Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lollipop Chainsaw

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 12, 2012

This deliberately ridiculous third-person action game stars Juliet Starling, a zombie-slaying cheerleader who's almost as handy with a chainsaw as she is with a pair of pom-poms.

Reviews

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#201  Edited By donutfever
    @TentPole said:

@DonutFever said:

Just about everyone would be against this if Zed yelled race-based insults, right?

No, not everyone would. I would not be upset by it. It depends on what you find acceptable in your media in general. I am fine with some truly horrible characters as long as the work itself is not racist or misogynistic. Are you going to be upset with Quentin Tarantino's new film Django Unleashed because it has villains who say some really fucked up racist stuff? Some people are already pissed off at how racist the villains in the film are going to be and it is okay if you don't want to take part in that kind of entertainment but I am really excited for that film.

Given the setting of that movie, and the fact that that character is a slave, race kind of has to enter the equation. It would be weird for the villains not to be racist.   
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By TentPole

@DonutFever said:

@TentPole said:

@DonutFever said:

Just about everyone would be against this if Zed yelled race-based insults, right?

No, not everyone would. I would not be upset by it. It depends on what you find acceptable in your media in general. I am fine with some truly horrible characters as long as the work itself is not racist or misogynistic. Are you going to be upset with Quentin Tarantino's new film Django Unleashed because it has villains who say some really fucked up racist stuff? Some people are already pissed off at how racist the villains in the film are going to be and it is okay if you don't want to take part in that kind of entertainment but I am really excited for that film.

Given the setting of that movie, and the fact that that character is a slave, race kind of has to enter the equation. It would be weird for the villains not to be racist.

Sure, but that is just the example I used because there are currently people getting upset about. There are plenty of films not set in the slavery era south that have extremely racist characters. I don't have a problem with anyone having an issue with these portrayals and not wanting to watch films with that content. The problem I have is people telling me I should have issues with that content and that I should not watch it because it should not even exist in the first place.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By AlexW00d

@TentPole said:

@DonutFever said:

The Verge/Polygon gave it a 6.5.

The good news is that he has a lot of good things to say about the game before majorly dinging it for misogyny.

I think the sexism debate is getting out of hand now that it has began effecting review scores. But, then again I don't actually think this game is misogynistic and I am one of the people who thinks the argument is mostly overblown horseshit, so of course I am going to think that.

Someone called it misogynistic? I swear to fuck, people do not know the definition of that word.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#204  Edited By musubi

@rebgav said:

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

Yeah, Zed is a demonic punk zombie from hell - it would be a little weird if he was minding his language so as not to offend the person trying to kill him.

It's also worth noting that he is literally attacking you with words. That's his "thing."

I'm not asking him to be a polite angel. But just about everything he says is a gender-based insult. And the "he's a bad guy so he can say fucked up things" isn't really a great argument. Just about everyone would be against this if Zed yelled race-based insults, right?

He primarily says "Yeeeaaaaahhh!" which I'm pretty sure isn't a gender-based insult. He also says "stupid cooze" which is obviously a cutting statement about the place of women in society. I'd think that the "worst" thing he says is "cocksucker" which is hardly a term used to demean women specifically nor is it considered a gender specific trait in general (nor is it a particularly demeaning concept unless you're incredibly prudish.)

So yes, he's a bad guy who says bad things to establish his personality and to make you dislike him. If you're crazy enough to take that seriously and get those forehead veins popping that's very much your problem.

Don't forget "Vanilla Slut' =p

And speaking of Zed fucking jesus the song for his fight is the BEST track in the game hands down.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By donutfever
    @rebgav said:

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

Yeah, Zed is a demonic punk zombie from hell - it would be a little weird if he was minding his language so as not to offend the person trying to kill him.

It's also worth noting that he is literally attacking you with words. That's his "thing."

I'm not asking him to be a polite angel. But just about everything he says is a gender-based insult. And the "he's a bad guy so he can say fucked up things" isn't really a great argument. Just about everyone would be against this if Zed yelled race-based insults, right?

He primarily says "Yeeeaaaaahhh!" which I'm pretty sure isn't a gender-based insult. He also says "stupid cooze" which is obviously a cutting statement about the place of women in society. I'd think that the "worst" thing he says is "cocksucker" which is hardly a term used to demean women specifically nor is it considered a gender specific trait in general (nor is it a particularly demeaning concept unless you're incredibly prudish.)

When I played it, I heard "Yeah!" once in the opening cutscene, from then on he calls her a slut, whore, cooze, etc. about 5 times each. I'm sure they could have used other words.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By donutfever
    @Demoskinos said: 

And speaking of Zed fucking jesus the song for his fight is the BEST track in the game hands down.

No disagreements there.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By TentPole

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

When I played it, I heard "Yeah!" once in the opening cutscene, from then on he calls her a slut, whore, cooze, etc. about 5 times each. I'm sure they could have used other words.

Are you purposely choosing to ignoring every point that I have made? If you don't like it then don't play it. That is fine, but don't tell me that it should not exist. Do not tell me that I should not be able to play and enjoy it. Do not shit on the developers creative license.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By donutfever
    @rebgav said:

So yes, he's a bad guy who says bad things to establish his personality and to make you dislike him. If you're crazy enough to take that seriously and get those forehead veins popping that's very much your problem.

It's not getting forehead veins popping as much as it was uncomfortable at the time, and I can understand someone getting upset about it. If a character just started yelling racial epithets, for example, I would be equally upset.  

There are better ways to develop characters, there have been bosses who I've disliked more in games that didn't resort to this.
    Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Roger778

Sadly. it's not for me. I didn't like the Quick Look that Ryan and Patrick did.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By donutfever
    @TentPole said:

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

Are you purposely choosing to ignoring every point that I have made? If you don't like it then don't play it. That is fine, but don't tell me that it should not exist. Do not tell me that I should not be able to play and enjoy it. Do not shit on the developers creative license.

I never said that it shouldn't exist, or that you shouldn't be able to play it. In fact, despite this I love the game, it's my favourite this year.  

All I'm saying is that it was something I didn't like about it, and it put a damper on one an otherwise awesome section for me.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By TentPole

@DonutFever said:

I never said that it shouldn't exist, or that you shouldn't be able to play it. In fact, despite this I love the game, it's my favourite this year. All I'm saying is that it was something I didn't like about it, and it put a damper on one an otherwise awesome section for me.

That is fair. Sorry for the assumptions.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By donutfever
    @TentPole said:

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

It's not getting forehead veins popping as much as it was uncomfortable at the time, and I can understand someone getting upset about it. If a character just started yelling racial epithets, for example, I would be equally upset. There are better ways to develop characters, there have been bosses who I've disliked more in games that didn't resort to this.

I find your argument that there should not be racist villains because it makes you uncomfortable offensive.

I'm not saying there can't be racist villains. I said I'm excited for Django Unchained. All I'm saying is that just having a character appear, be sexist/racist/etc., then die isn't good writing. It's an easy way to pull a reaction out of the viewer. 

If Zed started graphically murdering puppies, it would be equally unnecessary, and somewhat uncomfortable.  

EDIT: But again, this is a criticism of this one section for me. It can still exist, and I don't think Grasshopper or James Gunn are sexists, or anything. But the whole scene just felt off for me.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By musubi

@DonutFever said:

@TentPole said:

@DonutFever said:

@rebgav said:

It's not getting forehead veins popping as much as it was uncomfortable at the time, and I can understand someone getting upset about it. If a character just started yelling racial epithets, for example, I would be equally upset. There are better ways to develop characters, there have been bosses who I've disliked more in games that didn't resort to this.

I find your argument that there should not be racist villains because it makes you uncomfortable offensive.

I'm not saying there can't be racist villains. I said I'm excited for Django Unchained. All I'm saying is that just having a character appear, be sexist/racist/etc., then die isn't good writing. It's an easy way to pull a reaction out of the viewer. If Zed started graphically murdering puppies, it would be equally unnecessary, and somewhat uncomfortable.

Matt Rorie would be pissed!

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By TentPole

@Demoskinos said:

@DonutFever said:

I'm not saying there can't be racist villains. I said I'm excited for Django Unchained. All I'm saying is that just having a character appear, be sexist/racist/etc., then die isn't good writing. It's an easy way to pull a reaction out of the viewer. If Zed started graphically murdering puppies, it would be equally unnecessary, and somewhat uncomfortable.

Matt Rorie would be pissed!

I think it could be kinda funny and now I am a little bummed that he doesn't.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By donutfever
    @rebgav said:

@DonutFever said:

All I'm saying is that just having a character appear, be sexist/racist/etc., then die isn't good writing. It's an easy way to pull a reaction out of the viewer.

Sure, it's cheap, but that boss fight is all of the time they have to tell you everything about that character. He shows up, he's an asshole, he dies. Compare him to Josie who gets an entire level to establish his personality, or the hippy chick who gets no time and no personality beyond "hippy chick." I can't even remember her name.

And maybe I just sound crazy because I'm not that far in the game. If this is something exclusive to Zed, I guess it's not that big a deal.  

I haven't even made it to Vikke yet, so I should probably just stop talking.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By TentPole
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By musubi
    mars188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#218  Edited By mars188

@TentPole: On the Last boss Must see boss he is awsome!!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By sethysquare

This game looks sick. But does anyone think its a little bit too expensive?

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#220  Edited By Jost1

I'm at the final boss and this game...is just incredibly fun. My GOTY pick so far.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By PhantomGardener

@Jost1 said:

I'm at the final boss and this game...is just incredibly fun. My GOTY pick so far.

How many hours did you use to get to the final boss?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By musubi

I am extremely close to S-Ranking this game. Just have to mop up a few achievements here and there and I'll be good to go. =D

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#223  Edited By Hizang

Just beat it, everything outside of playing the game is fun, I'd wager watching somebody playing this game is better than actually playing it yourself. I mean I love the art style, soundtrack and overall presentation of the game, but the gameplay itself was boring. I mean I played on the normal difficulty and found myself just hitting the Triangle button for the whole game, I mean I had a bunch of combos, but the Triangle Button attack was just stronger. The humour in that game is hit and miss, Nick did a great job at making me laugh, because he is often the normal person in an insane situation, everybody else was just cringe worthy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.