Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia III

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

The third game in the open world crime series. Mafia III follows Vietnam veteran, mixed-race Lincoln Clay in 1960s New Bordeaux, when racism is blooming, as he aspires for revenge against those who have harmed his family.

[insert a bad joke about an offer you can't refuse] aka Mafia 3 is almost out.

• 111 results
    Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I usually choose to go with 4k which means 30 for me anyway but it's still a crappy thing as it's indicative of a poor PC port in general. The footage I've seen certainly looked better than the console footage (especially the rain fx) but that still doesn't mean it's an acceptable port.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It sounds kind of hit and miss. Every Territory being a mob-ground With their own drugs sounds stiff and silly and the animations and faces aren't that good - but it does seem to do something interesting With the sandbox as a genre and that makes it interesting. Also the focus on racsism and such gives an interesting sound to the story, and I'm quite intrigued. I'll wait for the reviews I Guess, but it's really interesting.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@atastyslurpee said:

Are there seriously people who are not going to play this game because its locked at 30 FPS? Such a petty thing to completely avoid a game for... its not that big of a deal...

Right? It's not a twitchy game where you'd need the precision 60fps brings, who gives a fuuuuuuuuuuuck?

Because higher framerate only benefits "twichy games". Come on, dude. Don't be that petty.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By ATastySlurpee

@huelarl said:
    @planetfunksquad said:
    @atastyslurpee said:

Are there seriously people who are not going to play this game because its locked at 30 FPS? Such a petty thing to completely avoid a game for... its not that big of a deal...

Right? It's not a twitchy game where you'd need the precision 60fps brings, who gives a fuuuuuuuuuuuck?

As baffling as it is to you guys that anyone would care about framerate that much, I, and many others, can't understand how someone could enjoy any game at a framerate as low as 30. And that's fine! It's great that you don't mind, I'm seriously envious. But I'm not being petty when I can't bring myself to enjoy an experience that feels sluggish and stuttery to me... I just can't. I see no reason to dismiss that.

I understand that you would want to take advantage of your hardware, but it just seems like you guys are acting like the/a game is literally unplayable at 30 FPS, which it isn't. I'm not a PC gamer, so I take what I can. Would I prefer it at a smooth 60 FPS all the time? Absolutely, but I'm not going to 'dismiss' a game simply because of that. If it runs well enough at 30, then I don't see it as a big deal. PC purist often get so shitty over of stuff like this. What if a game runs at a constant 60 FPS but is a dogshit of game? Does that make it any better than a game that is locked at 30 FPS(and runs fine, not all games that run at 30 are sluggish and stuttery) and is a good game?

And I mean this with the utmost sincerity, Does 60 FPS really make THAT much more of difference than 30 to your experience? Like I know it make a difference, but is it that substantial, especially in a 3rd person action game? In fighters and actual FPS, I can see it, but not in this type of game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@planetfunksquad said:
    @atastyslurpee said:

Because higher framerate only benefits "twichy games". Come on, dude. Don't be that petty.

I don't know man, people saying "oh man 30 FPS aww now I can't play it!" seems a little petty. Like others have said, I too get it, 60 FPS is awesome when you can get it. I also get that when you spend all that money on a 1080 or similarly priced card it can sting to see a game that limits you to 30 FPS despite your specs being able to achieve much better performance. All that said - people downright refusing to play it at anything but 60 FPS are exaggerating just a tad.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Mirado

While there might be a subset that absolutely refuse to play a game at anything below 60 FPS, I think the real reason for the outrage is the fact that it's obvious this was a rushed port from a series that traditionally had the PC as a lead platform. When you put a game on PC, there's just a certain amount of boxes you need to tick in order to be at parity with your competitors, and that includes things like not capping your game at 30 FPS. Plus, that's not the only offender; the UI scaling is all levels of fucked, with 4k making the UI more or less unreadable (and also turning your character into a weird metal man whenever he steps in a doorway), and outside of the main character models, it really doesn't look that much better than the previous Mafia game that came out in 2010. (Even if you assume that person cherry picked the best Mafia 2 shots and the worst Mafia 3 shots, or even if the Mafia 2 screens are using mods, that's still not a great position to be in for a game that's out six years later).

So while you might be unreasonable for shouting that you absolutely will not consider the other merits a game might have unless it runs at 60+ FPS, it's really just indicative of a deeper problem which I consider to be valid and should not be dismissed out of hand. This isn't a great launch for the PC version of this game, and people aren't crazy for pointing that out.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#107  Edited By Zurv

i refuse to play anything that isn't running at 60. :D

It is crazy. It feels sluggish and just because this recent gen couldn't handle most game play at 1080p we are feed junk that 30 is acceptable.

yes, some game don't need 60, but a game like his does. Shooting, driving, (moving in a 3d world) at 50% less than what the eye can see is very disjointing.

All this said, hopefully the game is good and at some point the PC gets up to 60. I'll pick it up then. But like Mirado points out, i too fear the deeper problems :)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By Justin258

I'll wait until it actually releases to see what's going on with the PC port. Still, what interest was drummed up for me in the livestream was knocked down by the idea that the PC versiom might be a garbage port. I know some people think this is silly, but I love seeing games run silky-smooth. Something is always taken away when a game runs like... well, like a modern console game.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By soulcake

Man is it just me or are they up-scaling a native 720p image cause the game looks weird ?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By OurSin_360

@atastyslurpee: it makes a huge difference for me and most people who are accustomed to smooth framerate. A modern action game gimped on pc, the most powerful platform is mind boggling to me. The last open world AAA game that did that was arkham knight, hopefully this one atleast wont be as broken. To me 50-60fps is a must, i would rather play on lower settings than lower framerate. Framerate is a hard thing to explain to people used to low fps. I used to could play ps1 games at like 15fps lol.

Edit: i can play some games with lower framerate, like strategy games and other non action stuff. And honestly i can play this at 30fps, but it would need to be dirt cheap.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patch, including "60 FPS Limit" and "Unlimited FPS" options, is likely hitting this week-end according to the developer. So for all you folks terrified about not being able to play this game due to your weird ass FPS fetishes, fear not! Salvation is at hand. Or at arm's length, you know, in a few days.

In the meanwhile, the steam community is going absolutely nuts. The game is currently sitting on 44 % with 800 reviews. I looked through them as well as I could and didn't see a single negative score that wasn't almost exclusively about the 30 FPS limiter. So take that with a grain of salt?

For what it's worth, I've been playing for a little now, and boy, this is some fine-ass video-gaming in my humble opinion.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: It's almost as though they could have saved themselves all this trouble by just delaying the PC release by a day or two or something.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@do_the_manta_ray: The thread in the steam forums pertaining to the 60 fps patch is a fucking shit-show as well. Just people bitching that the patch isn't coming fast enough or that it should have had 60 at launch. The devs are fixing it and they're still not happy. The amount of entitlement and flat-out stupidity on display is mind-blowing. Sometimes the consumer is always right and sometimes they're a bunch of raging toddlers undeserving of the hard work developers put into the games they're playing. Bleh. End of rant.

Anyways, if the 60 fps patch happens this weekend I'm going to be tempted to pick this up. Watching the quick look sold me on it. The 30fps lock isn't the end of the world for me, but I do like games running at a framerate closer to 60.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By probablytuna

To those who have gotten their hands on the game, how is it so far?

I just started and I'm already liking the way Lincoln moves/controls. The game overall is a bit.... jittery? Animations feel like they skip a few frames or something now and then and there's a lot of flickering (probably due to the lack of anti-aliasing) in the open world but not game-breaking. Also for some reason some text on the top of the screen is cut off on my monitor and there are no display options to fix it. I haven't finished the day one patch though so that might fix some problems. Overall, it's so far so good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.