Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Planet 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 11, 2010

In the follow-up to Lost Planet, players explore new environments as they see the story through the perspective of different groups of pirates trying to survive on E.D.N. III.

Content cut from Lost Planet 2 due to 360 disc restrictions.

• 53 results
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael
    Link.

The PS3's Blu-ray format offers developers plenty of space to fill. But the Xbox 360 doesn't use Blu-ray, it uses DVD. That makes things tricky if a studio is planning to release a multi-platform title like Lost Planet 2. 

In a recent interview, Lost Planet 2 producer Jun Takeuchi said Capcom had to cut a significant amount from the game. When asked how development was going, he replied, "There wasn't especially any big trouble. More than those kind of difficulties, the edited content was way too much and dealing with that was more difficult than anything." 

"This time, truly, the content that was cut was significant," Takeuchi added, "and at the end, we had to wrestle with disc space." 

Takeuchi went on to expand on how difficult it was to make those cuts, saying that it was a situation in which the team was on the verge of crying as they shaved down their game to fit on the disk — though Takeuchi is most likely being facetious. The upside to these cuts? "I think we could be able to add that content at a later date as downloadable content." Everybody wins!

The original Lost Planet was first released as an Xbox 360 exclusive and eventually ported to the PC and the PS3. 

This is bullshit. They could easily include that content on a second disc, Mass Effect 2 style(or even better, Forza 3 style). Sure, it would cost them some money, but it's not like a (presumably) minor expense like that would keep them from making a substantial profit. All we can hope for is that the content is released as free DLC, but knowing Capcom, they're probably gonna split it into five parts and sell them for ten bucks each.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yep, 2nd disc and install would be good. Just sounds like an excuse to me.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

YAY! Go xbox!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah a second disc with an install would have cleared that up. Part of me is thinking that they realized they had pre-made DLC possibilities, and they took that route. There is no reason now with so many big games doing it that they couldn't go multi disc.

DVDs are cheaper to use than Blu-Rays too, so it's not like the costs would be significantly higher to put 2 discs into the case. 

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

I knew that bullshit like this would start happening because of the limited nature of the DVD's that 360's use, why couldn't they just make it multiple discs? Alot of games do it, why not this one

Aren't they making a PS3 version? I suppose that's gonna suffer from this too, its good that I don't give a sht about Lost Planet 2

Capcom are cheap bastards

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By L33tfella_H

If it was that Significant, wouldn't they have attempted to push it on 2 discs (or maybe a voucher to download the extra stuff in the boxed copy or something)?

Probably wasn't that significant and they probably thought that instead of figuring something out and wasting time and money on it, offer it as DLC at a later date.

Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Sinatra

They should just either give us two discs or put the content on the market place and sell it as DLC.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @L33tfella_H: It was probably just a bunch of bad voice acting and pretentious Japanese cinematics. Although I do love me some Lost Planet :P 

I also think that if Namco Bandai can fit a game as lengthy as Tales of Vesperia onto one disc and make it play so smoothly, alongside with all the voice acting and massive world, then there is no reason why Capcom can't make a 10-15 hour action game fit.
    Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Torrim

If there is one retarded "I'LL GET YOOOOU" cutscene in there I am going to scream in anger.  Waste your space on anime bullshit but not on gameplay, fantastic idea.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icemael
    @L33tfella_H said:

"If it was that Significant, wouldn't they have attempted to push it on 2 discs (or maybe a voucher to download the extra stuff in the boxed copy or something)? Probably wasn't that significant and they probably thought that instead of figuring something out and wasting time and money on it, offer it as DLC at a later date."

If the game's producer says 'truly, the content that was cut was significant', I think it's safe to say that it's significant. 

The reason they didn't attempt to push it onto two discs or give buyers free DLC vouchers is pretty simple: both those options would cost them money. Releasing it as paid DLC, however, means they make money.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail

That's the 360 for you.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

Lmao...god damn you Jun Takeuchi, such an annoying ass.
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Alex_Murphy

They just wanted to sell you the DLC later. Unless the game is one big sandbox gameworld there's no reason they couldn't put it on 2 discs.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Makes you wonder what would've happened if we would have had DLC back in the CD-ROM days.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I'll wait till we get an official source, not a blog via kotaku.
    Then again this was posted on system wars via sunkau complex a hentai site... lol

so yeah ill be waiting till we get an official interview not a blog.

but what i see from the interview is they had to cut content because they based content size and scope upon bluray size...hmm weird? so if they had based content size and scope around dvd they wouldn't have a problem?
    hmmmm
    As i said ill wait till an official interview happens by americans not a unofficial japanese blog.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Evilsbane

Lol, such bullshit...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

Ambitions hampered by DVD format?
    Or using the console wars to prey on naivety?
    Hmm...

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By pbhawks45

What an awful cop out. If games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, GTA IV, and Dragon Age can fit on one disc, surely Lost Planet can. GTA had so much damn audio in there, and the graphics were good at the time. 

That statement sounds like they are either making excuses to charge for DLC, or making excuses because they are bad developers, and don't know how to compress graphics and audio.

This game has gone from a must buy a year ago to "I don't really care" for me.

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Lestater

Let us download and burn our own DVD's, lol.

roylink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By roylink

You mean the "scrapped" levels will be DLC.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @pbhawks45 said:
     This game has gone from a must buy a year ago to "I don't really care" for me. "
    I'm still interested in it, but I will be keeping a close eye on it's play time now.
    Maybe it'll end up going from "buy" to "rent".
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Luke

I think Microsoft has a "rule" for 3rd parties, "If the game is also on competing platforms (not the PC), then said game can only be on the same amount of discs as the competing platform".    

I believe there are exceptions to this, like when Microsoft begs a publisher like Square Enix to put FFXIII on the 360.  

But this is just what I've read of other people saying this on other sites.  I don't know if it's actually true or not.  

Anyway, I really wish Microsoft would give us a firmware update where we could install all of our discs and just play with Disc 1 in the whole time.  Then, I could care less that I have to install 5 Discs right at the beginning :p 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Since you already mentioned it, with Dragon Age Bioware managed to squeeze a whopping 14GB (if installed on PC) on one DVD. I believe they used a licensed modified RAR compression algorithm, key word being "licensed". I suppose most devs just use what they have available.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By pbhawks45
    @ProfessorEss: 

I forgot to clarify that besides the disc size/ DLC whoring, the other reason I'm turned off is the inclusion of Marcus Fenix, Wesker, and others. It totally ruins any semblance of story there was for the first game. It makes the game less of a sequel and more of a cash-in.

It would be like Sony teaming up with 2K so you could play as Nathan Drake in Bioshock 2.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @pbhawks45 said:
    " @ProfessorEss:    I forgot to clarify that besides the disc size/ DLC whoring, the other reason I'm turned off is the inclusion of Marcus Fenix, Wesker, and others. It totally ruins any semblance of story there was for the first game. It makes the game less of a sequel and more of a cash-in.  It would be like Sony teaming up with 2K so you could play as Nathan Drake in Bioshock 2. "
    I assumed that was gonna be strictly a multiplayer thing - kinda like Cole and those others in Uncharted 2's multiplayer?
    I will admit this assumption is based off of very little research.
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZmillA

as long as sony fanboys lose, its all good.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By Cerza

That's bullshit. DVD's are cheaper than Blu-Ray's. Two DVD's don't cost as much as one Blu-Ray Disc. There is no reason they couldn't have included that content on a second disc. The way this article sounds it's like they are telling us they cut this content deliberately so they can sell it to us as DLC later.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch13696

That's just they way it is now n days. Gotta cut some stuff and sell it as DLC. He says everyone wins but in the end the consumer loses.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By KingBroly

There can't be an install disc because there is no hard drive on the 360.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Andorski

Damn.  If only some other game figured out how to deal with the DVD limitations.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZmillA said:
    " as long as sony fanboys lose, its all good. "
    O.o 

Oh, you have a green name. Makes sense now. 

@KingBroly
    said:
    " There can't be an install disc because there is no hard drive on the 360. "
    Well isn't that little thing you put on top of your 360 a hard drive? It's a removable hard drive, but it's still a hard drive.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By spazmaster666
    @pbhawks45 said:
    " What an awful cop out. If games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, GTA IV, and Dragon Age can fit on one disc, surely Lost Planet can. GTA had so much damn audio in there, and the graphics were good at the time.   That statement sounds like they are either making excuses to charge for DLC, or making excuses because they are bad developers, and don't know how to compress graphics and audio.  This game has gone from a must buy a year ago to "I don't really care" for me. "
    I'm guessing it has to do with cinematics. Asset compression these days is only improving so it's probably not because of textures or geometry. Cinematics however, still require a lot of space even with compression.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Icemael
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    "As i said ill wait till an official interview happens by americans not a unofficial japanese blog."
    Because when video game producers aren't being interviewed by American(you just can't trust them japs, amirite?) publications, they totally lie about stuff like this, right? /sarcasm
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60

I call bullshit. i think they mean to say.

"We need an excuse to make DLC"

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Andorski
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    @KingBroly said:
    " There can't be an install disc because there is no hard drive on the 360. "
    Well isn't that little thing you put on top of your 360 a hard drive? It's a removable hard drive, but it's still a hard drive. "
    Microsoft rarely (if ever; I can't think of an instance) let developers assume that players are able to install parts of the main game since  the Xbox 360 isn't guaranteed to have a hard drive.

This doesn't excuse Capcom though.  If the content they are cutting is peripheral enough to become DLC, then having it be on a separate disc for an optional install (a la Forza 3) would be just as possible.

Best hope: They take the EA route and give the DLC free to people who buy the game new.  If they charge everyone for the DLC, then this is complete bullshit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spazmaster666 said:

Cinematics however, still require a lot of space even with compression. "

I don't think videos are that big a problem anymore. The BIK (or BINK) format which is used in UT3-games (including Mass Effect 2) seems very filesize-efficient. Of course something like h264 in an AVI or MKV container would be perfect, but decoding those formats could be problematic, given the somewhat limited CPU-power of the current consoles (no offence).
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Lol, use a second disc, someone fax them a memo.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " Of course something like h264 in a AVI or MKV container would be perfect, but decoding those formats could be problematic, given the somewhat limited CPU-power of the current consoles (no offence). "
    I'm an Xbox 360 and i'm Offended >:( .
    LRP21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LRP21

If a second disk was an actual option they wouldn't admit to giving it out as DLC, simply they would've kept it hush hush and then released DLC. This must've obviously been a problem if they are coming out and saying something like that, just my opinion.

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pinkshley1

And thats why I got a gaming PC.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @LRP21 said:
    " If a second disk was an actual option they wouldn't admit to giving it out as DLC, simply they would've kept it hush hush and then released DLC. This must've obviously been a problem if they are coming out and saying something like that, just my opinion. "
    or they expect us to be less outraged that they announce it beforehand.

the ol' 'i'll tell you upfront that i'm gonna rob you rather than suprise you' (even if DLC isn't mandatory, so that analogy's a bit false, but i really wanted to use it for some reason)
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By spazmaster666
    @atomic_dumpling said:

I don't think videos are that big a problem anymore. The BIK (or BINK) format which is used in UT3-games (including Mass Effect 2) seems very filesize-efficient. Of course something like h264 in an AVI or MKV container would be perfect, but decoding those formats could be problematic, given the somewhat limited CPU-power of the current consoles (no offence). "

Well they wouldn't use MKV because it's open source, they would probably use commercial formats like WMV or MP4. They wouldn't use AVI either due to it's very limited h264 compatibility (h264 AVI is generally a bad idea).

Anyway, if it's not the cinematics that's taking up a significant amount of space, then what could it be? I doubt Lost Planet has as much dialogue or exploration as something like Mass Effect as it's more or less an action adventure/third person shooter. Similar games in its genre have only required one disc (Gears of War 2 comes to mind, as does Lost Planet 1).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably just lots of RAW data they couldn't be bothered to compress decently. I think this whole thing smells fishy, explanation and all.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By TheHBK

Excuses.  This is there DLC justification.  Seriously, how many games have we seen that are bigger than this game would ever be?  Explain to me how we have oblivion, GTA IV, the first Mass Effect, Dragon Age.  Japanese devs and their fucking excuses.  LOve to say that the PS3 is the shit.  Yeah, well I would like to see where the extra disc space was used other than fucking cut scenes.  And crappy ones at that as I remember in the first game.  The demo didn't exactly lend itself to make the graphics or gameplay need a huge amount of space.
    And since this game is much more linear than Mass Effect, I dont see how a multidisc solution didn't come to mind immediately.  Seriously?  Seriously?

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By DarkShaper
    @Andorski said:
    " Damn.  If only some other game figured out how to deal with the DVD limitations. "
    I know right? 
    AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AgentofChaos

Dicks. What an excuse to charge for DLC.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Andorski
    @DarkShaper said:
    " @Andorski said:
    " Damn.  If only some other game figured out how to deal with the DVD limitations. "
    I know right?  "
    The content on both Disc 1 and 2 were parts of the main game (i.e. you couldn't take either one out and still have a complete experience) for Mass Effect 2, so disc swapping was mandatory.  Capcom has already revealed that the content they cut out is peripheral to Lost Planet 2's main experience by stating that it will come out later as DLC, so putting it on a second disc as an optional install could have been a possibility.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be hilarious if it turned out that half the PS3-disk is just padded with zeros or dead data.

LRP21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LRP21
    @Andorski: Dude, Forza didn't do much to help, what happens if youre one of the Xbox 360 owners without an HDD. That's where MS failed, they should've never sold a system with no harddrive. Even a 20GB HDD would've worked and minimal cost to the company itself. If you have no HDD you can't even play the second disc of Forza...
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Andorski
    @LRP21 said:

" @Andorski: Dude, Forza didn't do much to help, what happens if youre one of the Xbox 360 owners without an HDD. That's where MS failed, they should've never sold a system with no harddrive. Even a 20GB HDD would've worked and minimal cost to the company itself. If you have no HDD you can't even play the second disc of Forza... "

Having a HDD or a Blu-Ray drive on every 360 definitely would been the best solution to this problem.  Microsoft was short-sighted on this issue, and now problems like disc capacity.  Still, a few developers have figured out how to get around this, so consumers should expect all developers to do the same thing.  Mass Effect 2 has disc swapping even though it is a single non-linear story.  Lost Planet 2 has it's story broken up between each pirate faction and a multiplayer game.  You just have to ask yourself, "how can this not be broken up into separate discs."

As for Forza 3, you can play Disc 2 without a HDD as long as you have a memory card.  All car packs except for the Road Racing Track Pack can fit on a Memory Unit.

In short... it's Microsoft's fault for having to do disc swaps and running out of memory in their overpriced storage units.  It's developers' fault for not giving you the option to do disc swaps or install their games on Microsoft's overpriced storage units.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.