Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

MAG reminds me of...

intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By intercryllic

After weeks of intense BETA play, and HOURS of Live play ive come to a simple conclusion...

...the game that MAG really reminds me of is Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on a much larger scale. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. However Valor's Acquisition map can go fuck off.  

CONFIRM DENY? 

What do you guys think of the game so far now that its out?

BTW go S.V.E.R. amirite?

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By randiolo

i think people are not giving this game a chance that it deserves... 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @randiolo said:
    " i think people are not giving this game a chance that it deserves...  "
    me 2
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @randiolo said:
    " i think people are not giving this game a chance that it deserves...  "
    me 2 "
    People are comparing the beta as the game.  There is a big difference.  The beta is garbage compared to the game.   But it seems like the weapon content is the same. ;(
    willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By willylo

I'm very tempted to pick up and try this game, but with Bioshock 2 and Dante's Inferno coming out shortly, I just don't know if I can give it the time :'(.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Evilsbane

I am sorry but the game is bland and generic (IMHO), its a really good idea - but after playing the beta and watching the QL nothing about it is outwardly "bad" (Except for some major bugs apparently still present) but nothing is exciting or new, and it really makes you realize how few people talk over PSN. I mean I never looked at this game and saw anything amazing, the idea of 128 people on a team sounds great but it needs to be wrapped around a better game.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

MAG reminds me of Warrock and the older Delta Force games for some reason. I can't place it but it just seems familiar.   I'm still on the fence about MAG. I played the BETA and I had fun, but I don't think it justifies the $60 price tag.  I'm waiting to see more raw gameplay before I make up my mind.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Fbomb

Totally. I haven't invested much time in online shooters since the hundreds sunk into Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory. This captures the feel of that game quite well, though, the 256 player maps I can definitely live without. 256 players, as it turns out it too many for me. The game handles the player count incredibly well, but I really like the Acquisition maps the most.

grotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By grotto

This game takes some time... it was really dragging until I got to about level 10, and now I'm having a lot more fun.  I have yet to win a domination match with Raven, but we're almost there.  There are some truly epic moments - parachuting into the map, seeing waves of troops moving forward to their objectives  in the last states of domination - pretty awesome. Wish there was more voice chat though.

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mariek430

I'm enjoying it. Of course i've never lost a map due to playing SVER, so winning all the matches might have an impact on that. I have really bad OCD though so i pretty much just run around rezing people unless theres just a dude camping the guy waiting for someone to rez them.

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By enemaems

Acquisition and Domination is where MAG really shines. The large battles are always fun and intense. I played the Beta and hated it. Zipper did a nice job fixing a lot of the issues I had with the Beta. To be honest, I like that MAG has a smaller community. The MW2 player base is beyond annoying now. Though I do still love me some MW2. :)

jewishsanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jewishsanchez

It reminded me of call of duty: modern warfare.
    ShinjiKido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShinjiKido

I personally have never been in a match without people talking over headsets. So I don't really get the "Nobody talks on PSN." claims.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Alex_V
    @jewishsanchez said:
    " It reminded me of call of duty: modern warfare. "
    I second that.
    ohEspi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ohEspi
    @Evilsbane said:
    " I am sorry but the game is bland and generic (IMHO), its a really good idea - but after playing the beta and watching the QL nothing about it is outwardly "bad" (Except for some major bugs apparently still present) but nothing is exciting or new, and it really makes you realize how few people talk over PSN. I mean I never looked at this game and saw anything amazing, the idea of 128 people on a team sounds great but it needs to be wrapped around a better game. "
    People don't talk in any other game either. Unless you classify "omg u fuckin kids are soo bad get raped" as communication.
    intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By intercryllic
    @Alex_V: In what way does MAG remind you of MW2? Personally I've found the mechanics to feel significantly different.
    Zaffa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zaffa

For me everyone's got a headset. But, for the most part, it's the people saying "3 or 4 guys going after the sensor array." or "Stay out of that doorway, snipers are all over it!" or stuff like that. Generally, the ones that help everyone else out by keeping them much more situationally aware.

intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By intarcouch

Holy shit OP, i completely agree with you. but i find it feels more like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars on a massive scale moreso than Wolfenstein.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Alex_V
    @Intercryllic said:
    " @Alex_V: In what way does MAG remind you of MW2? Personally I've found the mechanics to feel significantly different. "
    Both are games where you dodge and shoot in combat arenas against other players online. Incredibly similar concepts - so much so that I doubt too many players would consider playing both. The market is becoming saturated with this very narrow, similar set of shooting games. 

Just like the (relative) collapse of the music genre last year, I predict a similar fall from grace for the multiplayer shooter this year. Not that they aren't fun or great games, but there are just too many of them and a lot of publishers are going to lose a lot of money with them.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By handlas

I just bought it and prior to buying it I had a lot of comparisons to Counter-Strike (which I love).  I think the comparison is warranted.  It feels similar if I were to translate my experience from Counter-Strike on PC to a console.  However, it is on a much more massive scale.  

I'm really really enjoying.  Much more than I expected.  I can already tell I'm gonna be sinking tons of time into this game.  Which is great because I haven't had a game like that in a long while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.