Mace: The Dark Age is a 3D medieval-fantasy weapon-based fighting game developed and released by Atari Games for arcades in early 1997. It was later ported to the Nintendo 64 by Midway in October 1997.
The game is set in the year 1273, where seven lords from Europe, Arabia, and Asia have grown powerful from an alliance with the demon Asmodeus (who feeds his power from the fabled Mace of Tanis), forming the Covenant of Seven. Now, warriors seek to defeat Asmodeus and wield the power for themselves.
The game plays like a traditional 3D fighting game with three attack buttons (Quick, Strong, and Kick) and one Evade button. Along with a number of short combo chains and moves that can link into combos, each fighter has a number of special moves and one Execution, which can only be performed once the opponent loses the match. Throws can also be performed by holding forward and pressing the Quick button.
The initial release of the game includes eight normal playable fighters, four hidden characters that are unlocked after a certain period of time, two boss characters (one of which can be played with a hidden method), and one very hidden joke character.
The Nintendo 64 version unlocks two of the time-locked characters from the start (requiring specific cheat codes for the other two characters) and adds two new joke characters (one of which is an unplayable training dummy for Practice Mode).
- Al' Rashid
- The Executioner
- Lord Deimos
- Mordos Kull
- Ragnar Bloodaxe
- Takeshi Tsunami
- Taria de Castillo
- Xiao Long
- Hellknight (hidden character, time-locked in the Arcade version, unlocked from the start in the N64 version)
- Ichiro Tsunami (hidden character, time-locked in the Arcade version, unlocked with cheat code in the N64 version)
- Sir Dregan (hidden character, time-locked in the Arcade version, unlocked from the start in the N64 version)
- Warmech (hidden character, time-locked in the Arcade version, unlocked with cheat code in the N64 version)
- Pojo! (hidden joke character, playable with cheat code)
- Ned the Janitor (hidden joke character exclusive to the N64 version, playable with cheat code)
- Spanky (unplayable joke Practice Mode opponent exclusive to the N64 version)
- Grendal (mid-boss, playable with cheat code)
- Asmodeus (unplayable boss)