Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Riding Shotgun With Mafia II's Wiseguys

• 55 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    New city, new era.
    New city, new era.
    Open-world crime dramas are everywhere these days, so to stand out in the crowd, 2K Games and its development house in the Czech Republic are focusing Mafia II on an intimate degree of realism. That focus extends from the authenticity of the dialogue and behavior of the wiseguys who star in the story, to the intricate layouts of the interior locations you'll enter from the game's larger, urban open world. Based on a brief hands-off demo I saw, 2K Czech isn't reinventing the wheel with Mafia II's third-person action, but if the game world is realized well enough and the story is suitably engaging, a little by-the-numbers shooting won't be a big issue.

Given the events at the end of the first Mafia, it may not surprise you that Mafia II starts fresh with a new setting and new characters. It's 1944 in the teeming metropolis of Empire Bay, and you're Vito Scaletta, working your way through the ranks of the city's organized crime with your buddy, tough-talking Joe Barbaro. I was impressed at the easy, believable nature of the back-and-forth banter between Vito, Joe, and their other mafia cohorts; the Italian accents and tough-talking jargon sounded really appropriate for the setting, at least to someone who's watched a lot of Goodfellas and The Sopranos.

The mission 2K was showing off, "Room Service," showed Vito and Joe making a complicated attempt to infiltrate a highrise dressed as window washers, plant a bomb in a boardroom where some rival family members were having a meeting, and then blow them to smithereens before making a getaway. This required a lengthy process of nonchalantly rigging up the explosives, heading up to the roof to knock off the guards, then sliding down the side of the building to blow the bomb. Of course, something had to go wrong--in this case, the main target of the bomb happened to be in the bathroom when the explosion went off--and this led to a shoot-out down the many floors of the building and into the parking garage, where Vito and Joe found that their young friend and getaway driver had been unceremoniously executed by the escaping mob boss and his thugs. That led to some posturing about revenge, then a breakneck car chase and shootout through the city streets, where the demo cut off.

The environments get busted up nicely.
    The entirety of this mission took place without stopping to load new areas, and this is one of the selling points 2K is pushing hardest. Most open-world games show you a huge urban environment full of big, empty buildings you can't enter or explore. 2K is claiming Mafia II will one-up all those games with a larger number of more elaborate interior locations you can access from street level. The single building in this demo did look pretty impressive. It was full of businesspeople and chatty bar patrons in the early, nonviolent phase of the mission, and that bar and other locations got shot up and damaged nicely during the firefight that followed the bungled bomb detonation. The shooting in here looks like standard cover-based third-person stuff, but that can be satisfying enough with the right amount of bullets whizzing around and level geometry blowing up around you.

The story of Mafia II is set over a decade-long period, and the game's designers are conscious of the changes in cars, fashion, and architecture that took place in the years after World War II. You'll see those changes reflected in your surroundings and characters as time passes, and Vito climbs up through the ranks of the mob underworld. Or maybe something will go horribly awry and you'll end up fighting for your survival against the very people you once called family. Who can say? The point is, Mafia II will live or die by the quality of the story and the mafia experience it conveys, and so far, the game looks like it's doing justice to the "world" part of the open-world genre.

After the demo, we had a chance to sit down and chat with the game's producer, Denby Grace. Check out his thoughts and a bunch of gameplay footage in this video.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    New city, new era.
    New city, new era.
    Open-world crime dramas are everywhere these days, so to stand out in the crowd, 2K Games and its development house in the Czech Republic are focusing Mafia II on an intimate degree of realism. That focus extends from the authenticity of the dialogue and behavior of the wiseguys who star in the story, to the intricate layouts of the interior locations you'll enter from the game's larger, urban open world. Based on a brief hands-off demo I saw, 2K Czech isn't reinventing the wheel with Mafia II's third-person action, but if the game world is realized well enough and the story is suitably engaging, a little by-the-numbers shooting won't be a big issue.

Given the events at the end of the first Mafia, it may not surprise you that Mafia II starts fresh with a new setting and new characters. It's 1944 in the teeming metropolis of Empire Bay, and you're Vito Scaletta, working your way through the ranks of the city's organized crime with your buddy, tough-talking Joe Barbaro. I was impressed at the easy, believable nature of the back-and-forth banter between Vito, Joe, and their other mafia cohorts; the Italian accents and tough-talking jargon sounded really appropriate for the setting, at least to someone who's watched a lot of Goodfellas and The Sopranos.

The mission 2K was showing off, "Room Service," showed Vito and Joe making a complicated attempt to infiltrate a highrise dressed as window washers, plant a bomb in a boardroom where some rival family members were having a meeting, and then blow them to smithereens before making a getaway. This required a lengthy process of nonchalantly rigging up the explosives, heading up to the roof to knock off the guards, then sliding down the side of the building to blow the bomb. Of course, something had to go wrong--in this case, the main target of the bomb happened to be in the bathroom when the explosion went off--and this led to a shoot-out down the many floors of the building and into the parking garage, where Vito and Joe found that their young friend and getaway driver had been unceremoniously executed by the escaping mob boss and his thugs. That led to some posturing about revenge, then a breakneck car chase and shootout through the city streets, where the demo cut off.

The entirety of this mission took place without stopping to load new areas, and this is one of the selling points 2K is pushing hardest. Most open-world games show you a huge urban environment full of big, empty buildings you can't enter or explore. 2K is claiming Mafia II will one-up all those games with a larger number of more elaborate interior locations you can access from street level. The single building in this demo did look pretty impressive. It was full of businesspeople and chatty bar patrons in the early, nonviolent phase of the mission, and that bar and other locations got shot up and damaged nicely during the firefight that followed the bungled bomb detonation. The shooting in here looks like standard cover-based third-person stuff, but that can be satisfying enough with the right amount of bullets whizzing around and level geometry blowing up around you.

The story of Mafia II is set over a decade-long period, and the game's designers are conscious of the changes in cars, fashion, and architecture that took place in the years after World War II. You'll see those changes reflected in your surroundings and characters as time passes, and Vito climbs up through the ranks of the mob underworld. Or maybe something will go horribly awry and you'll end up fighting for your survival against the very people you once called family. Who can say? The point is, Mafia II will live or die by the quality of the story and the mafia experience it conveys, and so far, the game looks like it's doing justice to the "world" part of the open-world genre.

After the demo, we had a chance to sit down and chat with the game's producer, Denby Grace. Check out his thoughts and a bunch of gameplay footage in this video.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

This will be better than Godfather 2 by miles!

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Gump

The city is now known as Empire Bay, instead of Empire City. I've always wanted to chance the name of that page.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Cynical_M

Looking good,although when he was shooting that guy there was no blood or reaction from him,besides his death.....Kinda odd.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brad

@Gump

Thanks for the catch, I fixed that in the story and also renamed the wiki page.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60
    Cynical_M said:
    "Looking good,although when he was shooting that guy there was no blood or reaction from him,besides his death.....Kinda odd."
    What do you expect, Gears of War type violence?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Scooper

I like this 1940's style New York. It looks fun to explore.

geekdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By geekdown

This game is looking great, it's like The Godfather but without the stuff that sucked in it.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ElectricHaggis

It's looking great so far.  Unlike Jeff, I'm happy to see some more mafia/mobster based games.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By poser

The the combat/in-game animations look really poor... otherwise the game looks great.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Artie

This game looks pretty neat, I only played the Ps2 port of Mafia which apparently was terrible. I didn't really like what I played though, this one seems to be a lot better.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

The city looks amazing almost on par with GTAIV(not sure if we'll ever see that again).  The driving and fighting and general gameplay all look leaps and bounds better than the first game which I personally couldn't get into.  The only thing that bothers me is the way cars are destroyed, developers(besides RockStar) are still having the cars catch fire and then explode rather than just becoming usless.  I loved the way cars were wrecked and messed up in GTAIV, theyed stall sometimes start again.  I understand they should still explode and like in GTAIV they could, but it should take a lot more than two or three clips to do it.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By musdy

CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

This game looks great. Any developer that says they are aiming for a style akin to Goodfellas has my full-on support.

Dion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dion

Oh god the death animations...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have faith in this.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool, but the enemies seem to take a weirdly large amount of shots to be taken down.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AllanIceman

Looks good,  hope the story can deliver.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Looks cool. Looking forward to it.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ToxicFruit

i loved the first one. hope that this one will be awesome

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By tmthomsen

Great scenery and atmosphere, but the shooting seems kinda.. off?

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Scratch

I loved the first game. Played atleast 5 times. I know the obvious comparison when this game comes out will be first to Godfather 2 and then GTAIV. Well, in my opinion Godfather 2 is honestly no match, but GTAIV is way up there and Mafia 2 just cannot top that.

Also, I did't know the city was renamed to Empire Bay. Is it absolutely confirmed?

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By killroycantkill

I was a big fan of the first Mafia game on the PS2 and I'm glad they are actually getting the time period vibe right. The 40's is  a really cool time to be playing in a game.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Lack of bullet trails makes it weird.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Media_Master

So much potential!

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By slinky6

Framerate looks like garbage.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    slinky6 said:
    "Framerate looks like garbage."
    Not really..
    creepee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By creepee

Nice first look.

This looks great. It actually reminds me of the first Mafia. That was also released close to Godfather (little earlier) but was way better. I loved it. For the story, the setting, and the characters.

Pretty objectively written. How did you like it, Brad?

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Serker

None of his shots seemed to connect, but i guess thats what ud expect from a tommy gun. Looks great so far i think.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Claude

The game does seem to need some more polish. Someone mentioned above about no blood and the framerate drops. I liked the first Mafia and thought about playing it again on my PC, so my fingers are crossed for a good one.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ben_H

The first Mafia is one of my favourite games of all time.  I still play Free Ride once in a while.  It still looks good too.  I hope this one is just as good. 

Oh, I played the console port of the first one.  It sucked.  Play the PC version.  It's like 5 bucks and runs great on a crappy machine.  Just make sure you patch it so you can actually beat that race that's impossible otherwise.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I just hope they get rid of the death animations as such...

Whatever, still some time for the game to come out - just needs some polish.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By lordofultima

Wow this looks pretty amazing.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By kraznor

The first one was pretty great, especially due to its unconventional ending. This looks promising, but I hope it has the story to match.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Afroman269

Looks better than that shit godfather 2

berva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38  Edited By berva

I'm excited, especially after the pretty bad Godfather 2 game.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daniel

Mafia remains one of my favorite games of all time. Really can't wait for this one.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By teh_destroyer

Mafia was an awesome game and I loved the story.I want the 360 version of this.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By InFamous91

LOOK AWESOME

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By masternater27

Anybody else feel like the time period is kind of wasted?  It doesn't look that far off from being in modern New York.  Maybe I just don't know what '40s NY looked like, but other than the fedoras and cars it feels like this could easily be set in 1990's NY also.

chamin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chamin1

I hated the godfather 2 game, the first one was ok though. This will be better than both the god father games put together on a thin mint.

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Duckbutter

i hate video games

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gregomasta

Still looks like the Chicago, the L is a big icon of Chicago.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nifty_Shark

If it can be as good as the first I will be extremely happy. And there better not be any issues with the console version this time.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive

looks better than GTA4 to me.

i am definitely interested in this game. 
    Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Johanz

Mafia 1 was really awesome.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#49  Edited By ahoodedfigure

...  Hey, I wouldn't mind a detailed sandbox game that DIDN'T have gangsters in it.  Maybe in a decade or so?

Brainkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Brainkiller

Looks really good graphically.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.