Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mad Max

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

An open world action game with an emphasis on vehicular combat, based on the Mad Max character from the series of Australian post-apocalyptic films by George Miller.

New "Multiple Choice" trailer has sold me on Mad Max

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After seeing Fury Road this year and it becoming one of my favorite action movies, no, one of my favorite movies of all time, I've found this new appreciation for roaring car engines, flames, kinetic energy, destruction and chaos. This trailer I think has finally sold me on the game because it gives me all of that stuff I loved from Fury Road.

The idea of being in the open wasteland of Mad Max and having a game about that is really neat but THIS is what I needed to see. These kinds of chaotic car chases. Smashing into cars, burning cars, throwing explosive crap at them, shooting dudes with your gun and watching car parts fly be. I can't wait for this! You can even sort of launch yourself off rocks with your engines and kind of fly for a few seconds. Also SANDSTORM CRAZINESS.

Funny enough, I think the point of the trailer was to show how many options you have and it kinda failed at that because it sort of all looks the same to me- complete chaos and destruction. Different methods of it I guess. Either way, I'm very very excited to do this stuff in the game.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good! Shame it comes out the same day as MGSV though. These WB games have a habit of going pretty cheap soon after, i'll buy it for 20$ down the road.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This game looks real good, but it's unfortunate that almost all of September will be taken up by MGS5. Couple that with the juggernauts that're going to see releases in October and November, and I'm worried that Mad Max is going to get lost in the shuffle.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: I know! I'm really worried about the sales. But if anything, that makes me want to buy it day 1 at full price even more to support it.

Oh and aside from MGSV and Mad Max coming out, Fury Road also releases that day on blu-ray....I'll be real busy that day. WHAT A LOVELY DAY

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved the new movie and was excited about this game, but with MGS 5 coming out the same day and other games coming out shortly after, I'm going to wait on it. This game still isn't exactly what I wanted out of a Mad Max game, but this trailer did make me more interested in it than I have been since the movie came out.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I see of this game, the more I want it. I've been a fan of Mad Max since my dad had me watch his well-worn VHS copy of Road Warrior as a kid, been into post apocalyptic stuff ever since. Pains me that I'll be skipping it on day one though. I've made it a personal goal of mine this year to make a decent dent in my 360 back log and the only game I'm picking up on release this year is Fallout 4. I'll probably be able to score this and Phantom Pain for a bit cheaper next year but looking at all these Mad Max videos isn't making that decision any easier.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, I wish this wasn't coming out on the same exact day as MGSV. I'd have totally bought this day one, otherwise.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm not sure if I'm sold on it yet, at least at full price, but it certainly does show some promise.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking A. This and MGS5 will tear me apart, during September, the busiest time at work for me. Cannot wait holy shit.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

I really want to see Fury Road before playing the game. Also, I really don't want to play Mad Max until I have given all my focus and time (gaming-wise) to the same day released MGS5 Phantom Pain. That said, from what I've seen of the game, I am very intrigued. It has some aspects in which I think I wouldn't typically like, but even those aspects I feel like I might like or look past.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Easily the game I'm most excited for right now.... Aside from Fallout 4. Post-Apocalypse is back, bitches!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All the journos who've seen it at shows say it looks not very good. I'll trust that over a slickly produced trailer, especially when they can't even get the game to show well at a trade show. So why not wait till the reviews hit before you're "sold"

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Canteu

@getz: Because I don't need other people to tell me what I like. Sold.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@getz: Because I don't need other people to tell me what I like. Sold.

You're letting marketers tell you what you like, or at least influence it. But you've got a point; marketers aren't people.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Canteu

@getz: I'm letting me tell me what I like. The trailer is nice sure, but from what I've seen the game appeals to me. I'm rarely wrong about the things I like oddly enough.

You're letting people you don't know tell you what you like, because they do/don't like it. How is that any different?

I form my own opinions, not base them around other people's.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that I can immediately identify the explosion sound effect at 2:00? It's the same sound effect as firing a rocket in Half Life 2.

It does seem like a fun game, and if Lisa The Joyful, MGS5 and Soma all weren't coming out so soon (seriously, this is probably the first time this year I am seriously hyped for new releases), I would consider buying it. Probably get it down the line when its cheap, which seems to happen quickly with WB games, especially on OzGames (it's already at $30 for PC version).

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Getz

@canteu: I haven't made a judgment either way. If you read what I wrote you'll see I'm in the wait-and-see frame of mind as I am with all games before they're actually released. It's the only way to be my friend. When you get your hopes up there are only two outcomes: disappointment or an affirmation of what you already "know." When you temper expectations, there is no disappointment. Instead the outcome is joy or an affirmation of what you already "know." The choice is clear, come in to the light!

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Canteu

@getz: Er. No. If the game sucks then so fucking what. I've wasted so much money on games during my lifetime I don't even care anymore.

If you don't live with any hope or wonder, then fine, be that way, that's not for me. I like to get excited for new things and use passion instead of cold calculating nerds to tell me what to buy. If something doesn't live up to my expectations then whatever, there will be more things to get excited about. I'll die tomorrow not really giving a shit and looking forward to things, whereas you'll be waiting for people who aren't yourself to give you their bland "money saving" opinions.

Why not live in a perpetual state of joy, excitement for the next thing, enjoyment of the thing that is good now and later, instead of waiting to be told to be joyful? What's the point in living in fear of disappointment, when all it does is remove excitement?

I've done this one thing for almost 30 years now, I've gotten pretty used to it and know what's good for me. My only expectations here are dumb cars and explosions, so I think I will be well served in that regard.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz: I'm not using "sold" entirely literally. If reviews are giving it 5/10s across the board, I'm not buying it.

(contrary to popular belief, if everyone says something sucks, it probably does suck)

When I say sold I mainly mean I'm very hyped. Besides, it's avalanche studios. I trust them a decent amount.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: Don't think this is getting a little out of hand? The lady doth protest too much methinks. You can have your excitement, I'm not trying, nor am I able, to take it away from you. Just trying to urge others to be responsible consumers. From your treatise I can tell that doesn't interest you, so god speed. The gaming industry is built on the backs of those with blind faith and loose wallets after all.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Yeah, the Avalanche pedigree does give them benefit of the doubt. I'm just a dirty cynic so when I see trailers my natural instinct is to throw up a cross with my fingers and hiss loudly.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz: History has always taught me personally that being a fan of the property is a big help. Alien Isolation isn't a truly great game by any means but I enjoyed the heck out of it because of the authenticity of what it's based on

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Fuck that, I'm not even a big Alien fan and I love the cohesiveness of the setting in Isolation. For me, good craft will always stand out. Those Riddick movies put me to sleep but Butcher Bay is a phenomenal game. Likewise if that Ratchet and Clank movie they're putting out is garbage I'll be right there saying so, and I'm a huge R&C fan.

I see fandom as a crutch, both by content makers and consumers. It disincentivizes (I think that's a word) truly great works, because fans will forgive a lot of flaws. Comic book movies are a great example; who's gonna remember The Avengers in 10 years? Is it a truly great movie or do people just like seeing their favorite characters blow shit up?

This is such a dumb tangent, I apologize...

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By John1912

I dont know I dont have high hopes for this game. I hope Im wrong. It looks interesting and I hope it is really good, but my expectations are really low. Also dont get the love for the movie. It was like a 7.5 at best. I lost most of my interest when at the half way point they turned around to repeat the first half of the film. Max being a complete side character didnt help. Was that the same in the first movie?

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
    CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CreepyUncleBrad

If it wasn't for MGSV coming out the same day and Just Cause 3 not too far away I'd be more excited. I loved Fury Road. As a long time Mad Max fan it was my favorite out of all of them. That said, I just can't get excited about this game no matter how much I wish I could. I wish it had a tiny bit more. The nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor would be great. Even then though, it just looks like a slice of Just Cause 3 which is way too close for me to need a sampling of before it is out.

Edit: I also wanted to add I feel bad for Avalanche because I feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot releasing these two games so close together. I mean, what could they really do about it? Not a whole lot. The cards just fell wrong for them with this game.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: your mentality reminds me of gamer hype that most people either don't have anymore or keep tightly sealed. I guess I find it refreshing, Your enthusiasm has got me taking a look at this game, I may just sign up for a month of gamefly and give it a try.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By emfromthesea

I wonder if the GB crew will feel fatigue from all the open world games coming out this year. Between Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight, MGSV, Mad Max, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3 and Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, there sure is a lot of them. And I'm probably forgetting some.

Mad Max looks cool, but as others have already mentioned, it will be a very Metal Gear-themed month for me. Between moving and prepping for uni, I'll be trying to squeeze in all the Metal Gear I can.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Canteu

@wolfgame: That's cool. It's been a really shitty year for me, so keeping my spirits up with stuff like this is all I can do. There are so many good games out this year that there's no way people aren't excited about at least some of them!

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SomberOwl

Some games this fall just need to be delayed. Everything is too crammed together this year!

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@john1912: Mad Max has always been about Max just being dragged along to whatever crazy shit was going on, and saying "They repeated the first half of the film" is pretty ridiculous.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OurSin_360

Game looks ok but i guess if you loved the movie it could make it look amazing. I thought the movie (even the earlier movies) was just ok and don't really get the reverence for it that everyone 'online' seems to have. Game looks ok too, but seems like it needs more dumb shit like in the movie. Basically make just cause 4 mad max

AzrealInc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AzrealInc

I'm excited for this game. And since I am one of the few that really doesn't care about MGSV, I'll have that time to play Mad Max. As for it looking good or expectations of greatness ... I just want to drive the Interceptor GT Falcon from the movies for a little while and be awesome.

iggypoptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sunbrozak: Isn't that every year though? Last year we had Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, 2 Assassin Creed's, Shadow of Mordor, Forza Horizon 2, Watch Dogs, The Crew, and I guess Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

Open-world fatigue is definitely a thing, but it's been a steady increase, not a sharp surge. I think the crew plays enough games in between each major open world release to stay fresh, but maybe this year is the year they'll think it's gotten stale.

I personally still like open-world design well enough, though I tend to skip most of the side stuff unless it's really well-crafted a la Witcher 3.

On Mad Max, I think it looks really good too! I haven't burned myself out on Batman combat yet (didn't play AK this year) and the car combat stuff looks really dank. Fingers crossed hoping they don't focus on the on foot stuff too much. Really the only disappointment I have is lack of multiplayer. Like how can you make a car combat game without multiplayer! Oh well, I'll still give it a look after MGSV, if the PC port isn't fucked.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz said:

All the journos who've seen it at shows say it looks not very good. I'll trust that over a slickly produced trailer, especially when they can't even get the game to show well at a trade show. So why not wait till the reviews hit before you're "sold"

I think this was the prevalent opinion a few months back. Recently, all I've been hearing is "I've finally got to play it, it's actually pretty great". Let me point you for example to the last Crate and Crowbar podcast. Even Jeff muttered something encouraging 2 weeks ago iirc,

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sunbrozak: Isn't that every year though? Last year we had Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, 2 Assassin Creed's, Shadow of Mordor, Forza Horizon 2, Watch Dogs, The Crew, and I guess Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

Open-world fatigue is definitely a thing, but it's been a steady increase, not a sharp surge. I think the crew plays enough games in between each major open world release to stay fresh, but maybe this year is the year they'll think it's gotten stale.

I personally still like open-world design well enough, though I tend to skip most of the side stuff unless it's really well-crafted a la Witcher 3.

On Mad Max, I think it looks really good too! I haven't burned myself out on Batman combat yet (didn't play AK this year) and the car combat stuff looks really dank. Fingers crossed hoping they don't focus on the on foot stuff too much. Really the only disappointment I have is lack of multiplayer. Like how can you make a car combat game without multiplayer! Oh well, I'll still give it a look after MGSV, if the PC port isn't fucked.

To avoid open world fatigue, I just try to pick and choose with my open world games. The only open world game I've played this year is Witcher. I'll be getting on the MGSV train, and then I will play Fallout 4, and then Just Cause. If there is time in between, I may try this, but it will depend on the reviews.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrdl said:
    @getz said:

I think this was the prevalent opinion a few months back. Recently, all I've been hearing is "I've finally got to play it, it's actually pretty great". Let me point you for example to the last Crate and Crowbar podcast. Even Jeff muttered something encouraging 2 weeks ago iirc,

The Crate and Crowbar would be a great pub name.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess you're right. What I can say in favour the open world games I've played this year so far is that they have all offered very different experiences. Bloodborne, Dying Light and The Witcher 3 could all be classed as "open world" but they play completely differently. Which is an improvement over last year, in which I feel like it was less openworld fatigue everyone was feeling and more Ubisoft fatigue.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By a_e_martin

@azrealinc said:

I just want to drive the Interceptor GT Falcon from the movies for a little while and be awesome.

Have they actually said that you'll get to drive it at some point in the game though? Seeing as how the whole driving force of the game's story is that Max has lost the Interceptor, our stint with it will probably be very brief, if we get to drive it at all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Everything I've seen of the actual gameplay seems rote, tired and not especially engaging, right down to the all too familiar awkwardness of car combat which I thought would be their main priority.

AzrealInc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrealinc said:

I just want to drive the Interceptor GT Falcon from the movies for a little while and be awesome.

Have they actually said that you'll get to drive it at some point in the game though? Seeing as how the whole driving force of the game's story is that Max has lost the Interceptor, our stint with it will probably be very brief, if we get to drive it at all.

If they don't let you unlock it at some point in the game, I will be very very sad. That car has been my holy grail of vehicles since I first saw it in Mad Max as a child. A part of me winces with anguish every time they destroy it in the movies. They HAVE to let you fix it up? Right? RIGHT?

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By qrdl
    @getz said:

The Crate and Crowbar would be a great pub name.

I vaguely remember that that's how they actually came up with the name. They wanted to come up with a good game-themed pub name.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno. That all seems really underwhelming. When I think of Mad Max, I think of all of the unbelievable stunt work using moving cars as the stage, not this awkward looking car combat. It feels like it's missing something.

Let me lock the gas pedal down, climb onto the hood of my car and then start shooting my pursuers as we blaze down the barren wasteland. Hell... With a guy on the back of your car, it seems crazy that they're not allowing you to let him take over driving while you get into some wild acrobatic shit.

I would have also loved to see some diplomatic choices in the game. Picking up jobs from different factions and forming allegiances. Not to mention that this would have very much benefited from a nemesis system like Shadow of Mordor.

Maybe this'll be good, but it's not really what I want out of a Mad Max game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:

I dont know I dont have high hopes for this game. I hope Im wrong. It looks interesting and I hope it is really good, but my expectations are really low. Also dont get the love for the movie. It was like a 7.5 at best. I lost most of my interest when at the half way point they turned around to repeat the first half of the film. Max being a complete side character didnt help. Was that the same in the first movie?

That wasn't the half way point in the film, that was the final act.

And Max was always an observer with barely any lines in MM 2 and 3. the first film is the only one where he's a real character. I don't see how it's a problem anyway since Furiosa is a strong character. Max is supposed to be a shell for the viewer

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Whats crazy is that after all these years the car combat still has the awkward moment where you bump into some guy and then you kinda do this weird three point turn to start shooting him again. It's like car combat hasn't evolved a single iota since Interstate '76

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

What are the other parts of gameplay? I mean ist not all car combat and close to car on foot stuff, right? There is a story, and other things to do and see while playing I hope.

Driving is okay, but a whole game of just what they showed there misses the point of Mad Max.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It's a hard problem. The car has to behave SOMEWHAT like a car, so it'll never really feel as under-control as you'd like. Shooting a gun is a hard problem because most of the time they tie the guns to the hood of the car, forcing you to inaccurately sweep, hoping to hit enemies. There is the option of letting you aim manually, but then you're splitting your focus on driving and aiming and that feels weird.

A possible solution seems very real for this game though, considering you have a potential driver in the back. I would have separated the two actions and have you switch positions on the fly.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Humanity

@viciousbearmauling: Yah unfortunately aiming and driving are two things that don't mesh very well together for the reasons you mentioned. Arkham Knight solved this problem in it's own unique way and while it might not have been the most fun solution it did work well and was pretty seamless. Sleeping Dogs had another good solution by turning on bullet time whenever you would manually aim your guns, allowing for precise aiming without altering the physics of driving.

The problem is that Mad Max doesn't seem to have any solution at all. From the gameplay I've seen there appears to be a pretty liberal auto aim when shooting projectiles but thats about it, they didn't reinvent the wheel in any way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.