Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Luigi's Mansion

Franchise »

A series of games starring Luigi as the main protagonist.

Which Luigi's Mansion should I get?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Luigi's Mansion should I get? (89 votes)

Original 78%
    Dark Moon 22%

Hello, people!

As a Nintendo fan, I've always thought that the Luigi's Mansion games looked fun and interesting, but I never pulled the trigger on either of them. The closest I ever got was co-op in my girlfriend's copy of Dark Moon, which was a fun time. Now with 3 announced for Switch and a port of 1 coming to 3DS, Nintendo's finally forced my hand.

Dark Moon has an advantage by going for only $20, but I know there's a significant portion of people who think it didn't live up to the original. At the same time, the original's supposed to be a short game, so I'm hesitant about plopping down a full $40 for something I can run through in a day.

So which is the better option?

• 
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

The original is short if you know what you're doing, but can go pretty long on the first playthrough. It's more of an exploration-based adventure game with light sprinklings of Metroidvania. Dark Moon is a game you boot up while you're taking a dump, play a level, and then have to wipe your crusty ass because the levels are a little bit too long to be fun but you still feel compelled to see them through because there's just enough there that's decent.

Get the first one. It's got a great sense of humour, it's goofy in all the right ways and is chocked full of great little secrets and easter eggs to find. Dark Moon suffers from being mission-based rather than about exploration and it drags on far too long despite being chunked up into discreet levels.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The original is a fantastic game. It's goofy in all the right ways and pretty fun. Not very long though.

I fell off Dark Moon pretty quickly.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely wait for the 3DS version of the first one and get that shit!

And then don't hesitate to pick up the second one whenever you can. Both really good games

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both! With the original getting a remake on 3ds in the dark moon engine it’s a perfect time to play both on 3ds. I loved dark moon but have not yet played the original.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not yet played the original but I really loved Dark Moon. Can’t wait for 3!

miceman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Moon is a much more fleshed out and fully realized game. The original was fun but a basic four hour tech demo that people are convinced is better than is better only because they don't like the mission structure in the sequel or this is another extreme case of nostalgia.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Put me in the camp of not liking the mission structure in Dark Moon. Instead of letting you freely explore it keeps pulling you back out of each mansion when you finish a mission, so only the last mission or two of each mansion really allows you to explore the whole thing. Also one or two of the mansions are just bad areas that are boring to look at.

Luigi's Mansion is definitely way more awkward to control and has older game design conventions and lots of weird half-realized shit in it, but I remember my time with it a lot more positively than the mostly bland memories I have of Dark Moon.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing the first Luigi's Mansion has over the second is it's persobality, the mansion is almost a character in itself and the metroidvania type way in which you explore it makes it really fun to get to know it. Also the portrait ghosts give the game a really quirky character that was kind of missing with the more generic ghosts from the second game.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the original because it had a great aesthetic to it with memorable ghosts and rooms in the mansion. While Dark Moon is better in terms of improving the gameplay a bit and providing a longer experience, I felt it lost all of that. The ghosts are all bland and generic, the rooms are all interchangeable. It was definitely going for more of an arcade-y feel, where the mansion is just a backdrop for the gameplay. It reminds me a lot of the problems I (and a lot of people) have had with the more recent Paper Mario games; they took out all the originality and uniqueness while doubling down on the gameplay that it turns out isn't that engaging without that stuff.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MocBucket62

Wait for the original to come out on 3DS. Dark Moon is suppose to be quite good on its own, but I remember looking at footage for it and thought the enemy design wasn’t as inspired as the original, where you are capturing actual ghosts of former humans. One of the bosses is a Ghost Baby!

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nicksmi56

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Looks like the original won pretty handily, so I'll be picking that one up and I can easily drop $20 on the sequel if I like it.

Now I just have to decide whether I'm picking up the re-release or jumping on this cheap copy of the Gamecube version I found for nostalgia's sake. Probably 3DS because portability and quality of life features. Anyway thanks again!

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Moon has serious pacing issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.