Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

MAG constantly freezing

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By enemaems

Anyone else having a problem with MAG freezing? I have only been able to complete 1 round in the last two days. The game freezes at around the 5 or 6 minute mark every time. 

ladnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ladnar

no problem with my mag, been playing constantly since last thursday.  The ps3 does seem to freeze occasionally when i join a match thats already in progress but only happened 2 or 3 times
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ch13696

Probably just the PS3. I would test a different game. If other games work fine then maybe a recent update messed up certain consoles. I'm just throwing things out there to check.

SlapChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SlapChop

I've been playing a ton and I have had no issues except a disconnect or two.  

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By enemaems

All my other games are fine. MAG has been the only problem. I"ll try exchanging my copy. I am using an original 20GB unit with a 320GB HDD.

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BC_

Mine is fine and I haven't heard of other people's game freezing up like that. I hope it's just the game and not your PS3...

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By enemaems

Looks like it is an issue with 60GB and 20GB units. Figures. I cannot imagine how much EXP I have lost due to this. Unless a planned fix is coming, I will have to abandon MAG. :(

intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By intarcouch

mine does this, but not that often 

i am level 60 now so i don't mind that much

Bailers77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bailers77

I had it happen to me for the first time last night. Perfect way to cap off a frustrating evening of getting my a@# kicked. I've got an 80GB system.
    Avatar image for somethingsaurus
    Somethingsaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Somethingsaurus

I've had two freeze-ups, over my 40-50 hours of gaming. Both of those happened on the load screen before the match began, so it's not that big of an issue for me... yet.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By tread311

I have a 60GB and am in the same boat.  I've never finished a match and usually it locks up within ten minutes.  With no word on any fix coming for the problem it may be time to part ways with MAG and get as much for it as possible.

SlapChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlapChop

Have you guys cleaned your ps3s out? They are the older models, maybe they're just getting a little hot? I sold my friend my 60gb and he is having no problems with mag.  

Just a suggestion wouldn't hurt to try it out.

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By enemaems

My PS3 is clean as a whistle and MAG is the only game that freezes like this. I just finished Darksiders and Bioshock 2 and had some serious marathon sessions on both games. Zero issues.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @EnemaEms said:

" Anyone else having a problem with MAG freezing? I have only been able to complete 1 round in the last two days. The game freezes at around the 5 or 6 minute mark every time.  "

From what I've read, looks like a downside for last-gen (non-slim) PS3 owners. However, there are still other possibilities such as the disc that may be causing the issue.
    aceko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By aceko

I have the original 40gb version mine plays it just fine except when its about to give me the ylod, I have fixed it prolly 5 to 7 times now I just hope that it keeps working, anyone know if you reflow your ps3 tii many times if it will stop working I hope not.

lawngnomez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lawngnomez

I have the 120g slim, and recently have rented the game, the past couple days I've encountered the same thing. I will get to about 5 minutes left in domination and it freezes. It only happens in the 256 player matches though. I wonder if its my ps3 or the game

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawngnomez said:

" I have the 120g slim, and recently have rented the game, the past couple days I've encountered the same thing. I will get to about 5 minutes left in domination and it freezes. It only happens in the 256 player matches though. I wonder if its my ps3 or the game "

MAG is almost unplayable at the mo unless you're playing Suppression or Sabotage. It was patched to v2.0 about 10 days ago but ever since Domination, Acquisition and Interdiction cause your PS3 to freeze. There's also a couple of ongoing memory issues causing players to occasionally spawn without a weapon, hands or both & for the game to black-screen at the end of matches requiring the game to be restarted.
    Zipper are working on a fix but have been very quiet on how far along the line it is.

This has happened before with an earlier patch but that one was fixed within 5 days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.