Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

Quick response from a Macbook user needed

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

Hey guys,  

I just saw an Early 2009 Macbook Unibody (120gb/2gb ram - 4gb 1066mhz limit) going for about half price -- is this worth the investment? I am a Music student at uni and have not had much in the way of experience with the Macbooks themselves, however I am familiar with the the AIO Macs -- are the macbooks competent enough for audio recording/mixing/editing etc on their own? 

Obviously I would up the RAM/HDD speed, just need to know if this would be a worthwhile investment!

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PerryVandell

Ram is only really important if you play games. I guess if you play lots of Call of Duty you could...

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By sup909

Absolutely. Half the price meaning it is around $600? If it is early 2009 it probably has a Core 2 Duo in it. That is plenty capable for audio recording. I use a 1st generation Macbook still for my audio recording.  Personally I don't even think you need to worry about upping the HDD to a 7200 rpm one, but more Ram never hurts. 

What specific audio applications do you intend to do with it? Are you going to be multi-track recording or more something along the lines of software composition?  

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Lashe

It's both, I'm a composer so I need at least some Sibelius or Finale with some good instrument banks and midi support.  

For recording and electroacoustic composition I use ProTools on the Uni Macs, and I'm usually pretty sensible with my plugins and such -- I tend to bounce recordings when I'm happy with them to alleviate any pressure on the ram.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob

Avoid MacBooks like the plague. Not a second goes by without me wishing I had a real laptop instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.