Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 09, 2009

In this direct sequel to Lost Winds, Toku and Enril must race against time to rescue Toku's captive mother from the shadowy clutches of Balasar.

WiiWare Celebrates It's 100th Game With Lost Winds 2

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

This week sees the launch of the 100th WiiWare game, the eagerly anticipated LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias, the sequel to the award winning original, Lost Winds by Frontier. 

"We launched the original LostWinds game on WiiWare with much anticipation, as it was such an exciting and new way to access games. We are now thrilled to be able to mark the 100th game launch with LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias." 

- David Braben, Game Creator at Frontier 

Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias (Frontier, 1000 Wii Points)

LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias offers a fresh, rewarding and explorative gameplay experience that makes exceptional use of the Wii remote, with quality to match the very best Wii disc games. In the game, Enril the Wind Spirit protects and guides the game's protagonist, Toku, powering his jumps, aiding his glides and smashing his enemies. However, an evil adversary binds the fate of Toku's mother Magdi and the ancient Melodia civilisation. To save Magdi, Toku and Enril must face new foes, enlist friends old and new, and wield incredible new powers. With the ability to switch the very seasons themselves, they will explore the diverse, richly interactive Chilling Peaks and Melodia City areas of the magical land of Mistralis.   

Launch Trailer:

Other Releases:

VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 500 Wii Points)  

Get ready for the final Wonder Boy adventure on SEGA MASTER SYSTEM. Picking up where Wonder Boy in Monster Land left off, our hero is making his way through a castle to defeat the mighty Mecha Dragon. But beware - when Wonder Boy defeats a Dragon, a curse forces him to take the shape of a were-animal, such as a Lizard-Man or Hawk-Man. Wonder Boy must travel throughout Monster Land in search of the Salamander Cross, which has the power to remove curses. But where is it hidden - and what form will you take next? 

Final Fight 2 (SUPER NINTENDO, 800 Wii Points)  

The Mad Gear Gang has emerged once again, and this time they want revenge! They'll stop at nothing to bring Haggar and the entire world crumbling down. To prove they're serious, they've kidnapped Guy's master, Genryusai, along with his daughter, Rena, who is also Guy's fiancee. Now Haggar must travel far and wide to search for Genryusai and Rena. But he's not alone - helping him are Rena's sister, Maki, and Haggar's apprentice, Carlos. Together, the three set out to take down the Mad Gear Gang once and for all. Take control of any of the three heroes and make use of their unique techniques and abilities in a fast-paced adventure which will take you to locations all around the globe. And you're not alone, either - you can also have a friend join the heroic fight to bring an end to the Mad Gear Gang. 

DSiWARE

DRAGON QUEST WARS (SQUARE ENIX, 500 Nintendo DSi Points)  :)

Take control of a squad of monsters from the Dragon Quest series and wage war. While the rules may be simple, you'll need all your strategic skills to win the battles. You'll need to be brave enough to lead your army of monsters into battle, learn their unique abilities, and plan your moves carefully to emerge the victor. Compete in two modes: Versus and Survival; testing your skills against computer opponents in the single-player game, or battling against your friends in Nintendo DS Wireless Play. Or take the ultimate challenge and go online via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and pit your Dragon Quest prowess against players across the world. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

I wish I could access WiiWare.  There would be at least 4 games I would download, including both Lost Winds.  I am definitely serious about getting Dragon Quest Wars though - looks excellent.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @oldschool said:

" I wish I could access WiiWare.  There would be at least 4 games I would download, including both Lost Winds.  I am definitely serious about getting Dragon Quest Wars though - looks excellent. "

I thought you might be, I forgot to mention it to you yesterday.   

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Willy105

I have not played the first one, since I heard it was too short.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " I have not played the first one, since I heard it was too short. "
    But it is fairly cheap though.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Eurogamer Review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lostwinds-winter-of-the-melodias-review?page=2
        9/10

IGN UK Review:

Rating

out of 10
    9.5Presentation
    Even more polished than the original LostWinds. Quite simply one of the best looking 2D games ever made.
    9.0Graphics
    Beautiful character design allied to wonderful backdrops, subtle animation and a plethora of charming touches.
    8.0Sound
    With no voiceovers, the attention turns to a calming, pastoral soundtrack and gentle effects.
    9.0Gameplay
    Broadly the same as last time, but with greater variety, stronger, more elaborate puzzles and no needless wandering.
    8.0Lasting Appeal
    Clocking in at around four hours, it doesn't outstay its welcome, but isn't a game you'll necessarily feel the need to return to once you're done. For the money, you won't complain.
    Outstanding
    OVERALL
    (out of 10 / not an average)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Eurogamer Review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lostwinds-winter-of-the-melodias-review?page=2
        9/10

IGN UK Review:

Rating

out of 10
    9.5Presentation
    Even more polished than the original LostWinds. Quite simply one of the best looking 2D games ever made.
    9.0Graphics
    Beautiful character design allied to wonderful backdrops, subtle animation and a plethora of charming touches.
    8.0Sound
    With no voiceovers, the attention turns to a calming, pastoral soundtrack and gentle effects.
    9.0Gameplay
    Broadly the same as last time, but with greater variety, stronger, more elaborate puzzles and no needless wandering.
    8.0Lasting Appeal
    Clocking in at around four hours, it doesn't outstay its welcome, but isn't a game you'll necessarily feel the need to return to once you're done. For the money, you won't complain.
    Outstanding
    OVERALL
    (out of 10 / not an average)
     "
    So, it runs about the same amount of time as Halo: ODST and is a lot cheaper (and likely much more fun)  ^-^ 

I really must organise going to a friends and downloading games.  Why don't they just let me download to an SD card from the PC?  It would be a lot easier.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

:D

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @oldschool:  

Games you purchase in the Wii Shop are tied to the console they are bought on, via your consoles Wii Number, If they allowed SD card downloads it could make piracy & game sharing more likely. 

If I were you, I would take a look on the official site and draw up a list of games beforehand.  

I am loving Lost Winds 2, it's so bloody good!, the puzzles are ingenious, they've had me in awe of them at times. The game looks gorgeous too, every single level I have played so far has charmed me to the core. And the music...is so dreamy. 

I'm taking my time and exploring every nook and cranny...I don't want this game to end. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Better/more challenging than Icarian? Other than the stage vs the continuous world approach, Icarian to me was what I hoped from a Lost Winds sequel. I can't buy this like I wanted to until my home internet's working again so that's why I ask. I'll be getting it anyway as it's bount to be brilliant, just wondering exactly how brilliant :-p

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail

Oh dear me, haven't checked DSiWare in ages!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Al3xand3r said:

" Better/more challenging than Icarian? Other than the stage vs the continuous world approach, Icarian to me was what I hoped from a Lost Winds sequel. I can't buy this like I wanted to until my home internet's working again so that's why I ask. I'll be getting it anyway as it's bount to be brilliant, just wondering exactly how brilliant :-p "

I would say it's better game overall, it's more akin to my tastes anyway. I think it's on par in terms of it's challenge. Some of the puzzles you face are really well conceived. The complexity of the puzzles is greatly improved over the original with the new abilities Toku has. Too bad, but rest assured, you have a another great Wii game waiting for you.   

The next simply has to come to disc... 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @oldschool:  

Games you purchase in the Wii Shop are tied to the console they are bought on, via your consoles Wii Number, If they allowed SD card downloads it could make piracy & game sharing more likely. 

If I were you, I would take a look on the official site and draw up a list of games beforehand.  

I am loving Lost Winds 2, it's so bloody good!, the puzzles are ingenious, they've had me in awe of them at times. The game looks gorgeous too, every single level I have played so far has charmed me to the core. And the music...is so dreamy.   I'm taking my time and exploring every nook and cranny...I don't want this game to end.   ... "
    All things are solveable though.  Not that I am overly bothered, but they could simply include your Wii code when you download so that the attachment is already made and set.  Anything is possible if they want.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well, I've just finished it.. I am currently on that high you get when you finish a game you love, but It's tinged with a little sweet sadness also. I cannot help but wish it was slightly longer, something I could return to for a few weekends in a row. None the less, what a awesome game!..I cannot stress that enough.  

The next game has to come to disc in my eyes, it really needs to expand upon this game greatly and provide a more of a meatier experience. I will be playing it again and guiding my girlfriend through the game also at some point. She wants to play it also now having seen first hand some of the games beautiful moments. 

Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias      - Enchanting from start to finish

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

I'll be getting this with some Wii Points this holiday season. Absolutely loved the first one.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By linkster7

Can only name one wiiware game, and that's Lost winds. So I guess this makes it full circle.
    Nr. 200 is of course going to be Lost Winds 3.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Claude said: 

" I'll be getting this with some Wii Points this holiday season. Absolutely loved the first one. "

It would be a great game to play around Christmas time, especially if it's snowing outside :).  

it's a very inclusive game in a party setting, if you see somebody play you cannot help but make suggestions, sometimes to the point you want to take control of the remote yourself, as people who have seen me play have found. It's not a conventional party game, but it is a good one none the less.  

@ Linkster7 

It could well find itself on disc, now is the time to make the transition, and for Nintendo to buy out this studio before somebody else does.     
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh shoot this is out already? I'm gonna have to get me some points.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, Frontier's not some tiny indie studio that will be bought just like that, they made Elite, you know. Lost Winds is just one of their small projects. I suppose if their current full projects underperform they could be up for grabs (one of their games doesn't look so hot sadly), but hopefully they'll keep doing well as they are, and bring us Elite 4.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo are said to be highly impressed with their work. Maybe they could invest in and secure a deal with a newly created division at Frontier.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By turbomonkey138

DO you guys reckon they might release gamecube games on the wii store ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turbomonkey138: Not until the Wii gets a hard drive

Man, WiiWare seems like such a wasted opportunity. For every good game on there, there's 15 shitty ones.
    Oh well, I always wanted to try Lost Winds, but it slipped through the cracks. With this second iteration I'm deffo gonna give it a shot.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By JJOR64

I need to go back and finish the first Lost Winds.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @TeflonBilly said:

" @turbomonkey138: Not until the Wii gets a hard drive  Man, WiiWare seems like such a wasted opportunity. For every good game on there, there's 15 shitty ones. Oh well, I always wanted to try Lost Winds, but it slipped through the cracks. With this second iteration I'm deffo gonna give it a shot. "

Bollocks, there are plenty more than one for every 15 (as that would mean only what, 6 good games in Europe, when there are many many more), and if you let the good games fall through the cracks then it's up to you, it doesn't mean the service is bad. Most platforms have more bad than good anyway, how many of the 500+++ Steam games did you find worthy of purchase for yourself? As for Lost Winds, eh, why not get both now that you're reminded of it (not that people had a reason to forget the first and let it fall through the cracks as it's always mentioned as a great Wii game), it's episodic after all and will flow smoothly from one to the next.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#25  Edited By AgentJ
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " DO you guys reckon they might release gamecube games on the wii store ? "
    Not going to happen. It'd take way more room than the average wii can hold. Besides, you can get most any gamecube game (save Ikaruga) on ebay pretty easily
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Al3xand3r: I'll make sure of that next time I visit Mommy, Daddy, Sarah and Billy :P
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just bought it and played a few mins, definitely more challenging than the first (already I almost froze to death once), and the introductory sections are fantastic. That thing reminds me of DOG :-P

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By thebobster10

The opening minutes with the giant rock creature magmok is simply amazing. It really shows off the beautiful character models that are in the game. The game is amazing to look at and listen to. The game is also very fun to play. Never beat the original because it deleted the file by itself right when I was at the very end.. Ugh. Hopefully this one doesnt have the same issue.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

Oh so it is really good? That is nice to hear; I have yet to buy a WiiWare game and I may, 100 games later (lol), see what it's all about.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @robbob88 said:
    " The opening minutes with the giant rock creature magmok is simply amazing. It really shows off the beautiful character models that are in the game. The game is amazing to look at and listen to. The game is also very fun to play. Never beat the original because it deleted the file by itself right when I was at the very end.. Ugh. Hopefully this one doesnt have the same issue. "

I agree entirely.  

I'll be playing this again come Christmas day.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks

Square Enix are localizing the game for release in Japan, just like they did with the first game. If you didn't know already, the Japanese audience really like this game.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.