Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost

Franchise »

Video game-based TV series about a group of plane crash survivors trapped on a mysterious island.

The Lost Discussion Thread - Raised by Another

• 103 results
    notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By notdavid

There's almost definitely something going on with these two shots.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Specifically with Locke's socked foot. Anyone who played 999 is familiar with Locke's Socks, a thought experiment regarding how much you can patch a sock until it is no longer, in essence, the original sock.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty interesting. I thought Locke was some boring Rambo hippie. Turns out he's a loser-turned-Rambo hippie, which is more interesting. Though we don't know what his life was like before he became handicapped. Also, lol. His legs weren't atrophied at all? He wouldn't be able to stand at all, seeing as I think he said it had been something like 6 years since his "condition." Or was it months? Could be wrong, but I think it was years.

@notdavid That's the "Ship of Theseus" paradox. It's like philosophy 101, and is sure to spark the most disgusting conversation you can ever imagine from the wrong people. The answer is as simple as the math: it's the in-between to varying degrees until you completely patch the sock. At what point is it no longer the original sock? The moment you apply the first patch. Then you just keep bringing it further from the original until you reach a fully-patched sock. It's very simple.

BeardDuder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Did anyone else notice the guy carrying wood around 13:40 of this episode? Reminds me of Ethan.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The moment Locke wiggled his toes I knew in what direction the episode was heading.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By wrecks

I was such a huge fan during the run of the show. It wormed its way into my brain so much that I had trouble sleeping. I might have to start a rewatch myself and catch up on the podcast. Here's a wallpaper I pieced together and upped to the site near the end of the show in 2010. Planned to do more, but the show ended and I never got around to it.

No Caption Provided

Gista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Gista

Piggy backing of what they talked about with X Files. A show that I feel like was a sort of a modern version or a new type of series like X Files is the show Supernatural on the CW. I've been a fan of the show since the first season and I've just began watching X-Files because I like Supernatural so much. They both kind of have the same style of the -Monster-of-the-week format with the later seasons on Supernatural kind of still having that them but integrating them within the overall story that season, the main characters have great chemistry and add lots of humor to the show. But one of the one major differences is that X-Files kinda has the whole mystery of you have no idea why any of this stuff is happening where Supernatural you know why shit is going down.

Just thought I'd add my two cents, if anyone was a fan of X-Files, I'd highly recommend to check out Supernatural, or Vice versa.

Also to Max or Patrick if they have seen the show what do you think about it?

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gista said:

Piggy backing of what they talked about with X Files. A show that I feel like was a sort of a modern version or a new type of series like X Files is the show Supernatural on the CW. I've been a fan of the show since the first season and I've just began watching X-Files because I like Supernatural so much. They both kind of have the same style of the -Monster-of-the-week format with the later seasons on Supernatural kind of still having that them but integrating them within the overall story that season, the main characters have great chemistry and add lots of humor to the show. But one of the one major differences is that X-Files kinda has the whole mystery of you have no idea why any of this stuff is happening where Supernatural you know why shit is going down.

Just thought I'd add my two cents, if anyone was a fan of X-Files, I'd highly recommend to check out Supernatural, or Vice versa.

Also to Max or Patrick if they have seen the show what do you think about it?

I like to think of Supernatural as a cross between X Files and Community. I've only caught bits and pieces, but I liked what I saw.

serujiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@development: If you can believe that someone was magically healed from paralysis then maybe it also healed the leg muscles from any atrophy

@notdavid: Well the character John Locke is named after the philosopher John Locke who had the thought experiment about the sock.

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they framed "Jack's Dad" was so Slenderman-esque. Fantastic.

To Lost's credit, applying the negative trait of "I must fix and am responsible for everything" is such a great thing to apply to a traditional protagonist of Jack.

Often I feel as though the backgammon analogy at the beginning is one of the flaws of the overarching plot of LOST. Can't everyone be broken, without being divided into being of light or dark character?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accidentally watched to Sayid's episode. Looking forward to that podcast. There's a shot where the actress is straight-up laughing during an incredibly serious moment that they kept in the episode for some reason, which I thought was hilarious.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Milkman

Even though I remember Jack episodes historically being kind of lame, I enjoyed White Rabbit way more than I expected. The scene with Jack and Locke in the jungle may be my favorite of the series to this point. It really sets the groundwork for these two as foils to each other for the rest of the series.

A couple of other side notes:

• Sawyer consistently amazes with his ability to be a complete dickhead at all times. It's so great.
    • To my knowledge, this is the first time a variation of the "Life & Death Theme" pops up. When I think Lost, it's the first time that pops into my head. Before any characters or mysteries or plot points, this song is Lost to me.
    Loading Video...

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

This podcast is making me want to watch Lost again and I don't have time for all that! Ugh! It's reminding me of so many moments I loved and characters I had forgotten about that I enjoyed.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People shit on Jack a lot, but his season 1/2 flashbacks are all terrific ("All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" is so good!), and I remember liking White Rabbit a whole heck of a lot. Season one had the ability to take these kind of dumb tropes (ooh, scary visions!) and really make them work with the context of the show and the characters. Great episode overall.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Any news on if the podcast is coming today? I've checked both Patrick and Max's twitters and don't find/see anything. Also their website is fucked, tried clicking the link to this thread and its an ad or something.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be able to update this thread if the podcast is uploaded while I'm at work today, so I'll go ahead and open up discussion now. How did you feel about this week's episode?

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seanbooker: I thought so too, but they are going nice and slowly. I think the idea is to go one episode a week for Season 1. After that, who knows? I forget how the quickly show quality tapers off.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Milkman

I assume the Max...situation is what's holding up the podcast this week.

Anyway, House of the Rising Sun is definitely one of the cases where what's happening in the flashbacks is way more interesting than what's happening on the island. The Jin/Sun off island story is really fascinating and it's impressive how much we learn about the dynamics of their relationship in such a short time. On the island, the Jack and Kate romance angle is just terrible, though it is slightly redeemed by Charlie's outright disdain for their flirting. His comment about the two "verbally copulating" is one of the great laugh out loud moments of the episode and Max was definitely right when he said on the last podcast (or maybe the one before) that Lost can definitely be very funny when it wants to be.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Ravelle

I finished Lost.

Spoilers below.

The second part of the show got really weird when they introduced Ben and the village along with the time traveling. They also seemed to introduce unnecessary character and a moment later killed them off without much explanation (Dynamite explosions, and that Martin guy shooting everybody.The show was at its best when it was just surviving on the Island together and being themselves.

Michael and his son were the worst in my opinion, their back stories were not interesting and the only thing they went on about were : WHERE'S MY SON/DAD. The direction the writers made him go was even worse.

I also felt really cheated when they switched John Locke's character with the smoke monster, through out the last season I kept on hoping John to somehow make it back to the Island and save everyone from the smoke monster but it never came, only his alternate timeline version. Of all the characters I'm going to miss him the most.

As for the ending, Everyone seemed to be together to move on even though some were alive and well and escaped the Island. And who's protecting the Island now?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: Regarding your last point:

The epilogue/church scene takes place years (or perhaps in Hurley and Benji's case, centuries) after the events of the show. They're in purgatory, essentially waiting to be reunited with each other so they can move on to a new life together. As far as who is protecting the island now, who knows? That's the divisive thing about LOST's ending. Some people were in it for the mystery and wanted all the answers, and some people wanted resolution to the cast of characters. The writers probably could have done a better job satisfying the mystery/mythology crowd, but for me the ending was poignant and hit all the right notes when it came to the characters.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Ravelle

@oldirtybearon said:

@ravelle: Regarding your last point:

The epilogue/church scene takes place years (or perhaps in Hurley and Benji's case, centuries) after the events of the show. They're in purgatory, essentially waiting to be reunited with each other so they can move on to a new life together. As far as who is protecting the island now, who knows? That's the divisive thing about LOST's ending. Some people were in it for the mystery and wanted all the answers, and some people wanted resolution to the cast of characters. The writers probably could have done a better job satisfying the mystery/mythology crowd, but for me the ending was poignant and hit all the right notes when it came to the characters.

Aha gotcha. They toyed with the concept of time so much it confused me a little. Especially since Penny was also present at the church, made me wonder if I missed the part where she was suppose to die.

Also, is it known what John heard in the cabin for the first time when Ben lead him to his made up Jacob. Since it wasn't Jacob then what or who did he hear asking for help? That and Jack's character development was really weird to me, he went from good doctor guy to a somewhat cynical crazy eyed doctor guy. He's almost a complete different character at the end.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: Regarding point 2 I have absolutely no idea. It's been a few years since LOST ended and I haven't re-watched a single episode since. I'm fuzzy on a lot of the finer details. I remember a lot of the important, meta narrative stuff, but I also remember finishing the show and thinking "so what was the deal with [x] anyhow?"

The advice I got was "just don't think about it too much" and, to be perfectly honest, I think that's the right way to enjoy LOST.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ravelle

@oldirtybearon said:

@ravelle: Regarding point 2 I have absolutely no idea. It's been a few years since LOST ended and I haven't re-watched a single episode since. I'm fuzzy on a lot of the finer details. I remember a lot of the important, meta narrative stuff, but I also remember finishing the show and thinking "so what was the deal with [x] anyhow?"

The advice I got was "just don't think about it too much" and, to be perfectly honest, I think that's the right way to enjoy LOST.

Yeah, some mystery and viewer imagination is always good. The show had some inconsistencies and plot holes but somehow make sense in its narrative because of the crazy Island rules.

John Locke smiling at the end made my eyes tear up.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Wow dunno how I missed this. Would love to hear a dedicated lost discussion.

Are they still uploading the podcasts? :(

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Lost jumped every shark there is third season. This video sums up my feelings about Lost almost perfectly (spoilers, not that it matters for reasons that quickly become apparent.)

Loading Video...

Abrams & co admittedly made some awesome shit, and then resolved absolutely fucking nothing.

Wow that video looks like a lot of hard work!

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accidentally watched to Sayid's episode. Looking forward to that podcast. There's a shot where the actress is straight-up laughing during an incredibly serious moment that they kept in the episode for some reason, which I thought was hilarious.

Really? When in the episode does this happen so I can check it out, I've never seen this before, which is weird.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By development

@baillie said:

@development said:

Really? When in the episode does this happen so I can check it out, I've never seen this before, which is weird.

During Sayid's flashback, near the end, when he's helping [forgot her name] the female hostage escape just before killing his fellow guard. The camera goes to a zoomed out shot of Sayid and her, and she's visibly laughing at something pretty hard. Unless her nervous response is just a giant toothy grin.

Also, Patrick said that episode had bad special effects. There... weren't any... right? I think he must have been thinking of another episode.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Oh man, you're right. I never noticed that before. Nice eye. Also, yeah I don't know what Patrick's talking about.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely thought this thread was about the song :P

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's get this thread going again for the week.

The Moth is pretty much the definition of a mixed bag. The off island story isn't all that interesting and it certainly felt like this was the least amount time devoted to the flashbacks so far in the series. I think Max described it perfectly last week as the story of Charlie being sad in a band. There's no real revelations like Walkabout or House of the Rising Sun and the story pretty goes exactly like how you would expect. Charlie is in a band, it gets big, he does drugs, the end.

The cave-in feels like another case of the manufactured drama that seems to have been rife throughout season 1. There's no real consequence or meaning behind it. It just serves to give everyone on the island something to do for a while. On the flip side, the interactions between Locke and Charlie in this episode are great. In particular, the scene with the moth cocoon in the jungle, even if it all leads to a pretty corny ending. Sawyer, once again, is a stand-out as he has been throughout season 1. He's at prime scumbag levels in this episode and you can't help but hang onto to every word from him. It's a shame a lot of it is in service of the (still lame) Kate-Jack romance.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By development

I'm mid-way through season 2. This shit is already so weird. @milkman Charlie is the worst fucking character. I think the only people I genuinely like are Locke, the tail-section drug trafficker dude with the torn shirt, and maybe Hurley, but we'll see where his story goes.

Avatar image for maxistentialist
    maxistentialist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hammondoftexas: Thanks for the heads up! Should be all fixed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqOpjrjOoM

Dr_Beaverah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: I'm happy somebody gets it. Perfect explanation. I've had so much difficulty explaining what the flash sideways was to people. I've seen others explain it in weird convoluted ways. It's less ambiguous than people think. Sure, some of the details surrounding the "afterlife" are a little iffy- but it's made pretty clear what's happening, when, and why.

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh come on guys, I'm still watching this.

I totally skipped through that Claire episode, though. It was GARBAGE.

GhostE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By GhostE

That College humor video is meant to be funny right? Half of those questions aren't questions and another bigger chunk are actually answered in the show.

The killing Alex part was answered by Cuse or Lindelof saying it was just gentlemens rules that Ben/Widmore would keep each others families out of it.

On Solitary, I like the episode, and think like a bunch of other episodes (White Rabbit, Walkabout) it makes for an interesting rewatch having seen the series. Prior to this podcast, just by coincidence I decided finally rewatch S6, and it played much better the second time, and adds a lot to these early episodes.

Knowing that Rousseau actually killed all the people she came with, that the smoke monster is also "the sickness" adds a lot. As much as I thought the whispers explanation was lame (but an answer I can live with) it also added context to the first scene we hear them with sayid.

Lazy0718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I missed most of the internet hype surrounding Lost the first time I watched it. I was deployed to Iraq when I watched the first 3 seasons, then never got into the message boards as the last 3 seasons came out. What that means is that I missed all the negativity surrounding the show. I loved the show the first time I saw it and it remains one of my all time favorite TV shows. It's actually quite jarring to hear Max being so down on the show at times. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with all that hate for the show when I watched it.

I restarted watching the show to keep up with this podcast, but gave up trying to hold myself back. I'm almost done with Season 1. Still as great as ever.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 6, Episode 15, 13 minutes in:

Holy shit. Lost is fucking Dark Souls. @patrickklepek

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one still listening to this? Did they shut it down? Are they taking a break?

Lazy0718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@elixirbronze: They apparently recorded a new episode on September 8th. Not sure why it isn't up yet.

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By IzunaDrop

I'm not waiting for the guys. Watching this on Blu-Ray is too good.

Whatever happens with the podcast, I just want to say thanks to Patrick and Max for doing it so far. You and everyone in the forum got me up to ...In Translation. One of the all-time great episodes, not just of Lost Season 1, but of the whole show, possibly TV in general. Fantastic cinematography, great acting by the cast (Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim especially, although I also really loved Jin's Dad, what a smile)..Great TV.

This episode also contains my most iconic scene of Season 1; the one scene I remembered beat-for-beat. I was waiting for it ever since I started the rewatch. It is still brilliant.

I am, of course, referring to the just-bordering-on-unnecessary montage followed by the chilling Discman death, Hurley's human reaction, and then the cold close. Jorge Garcia, you brought some serious magic to this show, and if your career in acting doesn't take off, I hope the money was good, and bravo.

Jorge's other scene is as the guy in canon who sees through the writers' horrible "Asian guy not okay with people looking at his wife's body" racial play, and instead sees the good in Jin, to offer him some chill fishing time, rather than angry golf. After watching this scene, and the sea urchin resolution, I am eager to rewatch their friendship grow again.

Sun and Jin are one of two great love stories (Bernard and Rose the other, of course) that are hidden in this show. A show that can be just awful at romance plots. Sometimes it's the people who don't play backgammon at all that really hook us into the show.

Although, this episode has a great backgammon scene. In my opinion, this is the high point for Locke and Walt in the whole run of the show.

Terry O'Quinn would be given a lot to work with at points later on in the show, but it's Season 1 Locke that endeared him to us all. Locke at this point in the story is our adventurous spirit set free, our wish to be "special" fulfilled. In Season 1 only, there are times you are meant to feel good for Locke, with Locke. Those times are nice.

The polarising deus ex machina of the show and the emotional arc ultimately written for Locke make him a powerful tragic figure, which would never have been as effective without this prior greatness.

Walt's admission of wanting to remain on the island, and his sharing it in confidence with his kindred spirit, Locke, was a high point.. Walt and the child actor who played him, Malcolm David Kelley, were never better than this moment of true development for the boy with the dog. I remember his aging compared to Walt's expected age in the show, along with the writer's strike (maybe?), not to mention kinda iffy writing on the show after S1, result in Walt never truly becoming the vector I always wished him to be in the arc of this odyssey.

- PS: Am I the only one who wishes we could all do this and rewatch/comment on Chris Carter's Harsh Realm? Another great Terry O'Quinn vehicle. Long live General Omar Santiago.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Milkman

With the podcast back in (seemingly) full swing, I figured I'd try to get this thread going again.

Anyway, this week's episode "Whatever the Case May Be" is TERRIBLE. Completely uninteresting off island story where we learn nothing about Kate that we didn't already know and on island, it's nothing but garbage fluff. The final reveal of what's in the briefcase is painfully bad. "IT BELONGED TO THE MAN I KILLED" may be one of the worst lines of the series. Is that supposed to be shocking? The person who has appeared as nothing but a criminal in all the off island flashbacks killed someone? Wow, what a revelation. Add some extended screen time for the show's worst character, Shannon and this has to be considered in the pantheon of worst Lost episodes ever.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the itunes podcast is 36 seconds long, so i guess patrick and max felt the same way

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Baillie

So is this a failed podcast? Not been updated in over 3 weeks now.

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

So is this a failed podcast? Not been updated in over 3 weeks now.

Given it was meant to be followed weekly, and is since abandoned, with little feedback to the listeners on why......its dead. :( AV Club it is.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izunadrop: This makes me sad... Every week I check my podcast feed sad to see no update.

cpsterndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're finally back with a new episode! http://www.rewatchpodcast.com/12

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, my last post got read on the podcast this week. That was uncomfortable.

Anyway, no, I did not enjoy "Hearts and Mind." Thank god this is the only Boone episode in the series.

Joeku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know what specific shot they were referring to at the end there and can safely link it? It is really not coming back to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.