Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Odyssey

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 12, 2008

Lost Odyssey tells the epic journey of Kaim, a 1000 year old immortal with no memory of his past. He soon discovers there are other immortals as a conspiracy begins to unravel.

Lost Odyssey Update

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Nasar7
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to the thread I made a month back. I was originally going to post this right in the thread but as it got ever longer I realized it would be more appropriate as a blog post. Moving on.
    OK, so I finally decided to get back into LO and give it another go. I just played through the story segment at the very end of Disk 2, and man, let me tell you, that was the some of the most tedious gameplay in an RPG that I can think of. For those of you who can remember, the end of Disk 2 is at the experimental staff. My first problem with it was unnecessarily big. The level design seemed large just for the sake of being large, and the layout didn't really make sense from an in-universe standpoint; it was very gamey. 
    The random encounters are another thing. This is probably true for all of the game but I'm just noticing it here, but the rate of encounters seems really random. Sometimes I would get into another battle literally 10 steps after finishing another, at other times I could walk freely for a good few minutes without any fights. Which, naturally, happens only when you actually need to get into a fight in order to get a Gate Pass. Having to get these passes was a huge pain in the ass because you had to steal them from the enemy, which takes forever, and they were one-time use only. A big annoyance I have with this game is that the battles take FOREVER. There are just far too many people in a fight, both on your side and the number of enemies. A five person party is huge. And when you're facing about 5-6 enemies on average each battle, who take two of your characters two rounds to kill each, it just never ends. 

The crate/platform/lever puzzle, was simple yet mindnumbingly tedious. The boss fight was pointless and lacked any sense of danger. It was fairly obvious to me that you were supposed to lose the fight. Most damningly, it did nothing for the story. I didn't learn anything new about Gongora, Kaim, Seth, or anyone else. The plot in this game hasn't really gone anywhere since the end of Disk 1. It's ridiculous. 

Then, after the fight which you're supposed to lose, everyone just stands back up because Lirum somehow heals the kids (BS), they heal Jansen, and everyone else is immortal anyway (boring). There is a countdown timer to get out of the staff but they might as well not. There is ZERO sense of urgency, danger, excitement, adrenaline, nothing. Two examples of games that did this concept MUCH better immediately come to mind. Remember in FF VII when you have to escape Midgar on the bike and you have to protect everyone in the car from being attacked? Remember in FF VIII when you have to escape Dollet and the giant mechanical spider is chasing you and you (Leon/Squall) almost get left behind, barely jumping on in time? Those were some of the most memorable moments in the game, and I don't even have to get into the awesome scenes that those two games had right before the switch between each consecutive disk. In LO, there is a time but timer which gives you 12 minutes, way too much time to feel any sort of Metroid-esque time crunch, the boat is waiting for you, you get on and leave, and thats that. Oh and the music doesn't help.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to get my feelings about my latest experience with LO out. I'm trying really hard to enjoy this game, but its just not letting me.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Nasar7
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to the thread I made a month back. I was originally going to post this right in the thread but as it got ever longer I realized it would be more appropriate as a blog post. Moving on.
    OK, so I finally decided to get back into LO and give it another go. I just played through the story segment at the very end of Disk 2, and man, let me tell you, that was the some of the most tedious gameplay in an RPG that I can think of. For those of you who can remember, the end of Disk 2 is at the experimental staff. My first problem with it was unnecessarily big. The level design seemed large just for the sake of being large, and the layout didn't really make sense from an in-universe standpoint; it was very gamey. 
    The random encounters are another thing. This is probably true for all of the game but I'm just noticing it here, but the rate of encounters seems really random. Sometimes I would get into another battle literally 10 steps after finishing another, at other times I could walk freely for a good few minutes without any fights. Which, naturally, happens only when you actually need to get into a fight in order to get a Gate Pass. Having to get these passes was a huge pain in the ass because you had to steal them from the enemy, which takes forever, and they were one-time use only. A big annoyance I have with this game is that the battles take FOREVER. There are just far too many people in a fight, both on your side and the number of enemies. A five person party is huge. And when you're facing about 5-6 enemies on average each battle, who take two of your characters two rounds to kill each, it just never ends. 

The crate/platform/lever puzzle, was simple yet mindnumbingly tedious. The boss fight was pointless and lacked any sense of danger. It was fairly obvious to me that you were supposed to lose the fight. Most damningly, it did nothing for the story. I didn't learn anything new about Gongora, Kaim, Seth, or anyone else. The plot in this game hasn't really gone anywhere since the end of Disk 1. It's ridiculous. 

Then, after the fight which you're supposed to lose, everyone just stands back up because Lirum somehow heals the kids (BS), they heal Jansen, and everyone else is immortal anyway (boring). There is a countdown timer to get out of the staff but they might as well not. There is ZERO sense of urgency, danger, excitement, adrenaline, nothing. Two examples of games that did this concept MUCH better immediately come to mind. Remember in FF VII when you have to escape Midgar on the bike and you have to protect everyone in the car from being attacked? Remember in FF VIII when you have to escape Dollet and the giant mechanical spider is chasing you and you (Leon/Squall) almost get left behind, barely jumping on in time? Those were some of the most memorable moments in the game, and I don't even have to get into the awesome scenes that those two games had right before the switch between each consecutive disk. In LO, there is a time but timer which gives you 12 minutes, way too much time to feel any sort of Metroid-esque time crunch, the boat is waiting for you, you get on and leave, and thats that. Oh and the music doesn't help.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to get my feelings about my latest experience with LO out. I'm trying really hard to enjoy this game, but its just not letting me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I definitely agree with you on the level design for most of the tunnels in Lost odyssey. They're so boring, tedious, and mind-numbing that I just stopped playing the game. I expected better from the creators from FFX, one of the greatest games I've ever played.

It has a great story, but holy christ, must the game be this lazily designed? Good luck, though. The Experimental Staff is just the beginning of repetitive torture.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By cinemandrew

Haven't read the entire post yet, but I thought I'd comment on the random encounters. When I was playing this game I noticed that I seemed to run into more battles when I was sprinting than when not. But yeah, even so, it seemed a little inconsistent sometimes.

Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Galv

I played through all of LO. Overall it's good but has several problems and the encounter rate is definitely one thing that annoyed me greatly.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nasar7
    @Tru3_Blu3:
    " Good luck, though. The Experimental Staff is just the beginning of repetitive torture. "
    Hah great, just what I needed. Thanks for the heads up.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lucas_kelly

Its no different to any Final Fantasy game.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nasar7
    @lucas_kelly: What isn't?
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pweidman

Wow two seperate complaining threads about LO.  One wasn't enough?  What's the agenda here?  I thought LO was fantastic in almost every way, as most others did.  It's easily the best jrpg on 360 imo at least.  If you don't like the game, stop playing it and move on.  It obviously doesn't suit yur taste.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nasar7
    @pweidman: In my thread, I was asking other's opinions of the game. This is a blog post in which I vented my frustrations with the game, and I can write whatever I want in a blog post. You don't have to read it and you certainly don't have to reply.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne

The golden age of the JRPG is over. The comparison to some of the sequences in VIII show very clearly where LO is lacking, but the fact that it is still as close to the PSX FFs than everything came after IX, for me, is more than enough to keep me entertained. On top of that, there are moments of outstanding audiovisual storytelling in the thousand years of dreams. (the ingame storytelling is embarrassing and insulting, but the combat system lets me accept that).

I am now in the awesome stage of being able to move on to the last chapter and beat the game, but choosing to roam the world and see everything there is to see while becoming ridiculously overpowered. Great stuff.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60

I'm stuck in LO..at the part where you gotta use Jansen, Ming, and the two kids for the second time, where you find the train and gotta go into the cave...all of them suck except one of the kids for heals (I don't remember there names) and I just constantly get destroyed.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nasar7
    @Meowayne: The point in an RPG where the entire world is open to you and you can either beat the final boss or do every single sidequest the game has to offer is one of my favorite JRPG concepts. And thanks to Sakaguchi, that very FFish tradition is alive and well. 

Since I haven't gotten to that part in the game yet, could you tell me if there's more plot/character development on the final two discs? I think the lack of plot on disc 2 is one of the reasons I'm burned with LO a bit at the moment. Also, could you rank the disks best to worst?
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nasar7
    @CL60: I'm not sure which part of the game you're talking about. If its on disc 1-2 I'd help you if I could but I'm only at the beginning of disc 3.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60
    @Nasar7 said:
    " @CL60: I'm not sure which part of the game you're talking about. If its on disc 1-2 I'd help you if I could but I'm only at the beginning of disc 3. "
    It's disk 3 I think. It's not really that I need that much help, it's just that I rarely ever used the characters that it forces you to use and I constantly get raped in one hit by everything.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nasar7
    @CL60: 
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @CL60: I'm not sure which part of the game you're talking about. If its on disc 1-2 I'd help you if I could but I'm only at the beginning of disc 3. "
    It's disk 3 I think. It's not really that I need that much help, it's just that I rarely ever used the characters that it forces you to use and I constantly get raped in one hit by everything. "
    Ah I see. Luckily for me my main party is Kaim, Seth, Jansen, boy (Cooke?), and Ming. Never ever use girl (Ashe?). Sounds like it'll be a pain for me too.
    Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Sick_J0ke

The thing that annoys me the most is that to beat the final two bosses you need to be at least level 60. By the time you get to the point where you can do sidequests or fight gongora you're only around the 40's... Which obviously means you have to do sidequests to level up right? Except the problem is the side quest bosses require you to be level 65+ to beat. So you can't beat gongora because you're levels too low, and you can't level up to beat him because the sidequests are out of your league. 

That leaves you the only option of going to a place with really hard enemies, and doing random encounters beside the save points so you can level up quickly but save after every battle incase you die which is very common with the side quest enemies. It's very very repetetive. My goal is that when you get to the side quests,  just focus on leveling each of your characters by 5 levels a day until you hit around 70. Then go do the sidequests which should be cake at this level and you're level will be really high by the end and it should be really easy to beat the game. 
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @CL60: Thats probably the hardest boss in the game (apart from the backyard battle bosses). The best way to beat him is to equip a magical ring on Mack, and have Ming and Jansen cast powera on Mack so he does more damage. Don't bother trying to use magic, the reflect never seems to go away. Use Cooke as a healer. Also train a lot, get up to the highest level possible.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18  Edited By Symphony

Hehe stumbled on this blog post and just had to say that I felt pretty much the exact same way about LO. I managed to make it to the end of the third disc before giving up the first time I played through it (if you think the end of CD2 is tedius, just you wait...). Put it down for a good 6 months or so then played through the whole thing.

It wasn't a bad game, but it certainly has major moments of tedium and the totally random random encounters is just annoying -- when I WANT to try and grind exp it never wanted to let me -- I'd go from one end of a large zone to the other three times over before getting a fight, and when I wanted to get through areas, ever 3 steps was a battle. It was ridiculous.

The ending wasn't too bad though, so I didn't throw my hands up in the air and go "Well that was a complete waste of time" like I have with some other rpgs (or Ocarina of Time... which I loved but that ending is probably the worst ending ever in my books, "A winnar is u" would have been better >.>).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.