Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Mafia II Demo!

• 165 results
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By MrKlorox

wow. this game needs to be played with physx on. Otherwise it looks amazingly bare during the benchmark.

really digging the simulation controls with a controller. i just hate that you cannot invert just the controller and not the mouse.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Mikewrestler5
    @Milkman: 

I completely agree. And anyone else who has a great taste in video games will as well.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Hourai
    @Mikemcn:  
    Oh, I didn't notice any of that. Whenever I shot a dude I just went for the head. Shotgun is indeed pretty fun, with stuff flying everywhere from your shots. 
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#154  Edited By Deusoma

I wasn't really impressed. Except for the shotgun, none of the guns feel as strong as they should, all the cars handle like boats, and the cops instantly know whenever you injure a pedestrian in any way. Also, while I can appreciate that having head-on collisions injure the driver is much more realistic than most open-world games, it really gets in the way of the gameplay.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#155  Edited By Death_Burnout

This is by far the most fun i have had in an open world demo since the Original Saints Row, which was awesome in my book.

Sad that my PC cant run it though because im a real physics junkie, but the console versions seems to do a good job, better than the difference between the original PC and console version!

So i see some people don't like it, you people are fucking lunatics for bashing the game that head on that early.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#156  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

It feels very similar to the original Mafia. 

The cars handle like they should with 40's and 50's cars, they were big heavy things with no power steering. The shooting feels very smooth and cover system is nice and natural with a good flow to it. I agree with what some people have said that the guns feel underpowered, especially since it only takes a few shots for you to die. This is a good thing since it forces you to use the cover system like you probably would if you really were in a gunfight. Voice acting is spot on despite Nolan North having conversations with himself and I love the bit on the radio about how you'll soon be able to fit a computer in your garage.  

Can't wait for the full game and they Playboy models in the 50's were pretty fucking hot and much better than modern ones.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I just want to mention about the gun play. I don't know, however for the pc version of any open world games, there is no autoaim and it's very accurate. I didn't have a problem with this game or any other similar game because by design the mouse is great for aiming.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Deusoma said:
    " I wasn't really impressed. Except for the shotgun, none of the guns feel as strong as they should, all the cars handle like boats, and the cops instantly know whenever you injure a pedestrian in any way. Also, while I can appreciate that having head-on collisions injure the driver is much more realistic than most open-world games, it really gets in the way of the gameplay. "
    Does nobody look in the options any more? There is a simulation driving mode that's awesome.

And cops don't see when you hit all pedestrians. Only when there is a cop on patrol near you.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I went in with fairly neutral expectations.  Hadn't played the previous games, and haven't been following this ones release at all. 

I really liked the setting, I think a 50's sandbox game is a fun idea and the city looks beautiful.  But I was pretty unimpressed with everything else.  Perhaps you need to be a fan of this sort of thing, but I found the whole Mafia story thing rather boring..  And for some reason you have the ability to open windows, turn on lights, leave water running..  Which all seems utterly pointless.  Yet the world itself is filled with boundaries.  Why are you unable to swim, etc.  I feel more time should have been spent on actual gameplay elements, rather than these little details that they clearly think they were clever by putting in.

I don't think the driving is as bad as some have sad, but it's nothing special.  It definitely doesn't seem it's going to be as fun to mess around with as the likes of GTA or Saint's Row.  The actual combat mechanics were just the typical third person cover shooter.  Dull, dull, dull.  Again, personal opinion here, but this sort of gameplay is grating on me really badly at this point.  The twist being is that it's slightly more realistic, one or two shots take you down, which some may appreciate, but checkpoints are badly placed, forcing you to repeatedly play through certain sections and watching tedious cutscenes.

Overall, 6/10.
    Though I think certain fans will get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#160  Edited By babblinmule

I understand that it was designed to coincide with the times, but christ is the character movement and gunplay awful in that game.... But overall, its not the worst demo ive ever played.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Eaxis

Why is there no water in the swimming pools, oh god why?
    Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Zimbo
    @Eaxis said:
    " Why is there no water in the swimming pools, oh god why? "
    In the fifties nobody could swim or even touch water unless they drove headlong at it in a vehicle. Pools were just a future investment.
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#163  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Cirdain: Well I think the screenshots was from this video, you can see a higher texture quality from the pc version if you pause it. I think if you stand closer, it might be sharper, however here is the video. Just click on it and see it at higher resolutions.  

Just look at the part where he is in front of the mirror: I think I'm going to find a console controller for my PC.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By voodooterror

its alright

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#165  Edited By samfo

the demo is really dissapointing IMO 
    It looks awful and the gunplay feels PRE last gen :(
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By FritzDude

The demo did what a demo is supposed to do: make me stoked and letting me pre-order it.  
    Great demo, great game.
    Isometric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Isometric

Played the PC demo on Steam for about 4 hours in total. I think that is quite a lot of time to spend in a demo. It's bloody tantalising to think what the full game will be like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.