Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

So, is anyone buying MAG?

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spaceturtle
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Burns098356GX

I was less than impressed with the beta. So I'll need to hear some really good things about the finished game to change my mind. Plus I'm still interested in MW2...

GamingReligion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By GamingReligion

Probably, it seems decent enough. I'll check out reviews first I think, but I see it as, "Why not?"

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995

Even if it is a good game, it'll have to be better than good to beat out other games that I want to buy (that or the games I want to be really bad).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Branthog

I have it pre-ordered, but I'm thinking of canceling it. The game comes out in two business days and yet there seems to be nearly zero hype or discussion or activity over it. No quicklooks, no real discussion on any of the podcasts I listen to. Nothing. I figured they'd be sacrificing a lot to produce this type and scope of game, but that I'd want to support the effort and jump on the bandwagon on the first day of release. But now . . . I'm leaning more toward "wait and see". Even though Amazon gives a $10 credit on the purchase as a pre-order.

Also, the fact that it's a PS3 game kind of concerns me. Awesome - another game I can play where there are 256 players and 248 of them don't have mics.

Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr_Bubbles

I'll just wait for Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @Branthog said:
    " I have it pre-ordered, but I'm thinking of canceling it. The game comes out in two business days and yet there seems to be nearly zero hype or discussion or activity over it. No quicklooks, no real discussion on any of the podcasts I listen to. Nothing. I figured they'd be sacrificing a lot to produce this type and scope of game, but that I'd want to support the effort and jump on the bandwagon on the first day of release. But now . . . I'm leaning more toward "wait and see". Even though Amazon gives a $10 credit on the purchase as a pre-order.  Also, the fact that it's a PS3 game kind of concerns me. Awesome - another game I can play where there are 256 players and 248 of them don't have mics. "
    They really need to throw in a mic in a bundle.  Not necessarily for people to get a mic but for people to relize you really should use a mic with the game.  I know alot of people (me included) on PSN who all have mics just never use them unless with friends.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

I intend on finally getting a mic for this game.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Branthog
    @ReaperOfLiving said:
    " @Branthog said:
    " I have it pre-ordered, but I'm thinking of canceling it. The game comes out in two business days and yet there seems to be nearly zero hype or discussion or activity over it. No quicklooks, no real discussion on any of the podcasts I listen to. Nothing. I figured they'd be sacrificing a lot to produce this type and scope of game, but that I'd want to support the effort and jump on the bandwagon on the first day of release. But now . . . I'm leaning more toward "wait and see". Even though Amazon gives a $10 credit on the purchase as a pre-order.  Also, the fact that it's a PS3 game kind of concerns me. Awesome - another game I can play where there are 256 players and 248 of them don't have mics. "
    They really need to throw in a mic in a bundle.  Not necessarily for people to get a mic but for people to relize you really should use a mic with the game.  I know alot of people (me included) on PSN who all have mics just never use them unless with friends. "
    Agreed. I believe there is a MAG bundle that comes with a mic. The Warhawk and Killzone games definitely did. Unfortunately, I don't know if that would convince people. The 360 comes with a mic by default and most people never use it. They want to play a multiplayer game and not contribute back to the rest of the team whatsoever. It'd at least be nice to have an option to say "don't drop me into games where people aren't using mics".  *sigh*
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

I'll buy it later on, but not until a few weeks after release.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By jimi

Going to give the game a week or two and see if it has a big enough playerbase to last before I buy.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mano521

if i had a ps3 i would definitely at least try the game out.   i absolutely love large scale battle games and there needs to be more made on consoles

JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By JDM006

nope. I absolutely hated the beta.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas

glad that I got in the beta.  I would of traded in the next day after buying it.  Having Mass Effect 2 released on the same day makes it even easier to pass.

my experience with the beta was long waits to get in a game (that never ended up being 256 players anyway).  Then they tout the 256 player limit but, in reality, I never saw that many people on my screen fighting and I never really felt like I was in a large scale battle anyway.  But then, while the graphics aren't horrible, they do suffer in order to make these large games.  But what's the point when it feels like I'm playing a 24 person MP shooter anyway?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the game tho.  I didn't give it a lot of play time because the way the game felt (character movement, guns, etc.) didn't feel good either.  Really, I couldn't find a single thing about the beta that I enjoyed.  Shame.  I don't think BIGGER is the right direction for MP games.  I didn't enjoy the large scale MP games in Resistance 2 either.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Skald

Nope.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By AURON570

I wish

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By CharleyTony

I did not like SOCOM and when playing the Mag Beta I had similar feelings.
    habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By habster3

I put YES, but I'm going to wait to see reviews.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Branthog

I went ahead and got it after all. I'll probably pop it in for a few minutes before putting ME2 in, though. I decided that while I have major reservations about it, I do want to support their effort so we get more grand thinking later on. I don't want this to be such a miserable failure that nobody ever bothers with large-scale again. Also, since I kind of know it has potential to suck (either game-wise or, for awhile, server/network/infrastructure-wise), I figure it'll be an interesting roller-coaster to watch and be part of. At worst, in another decade, I'll be able to tell tales of my launch-experience with the infamous MAG.

Also, my PS3 hardly ever gets used for gaming. I stream videos to it from my media server daily, but I don't even use it for games once a month.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By xyzygy

No way. I tried the beta and it just reinforced the fact that I really hate reality-based shooters.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

No - I'm a Battlefield man and the multiplayer demo for Bad Company 2 hits on the 4th/5th of February. I will play that.

I wasn't impressed by the beta. Zipper just had to sacrifice too much fidelity to reach the lofty goal of 256 player matches.

jokingknight22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jokingknight22
    @Branthog said:
    "I have it pre-ordered, but I'm thinking of canceling it. The game comes out in two business days and yet there seems to be nearly zero hype or discussion or activity over it. No quicklooks, no real discussion on any of the podcasts I listen to. Nothing. I figured they'd be sacrificing a lot to produce this type and scope of game, but that I'd want to support the effort and jump on the bandwagon on the first day of release. But now . . . I'm leaning more toward "wait and see". Even though Amazon gives a $10 credit on the purchase as a pre-order.  Also, the fact that it's a PS3 game kind of concerns me. Awesome - another game I can play where there are 256 players and 248 of them don't have mics. "
    I'd have to agree.  I don't think the PS3 online community can support this the way they want.  i have a PS3 and play MW2 on it.  you are hard pressed to find a large amount of people with mics (although i will say that there are more than people give it credit for).  Put it this way...last night i went out and bought MW2 on the xbox as i have 2 sets of friends that have it on both systems.  i would rather buy a game twice than take the chance of getting burned by this game.  there really has been nothing out there to support the 60 dollar price.  i tried to get into the beta, but it took forever and didn't have the patience to wait for it.  so i stopped the "updates" and played MW2.  i hope they suprise me but i will wait and see as well.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By MildMolasses
    @jokingknight22:
    I don't think any platform could support this game in the way that they hoped. Mics aside, expecting to have a die-hard audience be able to fill out their 64 or 256 player matches for months down the road seems like a lofty ideal. It's one that I don't think anyone by CoD could pull off and that is based purely on the amound of people who play MW2, not because I believe that IW could pull it off anyutbetter than Zipper. 

The other problem is expecting to get that many people into a game who all want to be team players and work towards the objectives and follow orders. Sure SOCOM was able to do that, but when the game is on a much smaller scale, it's easier to build up a dedicated player base. I would love for something of this size and scope to work and be successful, unfortunately, with the way that people like to dabble in other MP games before eventually going back to MW2 or Halo or whatever else, I don't really think this will be that successful. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.