Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lollipop Chainsaw

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 12, 2012

This deliberately ridiculous third-person action game stars Juliet Starling, a zombie-slaying cheerleader who's almost as handy with a chainsaw as she is with a pair of pom-poms.

Will I like this game...

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Morrow

... if I didn't like No more Heroes and Shadows of the Damned? Suda51 seems to have a solid fanbase but the gameplay of those titles didn't really appeal to me...

I'm wondering, are there any RPG elements in Lollipop Chainsaw? How's the combat?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@Morrow: Thats a toss up really I'd say most likely not if your not a fan of either of those games. While I'd say this is suda's most accessible game to date you also still have to have some affinity for the stuff he makes.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

you can upgrade Juliet's health and strength but i think that's the extent of the RPG elements. i don't know any more than that though. i'm only on the second stage.

the combat is okay. there's some satisfaction to it but i feel like the enemies, for zombies, take too many hits to kill. it sometimes feel like you're not very powerful at all, but that's how i feel. as for if you'd like it or not based on other Suda games, i couldn't tell you. even though it's coined as a spiritual successor to No More Heroes, i don't see much of a resemblance.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

No... It's very similar to No More Heroes, but slightly more linear as there isn't an open world. However the story and combat are more fluid, funny, over the top and interesting. The combat is very in depth. There are a surprising amount of combo's and on higher difficulties you need to master dodge and so on.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Wemibelle

Having never played No More Heroes, but having seen gameplay of it, it looks very similar. It's a not great brawler-y game but it is entertaining with the crazy and the humor. The combat is certainly not its strong suit.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By donchipotle

@AjayRaz said:

you can upgrade Juliet's health and strength but i think that's the extent of the RPG elements. i don't know any more than that though. i'm only on the second stage.

the combat is okay. there's some satisfaction to it but i feel like the enemies, for zombies, take too many hits to kill. it sometimes feel like you're not very powerful at all, but that's how i feel. as for if you'd like it or not based on other Suda games, i couldn't tell you. even though it's coined as a spiritual successor to No More Heroes, i don't see much of a resemblance.

I feel way more powerful when I buy upgrades/moves. Especially once you go back to like chapter 1 with upgrades. Things die way faster.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By DonutFever

Gameplay is actually really fun. If you though those games were funny try it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

I really found the gameplay of No More Heroes boring, but I liked the style of the game, I also really liked Shadows of the Damned.

I hope I like this game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TentPole

It plays much better than No More Heroes but I would still say no.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marcsman

A pass for me.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

It almost sounds like it really comes down to how much you enjoy Suda 51's style of humour and what not. I haven't played either of those games so I don't really know.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Morrow

@Demoskinos: @DonutFever: @TentPole:

Well the issues I had were related to the gameplay mostly. I like fast and fluent combat, like in Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, or RPG-like combat, where you can at least level up if a boss is too hard. I didn't like No more Heroes because the boss battles were rather long and you needed a certain pattern to defeat them instead of just finding your own, individual path. Shadows of the Damned has a very cool theme that I enjoyed, but again, I didn't like the mixture of combat and the riddle-solving. The approaching darkness was way annoying to me...

I'd really like to give LC a chance but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed again...

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By Danteveli

The combat is better than in No More Heroes but still not as good as DMC3 or Bayonetta. I like it but I'm not sure if its just because weird style oh and this time no riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NawKWJJ2Tzs

here is some gameplay from second stage to see how it is in action

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bestostero

Watch streams, or maybe rent or borrow it first.

I was very hesitant of this game as well, but i thoroughly enjoy it, much more than i thought i would.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TentPole

@Morrow: It is hard for me to say because I am of the opinion that only crazy people dislike NMH bosses an Shadows of the Damned.

But in an attempt to be helpful I can say that it is very much not in the lines of a Devil May Cry/Bayonetta. It has plenty of depth but it is much slower pace and is more about positioning than reflex. The bosses are still long with drawn out patterns. I love it but don't expect anything different in that regard.

The more I hear the more I think you should procede with caution.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Morrow

@TentPole:

Yeah, I think so too. I might just skip that one, or get it once I have nothing else to play... which will probably never happen... ^^;

gtg12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gtg12

I don't think I will like it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#18  Edited By Yummylee

What the fuck??? I seem to recall you saying that you liked the shooting in Yakuza Dead Souls of all things, so I'm highly surprised to see you didn't like Shadows of The Damned's gameplay. But more on topic I still personally haven't played Lollipop Chainsaw yet, but from the reviews and opinions on this very forum that I've read, gameplay is actually meant to be much more fluid and surprisingly in-depth when compared to NMH's combat.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TentPole

@Morrow: I think it is a pretty great game so I would still urge you to give it a chance to see if this is the suda game that will click with you. But only if you can pick up a copy real cheap down the road. Everyone else reading this should get it now.

@Yummylee: Dead Souls has great shooting if you aren't stubborn about trying to play it like other shooters.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Commisar123

Frankly I don't think the game is very good, so no

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By Danteveli

Oh if you dont like swearing this game is not for you. It makes Bulletstorm blush.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cornbredx

No. Straight up. You wont like this game. It is fairly similar to no more heroes in mechanics. The story is pretty crazy, but the game isn't really about the story so much as game play- and suda's gameplay mechanics are often behind the times. To me they feel really disjointed and stiff. It doesn't put me off, but I suspect it will some people.

I will say though, the bosses are fantastic. They are the best part of the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#23  Edited By Yummylee

@TentPole said:

@Yummylee: Dead Souls has great shooting if you aren't stubborn about trying to play it like other shooters.

lol k

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@LiquidPrince said:

No... It's very similar to No More Heroes, but slightly more linear as there isn't an open world. However the story and combat are more fluid, funny, over the top and interesting. The combat is very in depth. There are a surprising amount of combo's and on higher difficulties you need to master dodge and so on.

This is essentially the game in the nutshell. If that sounds good to you, get it. Personally, I don't think there's enough content to warrant a 60 dollar price, but the ranking modes are clearly there for folks who are into that kind of thing. If you're into that kind of thing then I can see buying it at full price...

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Morrow

@CornBREDX:

Is the combat about button-smashing mostly or do you need some elaborate tactics?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cornbredx

@Morrow: seems button mashy to me. I mean there are combinations and what not but I have not found the controls responsive enough to really have any kind of tactics. Your mileage may vary though, i don't know.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Undeadpool

@Morrow: You will hate it. It's literally No More Heroes meets Shadows of the Damned. (I say that as someone who LOVES this game, but also LOVED those ones).

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Morrow said:

@CornBREDX:

Is the combat about button-smashing mostly or do you need some elaborate tactics?

I found it to be not as fluid as something like Bayonetta or DMC3. I'm sure it gets better when you unlock all of the combos, but early on it felt really bland, there's nothing super flashy that feels as awesome to do as it is to look at. It's a lot of hitting buttons, being stuck on that button unless you have a combo that lets you switch to a different button and pressing b to dodge. I don't think it's worth the full price, maybe pick it up down the line when it's much cheaper or rent it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#29  Edited By StarvingGamer

Probably not.

I love it though.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@Morrow: Finished it today. I would say it's more or less button mashy, although you have the option to work with some "elaborate" combos... after you have purchased them. The first playthrough was done on the "Normal" difficulty setting and I had no problems button mashing myself through the game, which resulted in not so spectacular stage rankings (mostly Bs). I guess for better rankings you have to use the combos (stunning and slashing) more consciously which is not always easy when you get swarmed by enemies and due to some camera issues in narrow corridors and some animation priorities.

But that said I really enjoyed this game, especially thanks to the awesome soundtrack (I mean which games mixes music like "Pac-Man Fever" by Buckner and Garcia, "You spin me round" by Dead or Alive or "Speed" by Atari Teenage Riot?!?) and my blatant fanboyism for Grasshopper Manufacture...

Would I recommend it? Probably only to people who enjoyed their previous works, if you never enjoyed them anyway this game won't change your opinion.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By goatmilk

I'd recommend this to people who liked Dead Rising but thought that was a little too involved. A lot of it is mindless button mash while zombies lumber towards you. There's less "you have to get here before the timer runs out" type of stuff (at least where I am in the game anyway) so you can just mess around and have fun if you want.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By OneManX

If you liked No More Heroes, but want a tighter experience, then you should probably play Lollipop Chainsaw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.