Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Should I get MAG?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

There have been a ton of mixed reviews and I was wondering the opinion of GiantBomb, is it worth buying?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

Rent it if you aren't sure. Check out Jeff's "looks" of the game, and go from there.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yukoei
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Rent it if you aren't sure. Check out Jeff's "looks" of the game, and go from there. "
    Is there enough people for a full 256 game?
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#4  Edited By EpicSteve
    @Yukoei said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    " Rent it if you aren't sure. Check out Jeff's "looks" of the game, and go from there. "
    Is there enough people for a full 256 game? "
    I wouldn't know. I haven't played the game myself.
    Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Qorious

Here's a quickie review for the game: If you like strategic shooters and working with your squad, then get MAG. If you like MW2, then don't get it. I doubt if you're into the twitch shooters that you'll like MAG. 

brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brodywb

I have played up to level 40 with a Valor character. I really like it. It greatly benefits from being on a good team. If you have a team that doesn't work together, it is as frustrating as anything I have ever played.  

So far, there have always been plenty of people playing. I've never waited for more than a minute or two to get into a 256 player game.  

I should mention that I don't really like MW2, so if that is your type of game, you may not enjoy MAG.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By demonbear

Its great, i really like it, especially if you like teamplay. For me, this is kinda like Battlefield for PS3 with bigger online matches. Like others pointed out, if you like MW more, this might not be wnat you want.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yukoei
    @brodywb said:
    " I have played up to level 40 with a Valor character. I really like it. It greatly benefits from being on a good team. If you have a team that doesn't work together, it is as frustrating as anything I have ever played.   So far, there have always been plenty of people playing. I've never waited for more than a minute or two to get into a 256 player game.   I should mention that I don't really like MW2, so if that is your type of game, you may not enjoy MAG. "
    Well, I am mostly a PC gamer when it comes to FPS so wouldnt it be hard to play as the controller would move fairly slow for a twitch game?

I am also worried about the balance issues I have been hearing, are they true.
    brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brodywb
    @Yukoei: It's not real twitchy, so the movement speed is not really an issue.  

The balance does seem a little off. Each faction only has one map for each mode. Some of the factions seem to have much easier maps to defend than others. If you are worried about balance, just choose SEVR, as that is the faction that most people think is overpowered.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yukoei

BUMP

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Shadow
    @Yukoei said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    easily.  I don't think I've ever been in a domination match that wasn't almost constantly full
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yukoei
    @Shadow said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    easily.  I don't think I've ever been in a domination match that wasn't almost constantly full "
    Nice.
    SlapChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlapChop
    @Qorious: I disagree I like MW2, I also like MAG you can like both pretty easily. Just need to realize that one is not the other.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Cube

I love MAG, for me the purchase is a good decision. It'll keep you busy for a very long time if you get into it

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Wow you have been posting a lot of threads asking about getting this, I remember at least two others. Well, I'm pretty sure it was from you. 

I would say wait until Bad Company 2. If you are skeptical about MAG, look at some reviews. I know the average on Gamerankings is about 75 I think? And a 75 in this day and age is, for some reason, considered "average". So again, just wait until Bad Company 2 if you're skeptical about MAG. You seem to have been going back and forth on it. 

Also, the game didn't sell too great compared to other shooters. My opinion is that the game will die down fairly quick and in a few months there won't be much heard from it.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By mowgers

MAG's great, when your entire team works properly. Which in my case has been enough times to make it more than worth my £35 and time. Guns feel really loose as you start up, but once you fuck with your x and y sensitivities and get some skills, maybe a dot sight, you get more comfortable with it. 

Oh, and RAVEN for the (occasional, I'll be honest) win.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Wait.
    The game is a mess with bugs and imbalances all over.

SVER is overpowered in weapons, and map design, so wait for a few updates and a lower in price before you buy the game is not worth 60 dollars.

Avatar image for somethingsaurus
    Somethingsaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Somethingsaurus
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Marz

MAG is fun, and it only seems to be growing because of word to mouth.  It's a game that is a slow burn and actually gets better once you've put in about 15 levels into the game.    But i'd wait and see how the release of Bad Company 2 affects the population of MAG.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic

theres this function called a poll..... anyway, Yes .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.