Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia III

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

The third game in the open world crime series. Mafia III follows Vietnam veteran, mixed-race Lincoln Clay in 1960s New Bordeaux, when racism is blooming, as he aspires for revenge against those who have harmed his family.

Anyone try this game on Xbox One X?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I have found it hard to want to finish any of the Mafia games. I got the first Mafia on the original Xbox, but by the time I played it, it felt too archaic that I just couldn't muster the motivation to keep going (I read that that wasn't actually that good of a version though compared to its PC counterpart). When Mafia 2 came out, I was very interested. I played the demo multiple times, but considering I didn't have a job then I couldn't get it.

I think it was in 2014 that I ended up buying, but the game ended up being too repetitive to me after a while, so I gave up. Mafia 3 I got on PS4 late. I wasn't a huge fan of what I played of Mafia 2 at the time, and a lot of people weren't saying too hot of things about three, but I got it because it was a buy two get one free game at Target. Not to mention any of its good qualities as I just want to get to the point, the game became way too repetitive and some of the side missions glitched which is the main reason why it put me off.

That said, I have returned to Mafia 2 to get through it, and now I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. Aside from its low resolution, the game still looks pretty good too on my 4K screen on the X. I've been asking this question for a while with other games, but if it comes cheap at some point, is Mafia 3 worth giving another shot? I think it is, but I really just want to play it on the X now as opposed to reinstalling the game on the PS4. I understand that it comes off as a totally silly question considering I say I didn't much enjoy it the first time around, and I already have it, but part of me wants to give it another chance as I am with two.

I'm just wondering how much improved the X version is. I can watch videos of course, as I already have, but I can't really know until I get my hands on it or hear what others have to say about it. In Mafia 2 what I didn't really enjoy was all the 'monotonous' driving around, but this time I'm not minding it so much. If I go back to three, I think I could get over the repetitiveness and simply look at what the game does right, but again, I'm not really into the idea of just going back to it on the PS4. All the Mafia games are games I feel like I should get through regardless.

Call me shallow, but every little detail that is improved visually does help me appreciate a game's world and immerse me into it, which is the reason I might want to get the X version (PC, as usual, is not an option here, otherwise I wouldn't have asked). I should also mention that I do eventually plan on getting a PS4 Pro, and I'm not sure how much different the Pro and X version are.

Edit - I just realized that I only put about five hours into Mafia 2 (or so the game time says). I'm surprised about that. I just got past where I stopped originally. Although five hours is more than enough time to know whether one likes a game or not, I still feel like I didn't give it much chance.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NTM

I just finished two. Hmm, much shorter than I thought. I finished it at 9:23:34. Anyways, that end was very inconclusive. I have run into Vito in the third game, but I don't remember him mentioning his friend from two; does that ever come about?

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MattGiersoni

@ntm Joe or whatever his name was, is mentioned by Vito several times, once in a longer scene focused on it for sure from what I remember but I might be wrong, it's been a year since I played it. That also might depend on how much stuff are you gonna do with Vito and how much of the content around him will you experience.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

@mattgiersoni: Yeah, it was Joe. And thanks. Cool, it wouldn't make a lot of sense if he hadn't. Also, I bought it again... But hey, I'm enjoying it right now (although I haven't reached the point at which I stopped playing on the PS4). The game, however, is just a lot more fun than I remember in terms of combat/stealth. It's also really good looking on the X. It kind of looked awkward at first as the contrast or brightness seemed off where the light didn't seem right (as if it was smoky or washed out or something), but I got used to it and nights especially look terrific. The story is also doing more for me than I remember. I ended up buying it because it just adds to the list of games I can give to my brother once I get a PS4 Pro (I'll be giving him my base console).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.