Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Madden NFL 11

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 10, 2010

This year's Madden is the 22nd in the annual installment and features the slogan "Simpler, Quicker, Deeper".

Madden 11 Will Include NFL's New OT Rules

• 59 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Imagine playing a game of Chess for an hour and you and your opponent are at a standstill; it's a tie. But instead of continuing the game at the 60-minute mark, you go into overtime and flip a coin. The person who guesses the toss correctly gets to move some of his pieces first, and the first person who nabs a pawn or a bishop wins the entire game.  

No Caption Provided
    This is a really rough metaphor for what happens in the NFL if a game ends in a tie. The two teams meet again in the middle of the field, take a stab at how a coin will land in the turf, and the team who scores first wins. Most games that go into OT usually end because of a field goal and the victor is usually the team who wins the toss. It's a bummer--but things are changing.

The NFL has recently voted to change their sudden death overtime rule in the 2010-2011 playoffs. And Madden 11 will, of course, observe those changes and allow users to use them in normal games, too.
    == TEASER == 
    "Yep, we do support the new OT rules," Madden 11 creative director Ian Cummings told me via e-mail. "We turned on the new rules by default in Play Now and Online games as well because we felt that type of one-off game is kind of  'always the playoffs'…in that it’s always important, there’s no next week, and there’s no ties.

"The only way to get to the default 2009 (and before) rules is in franchise or online franchise, in the regular season naturally."

This was first confirmed on Spike TV's "EA Sports Kickoff Special," I'm told, but the lack of cable in my house kept me in the dark. You should also know that the observance of the new OT rules isn't the only switch that will be added this year courtesy of NFL owners meetings. As Pastapadre reported eons ago, Madden 11 will support the new umpire positions. Teams liked to use the umpires positioned behind defensive tackles as picks, essentially meat shields, during passing plays. Those umpires during real games, and in Madden 11, will now be behind the offensive side of the ball to prevent this silliness and possible injury.

No Caption Provided
    The new OT rules aren't that big of a change. If a team who wins a coin toss scores a touchdown, the game ends immediately. If it's just a field goal, though, the opposing team will get a chance to try and score in order to tie again or win with a touchdown. It's not a perfect system, but it's certainly better--and the rule is in the upcoming game in a franchise that has always been defined by its realism.     

Will you use the new OT rules in your Play Now and Online games? Have you ever experienced an OT loss because of a great kickoff return and a second down field goal? Tell us what's up in the comments and on the boards!
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Imagine playing a game of Chess for an hour and you and your opponent are at a standstill; it's a tie. But instead of continuing the game at the 60-minute mark, you go into overtime and flip a coin. The person who guesses the toss correctly gets to move some of his pieces first, and the first person who nabs a pawn or a bishop wins the entire game.  

No Caption Provided
    This is a really rough metaphor for what happens in the NFL if a game ends in a tie. The two teams meet again in the middle of the field, take a stab at how a coin will land in the turf, and the team who scores first wins. Most games that go into OT usually end because of a field goal and the victor is usually the team who wins the toss. It's a bummer--but things are changing.

The NFL has recently voted to change their sudden death overtime rule in the 2010-2011 playoffs. And Madden 11 will, of course, observe those changes and allow users to use them in normal games, too.
    == TEASER == 
    "Yep, we do support the new OT rules," Madden 11 creative director Ian Cummings told me via e-mail. "We turned on the new rules by default in Play Now and Online games as well because we felt that type of one-off game is kind of  'always the playoffs'…in that it’s always important, there’s no next week, and there’s no ties.

"The only way to get to the default 2009 (and before) rules is in franchise or online franchise, in the regular season naturally."

This was first confirmed on Spike TV's "EA Sports Kickoff Special," I'm told, but the lack of cable in my house kept me in the dark. You should also know that the observance of the new OT rules isn't the only switch that will be added this year courtesy of NFL owners meetings. As Pastapadre reported eons ago, Madden 11 will support the new umpire positions. Teams liked to use the umpires positioned behind defensive tackles as picks, essentially meat shields, during passing plays. Those umpires during real games, and in Madden 11, will now be behind the offensive side of the ball to prevent this silliness and possible injury.

No Caption Provided
    The new OT rules aren't that big of a change. If a team who wins a coin toss scores a touchdown, the game ends immediately. If it's just a field goal, though, the opposing team will get a chance to try and score in order to tie again or win with a touchdown. It's not a perfect system, but it's certainly better--and the rule is in the upcoming game in a franchise that has always been defined by its realism.     

Will you use the new OT rules in your Play Now and Online games? Have you ever experienced an OT loss because of a great kickoff return and a second down field goal? Tell us what's up in the comments and on the boards!
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By adoggz

really?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

It would be better if they made it more like college rules. :\

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Meowshi

I literally have no fucking idea what any of these things mean.  

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dvorak

I think it's an interesting progression in relation to the real NFL. I'm surprised that they are waiting until the post-season to implement it however.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By dudacles

Most people may not care, but I'm glad that the site is finally giving a small semblance of attention to games like Madden and Backbreaker. The original staff couldn't care less about the genre, but I do (although not about Madden, but rather about FIFA and NBA 2K and such) and it's great that some news, even if it is minor, is mirrored here.

dexterslu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By dexterslu

I'm happy about the rule change, however I feel like it's an incredible cop out to an issue that has plagued the NFL for years and to make matters worse, it's only in the playoffs. It's only a matter of time before players and coaches begin complaining that they should have won the game because they kicked a field goal first.  I think it's inevitable that the league will eventually turn to it's "little brother" the NCAA and lift their O.T. Rules 

The NFL is notoriously slow to act on issues that concern the league, so I won't be shocked if this takes 5 more years to be implemented into the regular season or scrapped entirely, sucks that we didn't get the better rule set first. 

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By kevinski

I'm curious as to how this is news. As an NFL-licensed product, a new game had damn well better get the rules right.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Phished0ne

as a football fan, i've wanted new overtime rules for a long time, but i like the College football overtime method. Also the XFL had a neat overtime method too, like the College Version except it was like a game of "Horse", the 2nd team would have to do it in less downs than the first team.  hahahahah XFL was so bad but so entertaining.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By pbhawks45
    @Meowshi: Then why would you comment?

I'm glad for the new OT rules. Perhaps people will finally stop complaining about the whole damn process. Only 50% of the teams who won the OT coin toss ended up winning in OT. 

It was mainly an excuse that fans used when whining during the offseason.
    thealexray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thealexray

Sports games just keep diving deeper and deeper into that uncanny valley.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DukesT3

Madden news? On GiantBomb!? What the F is going on in this world?!?! Anyways.. it really seems Madden will never reach 2K5 status.. oh well.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pbhawks45
    @Phished0ne: The XFL also had the greatest opening coin toss method, as well.

They put the ball on the ground, and had a player from each team basically wrestle and fight to see who would come up with it. Whoever did "won" the coin toss. Brilliant.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us
    @Meowshi said:
    "I literally have no fucking idea what any of these things mean.   "

Your not alone.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Milkman

Why stop at the playoffs?  Why not use these rules throughout the whole season?

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Lol I find it funny how this was implemented in an EA mobile game and not Madden yet.

http://www.eamobile.com/mobile-games/surviving-high-school-new-rules

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Where are the news stories by the original four? 

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pbhawks45
    @Milkman: Because games are already long enough as is. Network affiliates do not like it when games go past their allotted time, especially when the majority of the games on any given Sunday are between two crappy teams.

College football games last 3 1/2 hours. Wayyyy to long. Now, in important games, like during the playoffs, nobody cares about how long the game lasts. Hence why the NFL instituted this new OT rule.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BradNicholson
    @Milkman: The player's union would probably get testy over it. This year isn't the right year to potentially add extra plays to games.
    monster9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monster9999

....Sports game news....on Giant Bomb....da fuck...?

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By digital_sin

Brad #2 is bringing it with the content! 

Noice!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By MeatSim

This seems like a no brainier decision since it's a NFL licensed game.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dfsvegas

Hold the fuck up... I just read "Brad" and assumed it was Shoemaker. Then I read about two sentences into the article, and I knew something was wrong. When the fuck did Brad Nicholson start writing for GB? 

Color my mind blown.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By gla55jAw

The OT rule so far, has only been voted on for Playoff games. 

Damn though, Sanchez and Rex are lookin good.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By btman

We need more sports game news, specifically NHL game news.

Anyway they should do it like they do in the NCAA....makes mores sense.

ponyslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ponyslayer

Great to see sports news on giantbomb. 

Also as a Green Bay fan this helps none in easing that Arizona playoff loss. 

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By spacetrucking

This feels like Bizzaro Giant Bomb! Nothing against you BradN, you're doing some amazingly tireless work here - especially for a one man news team. But guess what were the last two Madden related stories covered by GB ?   

It looks very odd when there is absolutely no serious NFL or Madden coverage on the site and then suddenly we have a straight faced news article covering a slight rule change inside the sports.

Oh well, the times they are a-changing!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mosespippy

I'm amazed that the NFL still doesn't have OT rules that are as good as the CFL. In the CFL each team gets 2 drives and whoever scores the most on those 2 drives wins. Each team does 1 drive in each direction. 

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By damswedon
    @monster9999 said:
    " ....Sports game news....on Giant Bomb....da fuck...? "
    I'm scared.
    mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By mowgers

Next up in sports! Stuff about... sports!

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By DukeTogo

What is this "football" you speak of?

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By fillmoejoe

Wow this is like 1000% more Madden coverage on giantbomb than the past 2 years put together.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @mosespippy said:
    " I'm amazed that the NFL still doesn't have OT rules that are as good as the CFL. In the CFL each team gets 2 drives and whoever scores the most on those 2 drives wins. Each team does 1 drive in each direction.  "
    The problem with this is that more plays is a MUCH bigger in the NFL than in the CFL (I'm a Canadian, so I do know a thing or 2 about the CFL). Blowing out a knee and being cut and losing out on a 40,000 a year contract is a bit different than losing out on a multi-million dollar contract, so the players association is very resistant to the idea of having to play more plays, and increasing the risk of injury.

Playing more football than currently is a hotly debated topic in the NFL, hence overtime rule changes being so difficult to change. They're also trying to reduce the number of preseason games, and some people speculate that by 2014 the will reduce the preseason by 2 weeks and increase the regular season by 2 weeks ( to an 18 game schedule).

Ideally, they'd just play a 5th quarter, like in the NHL.

I can't believe we're debating the actual rules of football on Giant Bomb, the most anti-sports game on the internet. Or rather, the most non-sports game site, I guess.
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mosespippy
    @JokerSmilez said:
     Blowing out a knee and being cut and losing out on a 40,000 a year contract is a bit different than losing out on a multi-million dollar contract, so the players association is very resistant to the idea of having to play more plays, and increasing the risk of injury.   
    As a rugby player, this only reaffirms my standpoint that football players are pussies. I know guys who've played rugby with broken ribs, concussions, have been knocked out and kept playing. I myself have played with broken ribs and kept playing after breaking my jaw. These football players get paid absurd amounts of money and they are too afraid to put their body on the line for the people who pay them their absurd salaries.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@c1337us said:
    " @Meowshi said:
    "I literally have no fucking idea what any of these things mean.   "
    Your not alone. "
    You guys are not alone.
    conojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By conojo

I really think that our Canadian Football League, as "High School Talent Show"ish it is when compared to the NFL, has the best possible method for determining overtime, wherein the first team gets a shot, I think from the 20 yard line, then the second team goes and whichever team has more points takes it; if it's a tie they just go again. Good to see the NFL is finally overruling their luck-based overtime strategy, but the idea of one team winning the toss then scoring a touchdown to end it without the other side's offense touching turf still seems a bit painful

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By CosmicQueso

Thanks for covering all video gaming GB... it's appreciated!  Those of us who aren't afraid of playing games that feature dudes in tight pants without ammunition and bullets are happy with this.    

BRG9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BRG9000
    @iAmJohn said:
    " It would be better if they made it more like college rules. :\ "
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @mosespippy said:
    " @JokerSmilez said:
     Blowing out a knee and being cut and losing out on a 40,000 a year contract is a bit different than losing out on a multi-million dollar contract, so the players association is very resistant to the idea of having to play more plays, and increasing the risk of injury.   
    As a rugby player, this only reaffirms my standpoint that football players are pussies. I know guys who've played rugby with broken ribs, concussions, have been knocked out and kept playing. I myself have played with broken ribs and kept playing after breaking my jaw. These football players get paid absurd amounts of money and they are too afraid to put their body on the line for the people who pay them their absurd salaries. "
    Well first, studies have shown that despite rugby seeming more dangerous than football because of the lack of pads and equipment, there is a much higher incidence rate of concussions, injuries, etc. The style of game lends itself to more violent contact. Not a knock on rugby, it's actually a compliment because it's a safer sport.

Second, players play hurt all the time. The issue is not with players not wanting to play hurt but with the lack of garunteed contracts in the NFL. In every other sport if you have a career ending injury 2 years into a 5 year deal, you still get paid the whole contract. In football, teams can cut you for whatever reason they want (such as an injury) and you get nothing. So, if you put your body at risk, you're also putting your career and contract at risk too. If you were kid in your 20s and had just signed a 5 year deal worth millions, would you risk losing 80% of it if you didn't have to? Especially when it's 80% of millions of dollars?

Also, professional football has a long history of player's health being a major issue after their careers are done (blown out knees, head injuries, etc). More playing not only risks their playing career and ability to make a living but also their livelihood for the rest of their lives. A lot of guys have wives, kids, families. I can understand their concern.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @conojo said:
    " I really think that our Canadian Football League, as "High School Talent Show"ish it is when compared to the NFL, has the best possible method for determining overtime, wherein the first team gets a shot, I think from the 20 yard line, then the second team goes and whichever team has more points takes it; if it's a tie they just go again. Good to see the NFL is finally overruling their luck-based overtime strategy, but the idea of one team winning the toss then scoring a touchdown to end it without the other side's offense touching turf still seems a bit painful "
    College football in the US has a similar system where teams are placed on I think the 25 yard line and have to score a touchdown and have go for 2 afterward. They repeat this process until they complete a cycle with a team having more points than the other. I don't like it because it's so different than the rest of the game. Like, it changes the rules just to have an outcome. I'd rather they just play another quarter.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Meowshi

@ pbhawks45  

What's wrong with me commenting? 

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with liking Football or understanding it.  I'm just saying that I don't know what any of the rules are. 

Don't be so defensive!
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Actually I really appreciate this story because I like the Madden games but didn't know if they were including this or not.

@Meatsim said:

" This seems like a no brainier decision since it's a NFL licensed game. "

For a long time Madden didn't even let you challenge calls. Sadly you would think it would be a no brainer but they don't have great history.
    coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By coonce

How many people on this site play Madden? Maybe more than I thought.

lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lmenzol

next year madden will change its title to Lockout 2012

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yakov456
    @monster9999 said:
    " ....Sports game news....on Giant Bomb....da fuck...? "
    alternatekev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By alternatekev

I must applaud your use of Philip Rivers there.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By AndrewB

Wow, I actually like that rule.

Totally something that couldn't be implemented in Madden 10. No sir-ee. Guess since my recent trend is to buy a Madden game every 5 years, it'll be awhile before I see this addition.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Yzzerdd

Glorious non-stop news what a great new direction for GB
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By Claude

I'm just now thinking about buying Madden 09 on the Wii no less, so not a big deal for me. As for the actual league, I think they should use it for the whole season not just the playoffs. But the NFL changes course like a big ship, slow as fucking hell.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Afroman269

Awesome oh wait I could care less about sports games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.