Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia III

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

The third game in the open world crime series. Mafia III follows Vietnam veteran, mixed-race Lincoln Clay in 1960s New Bordeaux, when racism is blooming, as he aspires for revenge against those who have harmed his family.

Mafia III Impressions.

• 181 results
    The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This game's got a look. The style is on point so in the first hour.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I hear it also has a lock. A 30 frames per second lock on PC. Doesn't exactly please the people on steam.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I hear it also has a lock. A 30 frames per second lock on PC. Doesn't exactly please the people on steam.

Its also got an update coming to remedy this lock.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfriend: Eh. Devs already aiming for a weekend fix. It still looks damn good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to hold off for now. Aside from the 30 fps lock there seem to be other problems as well (game locking up, audio problems). The devs are promising an early patch so I'm going to see how that shakes out.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spent a couple hours with it. The PS4 version seems to be fine technically so far. Seems to be running at around 30 and looks pretty good (though some of the lighting effects are a little too intense I find). It plays pretty well, nothing spectacular for an open world shooter but totally competent. Gun handling seems good and the levels of auto targeting are nice to choose from. A good oomph to a lot of the guns as well. The animations also look pretty decent and chain together well, stuff like Lincoln actually changing hands when switching which side you are aiming on with a pistol. Driving feels good too, a little exaggerated though I found the realistic driving mode less so but still a lot of fun. The camera work when driving is good too.

Nothing about it has stood out as amazing to me yet but it seems to have potential to be a pretty good game, everything I've played of it so far has been fun.

Also having dudes not fully die and just lay there moaning or begging you to put them out of their misery is super dark.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella: After a few hours my thoughts are generally in line with yours. The lighting does seem to fluctuate dramatically, but otherwise this game looks really pretty. The aesthetic has me too, the menu looks really slick. The gunplay is fine, ammo has a nice scarcity that is making me switch guns and move around spaces. The dialogue between the characters has been smartly written and the facial expressions are really well done. Animations in general seem to be really solid and don't contrast with the rest of the presentation. Other than some framing device issues, this game has made an impression on me.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The good news is it runs completely fine on PC other than the 30 fps thing, it's running entirely as expected. There is a lack of options, particularly not being able to turn AA off (because you don't need it at 1440 and up) and only being able to set it to 'low'. No option to turn off the rear view mirror either which is just a bother. But the real problem on the high end of things?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Your resolution scaling is bad and you should feel bad! What is this a UI for ants?!?!

Nowhere near as bad in 1440 though, still bad but it's dealable with at least...

No Caption Provided

Direct links in case they don't show up in their full 4k/1440 glory on here.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8746/30166557955_cdc108a5ba_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5043/30166557225_7bee5018d2_o.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8140/30052232682_05ac422cac_o.jpg

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfriend said:

I don't understand why it's there to begin with. You'd think devs would know what PC folks expect at this point.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OceanEve

I was walking down the street and a cop poked his head out of his car window and said (I'm paraphrasing) "hey there chocolate pudding, maybe later you could give me a taste" O.o....I'm not joking....

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone played the game on X1? I have both consoles but I vastly prefer the X1 elite controller but I'm a bit worried about that version because they have not showed it at all.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: yep, it was a weird mix of racism and sexual harassment O.o it was bizarre because I just figured he would have said something racist....

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@penderton: whoa that seems like a pretty major oversight. Seems like something that could get patched but it's also a little funny to look at.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By rethla

Issues on PC and an upcomming "fix it all" patch. Where have i herd that one before?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Playing on PS4 and currently liking it a whole lot. The gameplay is solid, the driving is not as enjoyable as GTAV but I could see myself getting used to the way the handling feels. I'm just worried about how much there is to do in the game as the map is surprisingly small and so far I haven't unlocked any side activities to do.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick said:
    @superfriend said:

I don't understand why it's there to begin with. You'd think devs would know what PC folks expect at this point.

I think I would at this point expect PC folks to be loud and shitty about something no matter what so I'd be laid back about it too.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm just kinda curious as to what is left to do after the main missions are over anyone has an idea?

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By aktivity

Man the PC port is a bummer. All the textures look super blurry. Is this a known issue, or a problem on my end?

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent 3 hours with the Xbox One version with the game at the time of this post. I think the voice acting within the cutscenes and between major characters are great. Most of the random NPC chatter, not so much. The way the aiming system handles doesn't feel great but thankfully setting auto-aim to high helps overcome the slow aim acceleration with the default value. Open world jank is present and accounted for. Great game so far.

Ghnvt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: I would bet this is so they can hone in on performance at this frame rate for bug fixes. Then release a patch after cert that allows for multiple frame rates.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of want to get this game since it looks good, but I did not like Mafia II so I am unsure about this one. Is there anything to do outside of the story missions? If so, what sort of things are there? If not, how long is the story?

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's definitely some sort of blur/filter thing going on with this game. No setting option seems to let me turn it off.

No Caption Provided

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC people also complain that 30fps gives them a migraine, I don't know whats happening in the world anymore.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By RonGalaxy

I hope the weather doesn't delay my copy getting shipped from gamefly. Also hope my house doesn't get blown away, but this is more important.

Also, the facial animations in the game are stunning. I remember mafia 2 being horrible in this regard, even when it released.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I hope the UI is patched.

It's really easy to rob stores. There's some that only had one person in them.

I posted it in the PC screen thread already but that opening message wasn't messing around...

No Caption Provided

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the PC version up to the same point as Alex did yesterday. Enjoying it so far, I really like the feel of the combat, the guns really have some weight to them. The movement is a little funky and It reminds me of launch Witcher 3, I don't mind it that much but it might drive some people crazy. The game looks real nice and runs great on my PC. I did have some weird graphical glitch With Lincoln's car where it kept switching from nice and shiny to matte black, and It did crash to desktop once trying to load a mission. Need to play more but so far I like it, And boy does it have Styleeeeeeeee.

One last thing, I have seen a couple of people ask about the rear view mirror being on all times. It seems the game makes use of it during police chases. When one of the chasing cars crashes you get a zoomed in slow motion view of said crash in the mirror which is kind of neat/useful.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969

From the quick look, Lincoln Clay protagonist, Sammy Robinson (Foster Dad) and Ellis Robinson (Foster Brother) look really well animated. And their interaction/dialogue during the GB Quicklook was really well done for a 'game story'. I think that QL impressed me a lot more than I thought it would...it might have even set the bar a bit high for the rest of the game. I have to say Sammy Robinson was may favorit.

No Caption Provided

Did anyone notice that Ellis Robinson looks like Harry Belafonte? No really he does...like uncanny.

No Caption Provided

And, Sammy teh Father does look an awful lot like a middle aged Julian Bond. That is likely a bit more coincidental, but if Ellis is Belafonte I am betting Sammy looks are based on some 1960s figure too.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Torn between PC version and PS4/Xbox.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has a somewhat old PC now, I am hesitant to try this game out. Anyone that doesn't have a beast PC and is playing Mafia 3 may be kind enough to chime in on their experience?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving the game so far.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving the game so far.

Does the game have lock on or assisted aiming?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@barrock: from watching the GB play through you can choose from none, mild and full assist

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: from watching the GB play through you can choose from none, mild and full assist

Awesome, that means I can play it even with my vision issues. Just need to know the same thing with Gears.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: I have tried all the different levels of assists and I vastly prefer it off. I'm playing on PS4.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pompouspizza

@mister_v: I did not like the movement at all when I first started playing but after about half an hour it clicked with me and now I really like it, Lincoln has such a great weight to him, I love the way he slams into cover. I can see some people hating the movement though.

jerkchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jerkchicken

Lengthy install time on PS4. Launch day patch of 2.7GB. Then another wait after launching the game for install—about 10-15 minutes. I guess this is the world we live in now.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By DystopiaX

@ghost_cat said:

As someone who has a somewhat old PC now, I am hesitant to try this game out. Anyone that doesn't have a beast PC and is playing Mafia 3 may be kind enough to chime in on their experience?

Depends on your definition of "beast". I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2400 and a 760TI and I could run on medium/high fine. Don't notice frame rate that much and ofc it's locked at 30, but only hitched like twice, really briefly, when driving quickly. Otherwise was fine. There's definitely a blur effect going on but I don't think the game looks bad, it looks pretty nice to me actually. Though as I said I really don't care about framerate as long as it's above like 20 and isn't hitchy lol

The story/writing is really the highlight of the game so far. Love the documentary setup, and everything from the characters to the dialogue to the bios written about the characters are really well done. Performances have all been great so far as well. I also really like the collectibles, yeah you get your boobs from the playboys and pinups but there are also articles written in the magazines- I got a couple playboy articles as well as a Hot Rod magazine- that I assume are from the actual issues of the magazines. It's really cool to have collectibles with something to them in a game, instead of just getting pickups that do nothing or just unlock a picture or something.

The gameplay is really fun. You can choose to go stealthy in pretty much all scenarios if you want, which is generally how I play if I get the option. Have low aim assist on and the shooting feels good for an open world game. Better than GTAV as a comparison. Might bump the difficulty up from medium to hard because it's actually been really easy for me so far as a stealthy guy, the whistle is way too good lol. Though maybe it's more cause they didn't really tune the game for full stealth. My biggest concern so far is that the missions don't seem that fun- the prologue is really tight and awesome, but I'm in the middle of taking down the 2nd operation of the first gang and it's mostly generic so far- roll up to one place, stealth takedown/kill everyone and take all the money/bust up the racket, then kill the pimps/pushers, then get to the final guy and kill him/bring him over to your side. There's no really unique mission objectives or designs, you just roll up to a building and kill everyone. Still early so that might change, and I hope it does. It might be a thing where you get tailored missions after you take down the rackets, or it might seem less monotonous if you have multiple gangs/territories to go after at once.

One other thing that's not a huge issue but has been bugging me is that for some reason, you have to pick between lethal and non-lethal takedowns in the options menu. Don't know why it wasn't on the d-pad or a tap vs hold thing, early on there were certain scenarios where I wanted to kill some people but not others and having to pull up the menu, slide to options, go to game, switch from non lethal to lethal or vice versa, and then back out is really cumbersome.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Kingpk

Played up to where Alex left off and yeah, this is a STRONG opening. If the story stays at this quality I really won't care much if there isn't a lot of side stuff to do.

I really like sneaking around and taking dudes out instead of just shooting it out too.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By NeverGameOver

This sounds weird to say about an open world game but the story in this game is fucking incredible. Also, probably the best licensed soundtrack I've ever heard. Jefferson Airplane!

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat said:

Depends on your definition of "beast". I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2400 and a 760TI and I could run on medium/high fine. Don't notice frame rate that much and ofc it's locked at 30, but only hitched like twice, really briefly, when driving quickly. Otherwise was fine. There's definitely a blur effect going on but I don't think the game looks bad, it looks pretty nice to me actually. Though as I said I really don't care about framerate as long as it's above like 20 and isn't hitchy lol

The story/writing is really the highlight of the game so far. Love the documentary setup, and everything from the characters to the dialogue to the bios written about the characters are really well done. Performances have all been great so far as well. I also really like the collectibles, yeah you get your boobs from the playboys and pinups but there are also articles written in the magazines- I got a couple playboy articles as well as a Hot Rod magazine- that I assume are from the actual issues of the magazines. It's really cool to have collectibles with something to them in a game, instead of just getting pickups that do nothing or just unlock a picture or something.

The gameplay is really fun. You can choose to go stealthy in pretty much all scenarios if you want, which is generally how I play if I get the option. Have low aim assist on and the shooting feels good for an open world game. Better than GTAV as a comparison. Might bump the difficulty up from medium to hard because it's actually been really easy for me so far as a stealthy guy, the whistle is way too good lol. Though maybe it's more cause they didn't really tune the game for full stealth. My biggest concern so far is that the missions don't seem that fun- the prologue is really tight and awesome, but I'm in the middle of taking down the 2nd operation of the first gang and it's mostly generic so far- roll up to one place, stealth takedown/kill everyone and take all the money/bust up the racket, then kill the pimps/pushers, then get to the final guy and kill him/bring him over to your side. There's no really unique mission objectives or designs, you just roll up to a building and kill everyone. Still early so that might change, and I hope it does. It might be a thing where you get tailored missions after you take down the rackets, or it might seem less monotonous if you have multiple gangs/territories to go after at once.

One other thing that's not a huge issue but has been bugging me is that for some reason, you have to pick between lethal and non-lethal takedowns in the options menu. Don't know why it wasn't on the d-pad or a tap vs hold thing, early on there were certain scenarios where I wanted to kill some people but not others and having to pull up the menu, slide to options, go to game, switch from non lethal to lethal or vice versa, and then back out is really cumbersome.

Well that makes me more confident. I have a sandy bridge i7, 8gh ram, and a 670gtx, so I was concern about this game being practically unplayable. I won't mind the 30 fps.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to hearing if the PC version cleans up. The lighting on console looks pretty awful in spots and the draw distance was terrible from what I saw in the GBEast stream. Not sure if that was them just trying to go for atmospheric effects or something. Other than that the writing and storytelling stuff seems strong, gameplay looks fun if a bit ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

So I'm a little over 2 hours in (on PS4) and I have to say this game is really impressing the hell out of me. Great facial animation and voice acting; the story seems really well written so far, but it's super early to tell if they stick the landing. It looks and runs great-I have seen some weird lighting like others, but nothing for more than a few seconds and it only happened twice.

So far I really like the feel of the guns. The different guns all have a good variation of feel to them. Big guns pack a punch, smaller guns are quicker to aim, etc. I really like the feel of the cars too. They got a nice slide to them while still having a heft. So you can get some good power sliding around corners, and when you go off of jumps you don't feel like you are torpedoing through the air. It all adds up to the driving feeling like how I imagined it did in all those late 60's early 70's car chase sequences.

There's some weird button mapping, and I wish they offered more options for button layouts, but I'm already getting used to it.

I'm excited to play more. The set up to the story was done very well.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I'm finding disappointing with this game is that you can't change clothes, your look will automatically change depending on where you are in the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@wheresderrick: The more serious tone they are taking with story of the game I can understand this choice. They have an image and a narrative they want you to see.

I get a lot of people like the more zany aspects of games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs; including dressing crazy, but I like to be immersed in crime narratives, so this doesn't bother me as much as it might others.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WonderboyCoz

@wheresderrick: They are going to be putting out a free update soon that lets you change your clothes apparently.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I'm finding disappointing with this game is that you can't change clothes, your look will automatically change depending on where you are in the story.

Oh really? I'm still rockin' that John Rambo cosplay and this did bother me a little bit.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: They don't need to let you dress as a clown or something similar; just do what Mafia 2 did and allow you many different styles of suits and dress shirts. I've been using the army jacket for so long its getting a bit dull and jarring seeing it so much when several weeks have gone by in-game.

@wonderboycoz: That is great to hear!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.