if this was the first game to include such an idea, but as with most things in Grand Theft Auto 3 it was certainly one of the things that caught on in a big way, not just in future Grand Theft Auto games, but also in other sand box games and eventually it even spread into more traditional games.

As the generational shift of games consoles happened this became more apparent than ever, and now with trophies and achievements it’s gone from being something optional for in game benefits to something that is usually required to complete if you want to truly finish a game to 1000 gamer points, or to unlock that platinum trophy. This in turn has made it incredibly frustrating, why does every single sandbox game need these? Why do they have to be so obscure? And why do I always have to always have one missing by the end?

This problem has come into effect for me in a massive way recently, and when I say recently I mean within the last 24 hours. Don’t get me wrong I’ve had a problem with these damn things since Crackdown but within the last 24 hours I have collected all 179 treasures on Tomb Raider Underworld (twice, as one of them glitched towards the end of my first play through) all 350 Blast Shards in Infamous and all of the 1001 light seeds from the Prince of Persia.

Other than for purely extending the play time of their games, I can’t understand why developers continue to include them in their products. I personally believe they can actually ruin the game by making you very aware you are playing a game. That first moment when you find number 1 of however many is a moment I dread as I then have to make the decision. Do I collect them all as I see them, and hope they are in an easy enough place that I can collect them all by the end of the game, without missing any? Or do I avoid them like all holy hell so that when I do finish the game I can use the only method I find to be truly effective and to systematically check every single location using some kind of map, checking off each location as I find it.

In my experience I haven’t found a single person who doesn’t dread the “hidden package experience” as I call it, so why do they keep this stuff in games? As games shift and change into the modern versions we see today, how is it that this incredibly archaic way of doing things has managed to survive so long?

I have full respect for which ever open world game takes the plunge, and is the first to omit this dark side of gaming forever.

Thanks for reading.

jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jonsnow007

They are a cheap way of extending the length of the game and giving the player something else to do.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

theyre in there for obsessive compulsive types. the agility orbs in crackdown benefited you  up to a point. You can just ignore them, it's the same as achievements/trophies 
    If you dont care for them just ignore it...  I enjoy it..but then again is till collect all the lego studs in the lego games even though I have maxed out the money counter.
     you missed the biggest offender though.... the flags in assassins creed
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Guess what: Don't try to collect em and you won't have any problem.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Without some point to exploration, you're looking at a bunch of non-interactive buildings or landscapes.  I liked finding hidden packages in GTA III, and I continued to like collecting them elsewhere because it gave me an excuse to really explore every little spot on the map.  If they didn't have that, a lot of the map might not have as much of a reason for being there (you can only look at so many alleyways before it all looks the same).  Hidden trophies give you a sense that around every corner could be something new.  It comes down to how much you like to explore, and how much of a reward you need for exploring.  

As long as you make this optional it's OK, or as long as your game concentrates on exploration and lets these hidden packages be a way of gauging how much you've explored.  It does ruin immersion when they're not really connected to the world; hell, even hidden packages float above the ground and glow in GTA III, which makes things feel less-than-immersive.

If they're not necessary to complete the game, it's best to give one's complete-itis a rest and not get obsessed with collecting them.  I think they're fun, but obviously others don't.  That's OK, but don't blame the game for having an extra feature you don't like to complete, unless it's required.  The latest Prince of Persia could be considered guilty of that, but games like GTA never required you to find anything.' 

I do think they could do more to improve how we know we've explored a place already.  Revealing the map doesn't help, because we may have not been looking in the proper direction.  They should be a bit more thorough with how these hidden packages get cataloged once they're found, to help make it easier on those of us who have ALMOST completed our collection and are going, yes, a bit crazy trying to find the last few...

jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jonsnow007

Ignore these fools, if you went around in real life just collecting anything you feel like, you'd be eventually be placed in a jail cell. So I say do it if your feeling naughty. 

But I don't wish to be a hypocrite here because recently I did suggest an idea for a game which basically had you, the protaganist eating(or collecting depending on which way you look it) beer and pizza in a time based scenario. At the end of each level you would basically hang a massive stinky dump, with the mass and smell corresponding to the amount of beer and pizza which had been consumed(collected), So you gotta use your brain for moment and you will see that noble gaming ideas such as the one that I've just proposed would be hard to produce if your scheming is sucessful and all collectables have been banned. 

You damned heretic you. Now I have a sizzling log in my  breeches because of your damned suggestions. I hope you get prostate cancer and die. 

kthxbye.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't mind them in games where the world is fun to explore, or when I can find them by just playing the game and then it gives me some cool littles benefit 
    What I hate though is...when there are thousands to collect and they make playing the main game easier by powering you up........that's just a shitload of fuck

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c1337us
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Guess what: Don't try to collect em and you won't have any problem. "
    Unless you are playing Prince of Persia. Because at some point you need light seeds to progress further.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Suicrat

Okay, any game that makes you collect 1000 of something that is unevenly distributed throughout the map is a bad game. But complaining about something that is totally optional seems to be a waste of time.

Because what it's doing is laying bare the fact that completionism is itself a waste of time.

jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jonsnow007
    @jonsnow007 said:

" Ignore these fools, if you went around in real life just collecting anything you feel like, you'd be eventually be placed in a jail cell. So I say do it if your feeling naughty.  But I don't wish to be a hypocrite here because recently I did suggest an idea for a game which basically had you, the protaganist eating(or collecting depending on which way you look it) beer and pizza in a time based scenario. At the end of each level you would basically hang a massive stinky dump, with the mass and smell corresponding to the amount of beer and pizza which had been consumed(collected), So you gotta use your brain for moment and you will see that noble gaming ideas such as the one that I've just proposed would be hard to produce if your scheming is sucessful and all collectables have been banned.  You damned heretic you. Now I have a sizzling log in my  breeches because of your damned suggestions. I hope you get prostate cancer and die.  kthxbye. "

Good lord what is wrong with you?
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By EVO

Great blog, but you forgot LittleBigPlanet.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60
    @jonsnow007 said:
    " @jonsnow007 said:

" Ignore these fools, if you went around in real life just collecting anything you feel like, you'd be eventually be placed in a jail cell. So I say do it if your feeling naughty.  But I don't wish to be a hypocrite here because recently I did suggest an idea for a game which basically had you, the protaganist eating(or collecting depending on which way you look it) beer and pizza in a time based scenario. At the end of each level you would basically hang a massive stinky dump, with the mass and smell corresponding to the amount of beer and pizza which had been consumed(collected), So you gotta use your brain for moment and you will see that noble gaming ideas such as the one that I've just proposed would be hard to produce if your scheming is sucessful and all collectables have been banned.  You damned heretic you. Now I have a sizzling log in my  breeches because of your damned suggestions. I hope you get prostate cancer and die.  kthxbye. "

Good lord what is wrong with you? "
    I think somebody forgot to use his other account.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Why is this on the LBP forum?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Soap
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " Why is this on the LBP forum? "
    I put it on General Discussion when I pressed submit but it went onto the LBP one anyway lol... weird.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As long as there is some form of in-game benefit I am fine with stupid random collectibles. However, Assassin's Creed had all those stupid flags that did nothing for you except prevent a full 1000 achievement points (So they were basically worthless on the PS3.)

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By delta_ass
    @c1337us said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    " Guess what: Don't try to collect em and you won't have any problem. "
    Unless you are playing Prince of Persia. Because at some point you need light seeds to progress further. "

Sure, sure. But I mean, you don't need to collect every single light seed in the game to progress.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Deusoma

One of the things I appreciate about Batman: Arkham Asylum is that the hidden collectibles (Riddler Trophies and Riddle answers) show up on the world map once you find the Secrets Map for each area. So at the end of the game, you can just check the map and know exactly where each of the Trophies is hidden, it's just up to you to figure out how to get it.

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By _Nuno_

Why do they keep this stuff in games? 
    Beats me... I personally never collected any of that stuff unless its right in front of me. Another game that has those so-called hidden package is Assassins Creed. But they call then banners or flags...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

1) Eh, GTA was most certainly not the first game to have hidden items to collect. It's a pretty ancient concept, most prominent in pretty much any platformer out there for example.

2) Yay, bitching about optional content you don't have to do. You think it breaks the flow of the game? Then go with the flow, ignoring the extras. People like exploring, and like it even more if they're rewarded for it. Like you know, having a bunch of side quests in the middle of a world-saving main storyline in an RPG. That doesn't exactly make sense either. They're games. They don't make sense. They're just fun.

3) Old, but...

CL60 said:

"I think somebody forgot to use his other account. "

LOL. Busted.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Suicrat said:
    " Okay, any game that makes you collect 1000 of something that is unevenly distributed throughout the map is a bad game. But complaining about something that is totally optional seems to be a waste of time.  Because what it's doing is laying bare the fact that completionism is itself a waste of time. "
    Judging from these quotes:
    @Soap said:
    " to something that is usually required to complete if you want to truly finish a game to 1000 gamer points,"
    @Soap said:
    "Do I collect them all as I see them, and hope they are in an easy enough place that I can collect them all by the end of the game, without missing any? Or do I avoid them like all holy hell so that when I do finish the game I can use the only method I find to be truly effective and to systematically check every single location using some kind of map, checking off each location as I find it."
     @Soap said:
    "within the last 24 hours I have collected all 179 treasures on Tomb Raider Underworld all 350 Blast Shards in Infamous and all of the 1001 light seeds from the Prince of Persia."

He obviously is annoyed by their presence, but not collecting them is not an option for him. I dont know why. I always just ignore them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.