Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Could a Call of Duty Addict get into this game?

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By fentonalpha

I gave the Beta about 2 mins... 2 mins of walking to a destination and then getting shot by someone i never saw.    It felt clunky compared to MW2.
     But then i discovered the BF Bad Company 2 beta.... it was much the same but the actual "Team gameplay" (a rarity in MW2) compelled me to see past the lack of tightness in the controlls.

So i just watched Giant Bomb "Mag Thing" feature and I'm compelled now by team based game play.... if i drop $50 on MAG will i be disappointed having been a long time CoD player?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz

It really depends if your open to playing a far more team-play-oriented game. It absolutely REQUIRES that you stick with your team, communicate, follow orders, and don't play the "lone-wolf" role. If you can do that, yeah you can get into it. 

I liked the game, and I played a fair amount of MW2 (neared prestige lvl.2 before I got frustrated with the ridiculous balancing issues and glitching), so it's definitely possible.  

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shadows_kill

i was a cod4/mw2 player and MAG to me is a lot better. i dont think you would be disappointed but its a shame that you didnt give the beta that much of a shot cause that would have answered your question..

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jmrwacko
    @fentonalpha said:
    " I gave the Beta about 2 mins... 2 mins of walking to a destination and then getting shot by someone i never saw.    It felt clunky compared to MW2.  But then i discovered the BF Bad Company 2 beta.... it was much the same but the actual "Team gameplay" (a rarity in MW2) compelled me to see past the lack of tightness in the controlls.  So i just watched Giant Bomb "Mag Thing" feature and I'm compelled now by team based game play.... if i drop $50 on MAG will i be disappointed having been a long time CoD player? "
    Well, I'll tell you that a CoD addict can get into BC2. Dunno about MAG.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fentonalpha
    @shadows_kill said:
    " i was a cod4/mw2 player and MAG to me is a lot better. i dont think you would be disappointed but its a shame that you didnt give the beta that much of a shot cause that would have answered your question.. "
    Yeah i admit that i was fairly narrow-minded and in my mind if it wasn't CoD it wasn't worth the effort.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shadows_kill
    @fentonalpha said:
    " @shadows_kill said:
    " i was a cod4/mw2 player and MAG to me is a lot better. i dont think you would be disappointed but its a shame that you didnt give the beta that much of a shot cause that would have answered your question.. "
    Yeah i admit that i was fairly narrow-minded and in my mind if it wasn't CoD it wasn't worth the effort. "
    its fine.. but best thing i can think of is renting it and trying it out again its better than dropping 50-60$ on a online only game that you may not like. mainly cause online only makes it harder cause well no sp so theres nothing to fall back on.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Ryax

its hard to get much worse than mw2. 

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fentonalpha

Well to answer my own question.  Yes.  I bought it and it's great.  Confusing as heck though.... some more fleshed out tutorials would help. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Dude.  

Bad Company 2. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yes you can, and Really don't listen to others that say you can't play the lone wolf role, a good 70% of engagements of attack depend solely upon a single guy sneaking behind enemy lines to take out mortar, sensory, and such so as to draw people away from the front lines and hamper the enemies ability to defend them selves.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By get2sammyb

You totally can, just make sure you give it a fair chance, and have a bit of patience. But yes, absolutely.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By c1337us

I didnt like it, but I think yes though.

SlapChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlapChop

I got to 4th prestige in MW2. Since buying MAG I haven't even looked at COD.  

I also bought AC2 and Bioshock 2 and still haven't even opened then yet.  Also there are a few people that purchased the game and did exactly what you did during the beta. I have seen a few "MAG Played once not my type of game" ads on craigslist. So check there too. Also before going into it remember that until about level 10 you will most likely be completely lost. Stick with your squad.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Skytylz

i think bad company 2 would be a better choice personally.  
    Destructibility>No Destructibility

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fentonalpha

Just finally played an amazing game,  43 kills.... seems Recoil and Sights are a big deal to the assault rifle....

Thought it odd that i couldn't spend my points afterwards..... oh whats that?  Server maintenance... OK no prob... be back after a few (awesome) rounds of BFBC2....  I'm sure you know where this is going..... i get back... hey i'm level 3 again... i was level 5.

MAG... screw you... i tried.  If you had squad spawning I'd forgive you.

I guess gamestop won't take it back just coz i don't like it.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fentonalpha

Ok.... i have had a love hate relationship with this game.  I almost traded it in but decided to stick it out to level 10.   Glad i did.... currently it's in the awesome zone again.
    A BIG tip for the developers though.... i had to turn sensitivity from 30 something to 71 in order to enjoy this game. Tweak that and the obnoxious recoil (i fixed with upgrades) and newcomers will stick with your game.

Also i just read a post on Sony Blog where the developer says that newcomers love choosing the running fast into action role..... we don't LOVE it... we paid $60 to play a game, not a "walk to the action and get shot" simulator... we have no choice, the spawns are too far away.

Anyways maybe they know all this and it's a system to sort the wheat from the chaff.... only the truly dedicated will reap the rewards.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

No.  The less people not knowing what there doing or acting like it is COD the better.

SlapChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SlapChop
    @fentonalpha said:
    " Ok.... i have had a love hate relationship with this game.  I almost traded it in but decided to stick it out to level 10.   Glad i did.... currently it's in the awesome zone again. A BIG tip for the developers though.... i had to turn sensitivity from 30 something to 71 in order to enjoy this game. Tweak that and the obnoxious recoil (i fixed with upgrades) and newcomers will stick with your game.  Also i just read a post on Sony Blog where the developer says that newcomers love choosing the running fast into action role..... we don't LOVE it... we paid $60 to play a game, not a "walk to the action and get shot" simulator... we have no choice, the spawns are too far away.  Anyways maybe they know all this and it's a system to sort the wheat from the chaff.... only the truly dedicated will reap the rewards. "
    Recoil in this game is fine, you can spec to minimize it. In COD it is not a problem for just about any gun except sniper rifles. If you are running from distant spawns it is either cause YOUR team gets the APC blown up or lets the other team get the AAA back up. So that is a problem that can be fixed by better play. 
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fentonalpha

Recoil in this game is not fine.... if it was fine i would not have complained about it.  This isn't the first shooter i ever played. When you start Sabotage you have to run a fair distance (especially defending) and APC's are not in that game mode.  So there ya go... As for APC'S.... on man... I've just about abandoned that concept, almost consistently after i have parked it in a tactical spawn position some idiot decides to drive it into the battle-zone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.