Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Madden NFL 11

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 10, 2010

This year's Madden is the 22nd in the annual installment and features the slogan "Simpler, Quicker, Deeper".

Why I won't be buying Madden 11

thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By thwak

Ok I'll just say this right away, IF YOU LIKE MADDEN 10 AND LIKE MADDEN 11 GOOD FOR YOU! I AM NOT YOUR OMNIPOTENT RULER IN REGARDS TO FOOTBALL GAMES! THESE ARE JUST MY PERSONAL OPINIONS!

Phew, now that that's out of the way let's get on the hate train shall we?

Last year I decided to play Madden 10. The last Madden football game I played was Madden 08 on the wii and I thought I'd give Madden 10 on the 360 a try to see how the game fared on a next gen machine and see what they improved in 2 years. Well it turns out that I had more fun playing Madden 08 on the wii than Madden 10 because at least I knew what I was doing in Madden 08.  And atleast in that game it felt like the AI wasn't made out of rubberbands.

When I attempted to play Madden 10, it was in the middle of the 2009 NFL season. I didn't have it long enough to experience everything with in the game, such as the classic mode they revealed and the ultimate team. Both of these modes were released after I turned the game in at gamestop for 30 dollars credit towards Brutal Legend. So if these modes made the game the best football game ever, I wouldn't know. I doubt it, but I honestly can't asses the features. 

What I can asses is the experience I had. Let me start off with the main menu interface, or as I like the call it the labyrinth. The labyrinth is a interface in which you will spend days, WEEKS even, trying to figure out how to start a franchise mode. I honestly don't know why this game has such a confusing menu system. I could

Broadcast Madden
    Broadcast Madden
    easily get into an exhibition game, but other than that I was hopping around trying to figure out how to play and tinker with the other modes. Were the developers ashamed of the fact that you could create a stadium, create your own team, and then play that team in franchise mode? I honestly don't get why I had to fight a Beholder to watch a replay. 

So after I... adapted to the broken menu I tried to play a couple games. I emphasize try because as I previously said the AI in this Madden was still annoying and unforgiving. Now I hear that the AI in Madden NFL 11 is easier this time around, but I just remember feeling like I wasn't in control of the game when I was playing Madden NFL 10. I tried sliding around some of the sliders, and I messed with the Madden IQ (you had to fight Tiamat before you could play around with that feature) but everything still felt unfair. I'd start playing the game, feel like I was accomplishing something , then BOOM the detroit lions would somehow manage to shut me out in a game. 

But the thing that made me decide to turn the game in, the one gripe that I felt was too much, was when I played franchise mode and couldn't edit my starting line up. I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO EDIT MY STARTING PLAYERS BEFORE A GAME! I don't know if I could, or if it was buried somewhere in the franchise mode menu, but this just pissed me off. I'm sorry, this should be a standard feature in any sports game. If you have a season mode, or a franchise mode, you should have the ability to edit your starting players whenever you see fit. Setting up your game with a lot of style is fine, but if I don't know what the hell is going on because of that, and if I can't do any basic functions such as setting up starting players before a game, then you have failed. 

I didn't feel like I was playing Madden 10, I felt like Madden 10 was toying around with me. Watching me as I failed to make sense out of anything that was going on. Forcing me to go into a seething rage that only tough acting tinactin could deal with. I just couldn't deal with it, and that's why I'm not buying Madden 11. I don't see anything in Madden 11 that fixes any of the problems I had with the game. Now I do see improvements, but I doubt they'll truly fix any of the problems I had any time soon. Maybe by Madden 13 they'll get it right, but until then I'll just play outdated football games.
    thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thwak

Ok I'll just say this right away, IF YOU LIKE MADDEN 10 AND LIKE MADDEN 11 GOOD FOR YOU! I AM NOT YOUR OMNIPOTENT RULER IN REGARDS TO FOOTBALL GAMES! THESE ARE JUST MY PERSONAL OPINIONS!

Phew, now that that's out of the way let's get on the hate train shall we?

Last year I decided to play Madden 10. The last Madden football game I played was Madden 08 on the wii and I thought I'd give Madden 10 on the 360 a try to see how the game fared on a next gen machine and see what they improved in 2 years. Well it turns out that I had more fun playing Madden 08 on the wii than Madden 10 because at least I knew what I was doing in Madden 08.  And atleast in that game it felt like the AI wasn't made out of rubberbands.

When I attempted to play Madden 10, it was in the middle of the 2009 NFL season. I didn't have it long enough to experience everything with in the game, such as the classic mode they revealed and the ultimate team. Both of these modes were released after I turned the game in at gamestop for 30 dollars credit towards Brutal Legend. So if these modes made the game the best football game ever, I wouldn't know. I doubt it, but I honestly can't asses the features. 

What I can asses is the experience I had. Let me start off with the main menu interface, or as I like the call it the labyrinth. The labyrinth is a interface in which you will spend days, WEEKS even, trying to figure out how to start a franchise mode. I honestly don't know why this game has such a confusing menu system. I could

Broadcast Madden
    Broadcast Madden
    easily get into an exhibition game, but other than that I was hopping around trying to figure out how to play and tinker with the other modes. Were the developers ashamed of the fact that you could create a stadium, create your own team, and then play that team in franchise mode? I honestly don't get why I had to fight a Beholder to watch a replay. 

So after I... adapted to the broken menu I tried to play a couple games. I emphasize try because as I previously said the AI in this Madden was still annoying and unforgiving. Now I hear that the AI in Madden NFL 11 is easier this time around, but I just remember feeling like I wasn't in control of the game when I was playing Madden NFL 10. I tried sliding around some of the sliders, and I messed with the Madden IQ (you had to fight Tiamat before you could play around with that feature) but everything still felt unfair. I'd start playing the game, feel like I was accomplishing something , then BOOM the detroit lions would somehow manage to shut me out in a game. 

But the thing that made me decide to turn the game in, the one gripe that I felt was too much, was when I played franchise mode and couldn't edit my starting line up. I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO EDIT MY STARTING PLAYERS BEFORE A GAME! I don't know if I could, or if it was buried somewhere in the franchise mode menu, but this just pissed me off. I'm sorry, this should be a standard feature in any sports game. If you have a season mode, or a franchise mode, you should have the ability to edit your starting players whenever you see fit. Setting up your game with a lot of style is fine, but if I don't know what the hell is going on because of that, and if I can't do any basic functions such as setting up starting players before a game, then you have failed. 

I didn't feel like I was playing Madden 10, I felt like Madden 10 was toying around with me. Watching me as I failed to make sense out of anything that was going on. Forcing me to go into a seething rage that only tough acting tinactin could deal with. I just couldn't deal with it, and that's why I'm not buying Madden 11. I don't see anything in Madden 11 that fixes any of the problems I had with the game. Now I do see improvements, but I doubt they'll truly fix any of the problems I had any time soon. Maybe by Madden 13 they'll get it right, but until then I'll just play outdated football games.
    Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Troispoint

Im at a lost of words. Sorry but you being unable to find the franchise mode easily makes your opinion automatically irrelevant.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DukesT3

If you want to edit your starting lineup you need to go into the depth chart menu in your franchise mode. Also, Madden for the 360 and PS3 are still simulation football games and it is extremely difficult to move the ball in the NFL. I understand why you find the AI unforgiving cause thats how the NFL is, unforgiving. You should give 11 a rental if you want cause the new Gameflow really does cater to the more casual crowd on the 360/ps3 versions. Also, just lower the AI down in the Settings part if you feel its too tough for you. So just make it the game you want to be and have fun with it!

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Evilmetal

You know I was wondering, since I don't own a console, is pretty much just a roster update? 

It's like that college textbook that's pretty much identical to the previous year, but you pay full price for it. It's terrible. Slowly they are getting smart, those book companies. Little by little they will try to integrate e-books instead of physical books into the class. They'll use all the buzz words "green, cost saving... etc" ... but it'll just be a license for a semester of reading; if you want longer, more money. It's not PDF either. It's online and if you want you can print a few pages at a time.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Screw you Omnipotent ruler, I want to get Madden. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.