Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Well, I don't think I'm playing MAG ever again

• 57 results
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

So, I just got done playing a game as a Squad Leader. I did not finish this game. From the beginning I should have known that things weren't going to go well when I was placed in command of a squad mostly comprised of members of the same clan. From the get go they were yelling obscenities at me and being generally unpleasant. I then proceeded to do the standard Burnoff Tower first, then bunker, then anti-air, etc. which seems to be the standard progression of objectives. They apparently didn't approve of this decision and attempted to kick me multiple times. I finally just became fed up as the game was no fun and quit.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time this has happened. I've had the unpleasant experience that just about everyone who does have a headset on PSN is a raging asshole. Any claims by Playstation users that PSN is somehow more mature than Xbox Live are just fanciful delusions. It has pretty well ruined any desire I have to play MAG which is unfortunate because at first I was really enjoying it.

God, I'm pissed off right now.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Damien

Don't be discouraged.  People are douchebags, especially ones in clans with mics.  Keep trying and I'm sure you'll find some enjoyable games with friendly people.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b

Well, don't quit yet, once I get the Clan up and running when I am online (11th of Feb Damn release dates) You will have multiple GB duders to have a competent and fun time with,  

Just wait until then. sorry.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

Most people in the world are douchebags. This is a well known fact, documented by billions of sources, and MAG just so happens to be one of them, along with Halo/COD/Anything where people have a mic

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Coombs

The only reason some people have the "PSN isn't as full of asshats as XBL" delusion is simple.
    PS3 doesnt ship with a mic, 360 does.
    It's hard to tell someones a complete tool, If they don't speak.

I'd say keep playing, 
    Is there no mute function?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

I don't believe there is a mute option as voice communication seems to be a key point that Zipper is trying to get across. I'm probably overreacting because I've had a string of these experiences in several consecutive matches but it is incredibly discouraging. I suppose I can agree it is made worse by the fact that the most likely decent people are the ones who didn't see the need to go out and drop $50 on a PS3 headset. Thus you can only hear the douchebags. 

This has me so urked I don't even want to play Mass Effect and that has no multiplayer at all. Ugh.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Coombs

This is really the main reason I usually hold off for a month or two before playing any of the Big Name titles online,
    The majority of assholes move from game to game pretty quickly, MAG is "in" right now, give it a month or two and most of them will have gotten bored and moved on to harass people in other games.

That really sucks not having a mute function,
    I don't think I could have ever played CoD or Halo or any big name FPS without it....
    Sometimes you just HAVE to have it.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I have a feeling we are going to see some funny MAG videos in the future. 

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By sfighter21
    @CenturionCajun: 

Heh, I know how you feel.  I only play one multiplayer shooter consistently...Warhawk.  I hate when I end up in a team full of the same clan members telling me to get the f*ck out (I know I can cuss, I choose not to).  BUT, that doesn't happen nearly enough for me to give up on the game.  Its fun, and that's all I need.  :)
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Coombs: Yes, there are times when you need to have it. Like when someone is causing direct feedback from their mic on purpose nearly blowing your eardrums but the only way to stop it is to mute your tv and the remote is across the room. Bad times. :(
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By jonnyboy

It's just a fact of life don't be discouraged. I've said it before but an online service without a fee isn't an online service, It's a nursery. And yes I know that XBL is full of kids and retards, but can you possibly imagine how bad it would be if it was free? 

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

MAG is both awesome because of its command positions and horrible because of it. When you get in a squad that will listen to what you want them to do and follow your FRAGOs it can be a really amazing time. However, when you get into a game where people are running all over causing you to bog down on the first couple of objectives it can be a nightmare. Since the entire game is built around units trying to operate like those in the actual military you can't just run and gun and people don't seem to be able to understand that.

I had enough of that in the actual military to last me a lifetime without having to experience it again in something that should be my leisure and relaxation. I suppose in that respect it is incredibly impressive that Zipper has been able to recreate that level of tension and frustration that a combat objective, and inability to take it, can create. 

This brings up an interesting question I've always puzzled over: How aware are developers of just how vile most dedicated online multiplayer participants are? I know that Call of Duty,  Gears of War and Halo are some of the most popular online games around but I just can't bring myself to play them as they seem to be a cesspool of racial slurs and general ignorance. If I were making a game I don't know how I could justify to myself creating a feature which is going to be used predominantly by such unpleasant individuals.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By frankxiv

seems a bit overdramatic don't you think?

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Coombs
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " This brings up an interesting question I've always puzzled over: How aware are developers of just how vile most dedicated online multiplayer participants are? I know that Call of Duty,  Gears of War and Halo are some of the most popular online games around but I just can't bring myself to play them as they seem to be a cesspool of racial slurs and general ignorance. If I were making a game I don't know how I could justify to myself creating a feature which is going to be used predominantly by such unpleasant individuals. "
    All of those games have the Mute feature  :P
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CenturionCajun
    @onimonkii said:
    " seems a bit overdramatic don't you think? "
    Probably. I'll shut up now.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By frankxiv
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " @onimonkii said:
    Probably. I'll shut up now. "
    it's cool. just give it another shot when you've cooled off. maybe try just being a dude, not a squad leader or something. idk, just don't give up cause one band of douchers wouldn't listen to you :)
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " @onimonkii said:
    Probably. I'll shut up now. "
    I don't agree.  If it is ruining your personal fun then that is all that matters.  It is why I am generally not a fan of online gaming with voice.  I just have better things to do than listen to shit like that.
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Junpei

A mute feature would be nice. That's a scenario where the lower ranks don't need to yell orders and it could work as just a one-way communication stream. They'll speak through their feedback and (worst case scenario) kick requests. I realize they want communication between everyone but a mute option from the top down wouldn't be too detrimental, just not in reverse.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

There is no mute option?  What the fuck were they thinking? 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow

MAG worries me some.  We now have to potentially contend with 255 assholes at the same time and I can already see that teams often will be screaming matches where the loudest, rudest asshole wins.  Sony will have to do a lot of massaging of their audience to prevent MAG from becoming the next Halo and Modern Warfare online experience.  Jeff's spoken comments in the MAG Thing features have already been quite clear that he's met with the same sort of experience which the OP mentions.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Warfare

*hug*

Gertso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gertso

The Socom games had terrific communities once everything settled down and most of the asses were weeded out. I really want this to succeed because I've always been a fan of games that emphasize teamwork over BS like K/D ratios.

AllenV86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AllenV86

had a similar experiences like that, last night i quit 3 times during a match because just no one was paying attention to the orders and just doing whatever they wanted, even the guy in charge of the whole match was complaining about the squad just going everywhere and nowhere, one moment only 2 guys ( me and an other player ) were defending a command position and ( burnoff ?? ) tower ( i play in dutch so don't really know the english term well ) against 8 guys ( it was on the RAVEN domination map at points G and H ) , and then the others start complaining that we lost the towers, i just quit there, 
    but i'm going to keep playing cause i have had several really cool games with good leaders and squad guys and everything just whent like a well oiled machine ( eventhough i lost a few of them, when everything goes as normal u have fun and don't mind loosing that much :D ), and in the future when the GB clan comes on the fun will go up a lot :D

grtz Allen :p

t0ykiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By t0ykiller

i see a solution to your problem. its that youre not playing games with all the understanding people above :) you should all get into a game!
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By natetodamax

If you don't want to play the game anymore because of the bad community, you might as well not play any online game.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By get2sammyb

If you were enjoying the game you shouldn't give up because of a few douchey players. Slap all those guys with a report on PSN, and stick at it. I've had matches where I've been Squad Leader and my team mates don't agree with what I'm doing, but you have to just sucker-up, explain your ideas, and maybe come to a compromise. I appreciate you couldn't in this case because it was no doubt a vocal group of douchey players, but you shouldn't let those idiots ruin the game for you.

Like someone else pointed out, if you're giving up because of a minority of idiots, then you'll pretty much have to pass on every online game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By MildMolasses
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    "There is no mute option?  What the fuck were they thinking?  "

Well, the game is designed around working as a team, giving and following orders, where a you need to communicate. It make perfect sense on paper that it wouldn't need a mute button. But on paper, all forms of political philosophy work. In both examples, they forgot to factor "people are dicks" into the equation
    Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lyniz

um... do you guys really think there is no mute feature? 
    I've been using it since i bought the game.   I dont need my kids hearsing all the crap people say during games.
    I believe you press up on the d-pad then press one of the shoulder buttons.   its super easy.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Don't be discouraged. Just don't use your headset maybe.

Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lyniz

the sound goes to the t.v. speakers. 
    Even if you don't have a headset. 
    But you CAN mute it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

there HAS to be a mute function, they can't be that short sighted surely?

Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lyniz

YES THERE IS A MUTE BUTTON!!!!  

Look in the manual!

andycapps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By andycapps
    @CenturionCajun:

You need to join a clan. I just posted a review of MAG and that was one of my big criteria in recommending this game to people. You have to be in a clan and use a mic. The experience is just not fun without being with friends. And yeah, people can be jerks online. Internet+Anonymity=Dick.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wickedsc3

Yea no matter what system u have people are always going to be rude, ass holes.  Its because they are behind a tv and it gives them the oportunity to do something they will never ever do in their life time and that is grow some balls.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By handlas
    @CenturionCajun said:

"Any claims by Playstation users that PSN is somehow more mature than Xbox Live are just fanciful delusions. It has pretty well ruined any desire I have to play MAG which is unfortunate because at first I was really enjoying it.  God, I'm pissed off right now. "

People are assholes on everything where they don't have to see you face to face.  Well, some are even assholes face to face but just not nearly as many.  Only reason people might say PSN is better is because there aren't nearly as many people with mics.  The games that try to force you to use a mic are the worst imo.  For example, Left 4 Dead.  God awful community for that game on LIVE.  If you aren't playing with friends, you almost shouldn't bother.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By swamplord666

as others have said, don't give up :) The last couple of days have been rough because of people not following the fragos, not reviving and generally being all over the place (also CONSTANTLY losing to SVER...).
    Hopefully those who play the game properly will stay for the long run and those that hate taking orders go and play COD

Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lyniz

MAG is the most fun i've had playing an online shooter. 
    I hope people stick it out.

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By enemaems

Don't give up yet. Feel free to add me to your friends list for some non-douchebaggery. 

PSN=RingWraith

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By agentboolen

Ehhh and least there are people on the headsets, ever since Microsoft brought that stupid Party feature it seems like no one is in the actual game lobby!!!  I miss the days of Gears of War 1 when there was always people in the actual game lobby, it was more fun in my opinion! 

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Drebin_893

Oh, dear.

Avatar image for tukkerintensity
    TukkerIntensity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TukkerIntensity

Press Start go to the person you want to mute and choose BLOCK....now they are muted.

and I usually go for the bunker first.  It's too hard to take and defend the burnoff tower when that turret is ripping your team up.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By adziboy
    @CenturionCajun said:

"So, I just got done playing a game as a Squad Leader. I did not finish this game. From the beginning I should have known that things weren't going to go well when I was placed in command of a squad mostly comprised of members of the same clan. From the get go they were yelling obscenities at me and being generally unpleasant. I then proceeded to do the standard Burnoff Tower first, then bunker, then anti-air, etc. which seems to be the standard progression of objectives. They apparently didn't approve of this decision and attempted to kick me multiple times. I finally just became fed up as the game was no fun and quit.  Unfortunately this isn't the first time this has happened. I've had the unpleasant experience that just about everyone who does have a headset on PSN is a raging asshole. Any claims by Playstation users that PSN is somehow more mature than Xbox Live are just fanciful delusions. It has pretty well ruined any desire I have to play MAG which is unfortunate because at first I was really enjoying it.  God, I'm pissed off right now."

I have found your problem.  

"proceeded to do the standard Burnoff Tower first, then bunker, then anti-air, etc. which seems to be the standard progression of objectives. They apparently didn't approve of this decision and attempted to kick me multiple times."

They didn't approve of your decision. Because it's wrong. Well, it's your opinion so it isn't wr... no, wait, it is. Bunker > Everything. Few guys on Anti-Air, rest attack burnoff tower. Get to the 'letters' immediately because they respawn in their base and you hold them back from the helicopter. Take burnoff by spawning at bunkers, proceed to take out sensors, mortars etc then move onto gates. Once gates are down, letters. 

It's pretty much the only way to go through it. I get totally pissed (although I shouldn't) when some guy chooses squad leader and doesn't got for the bunker. I try and help though, not shout at them, but it doesn't help when they don't listen. If I ask them nicely and they still don't do it, that's when I go do my own thing. I get in the top 3 in all my games nearly whether I follow commands or not - 1. because commands are good sometimes, so following them is exp heaven and 2. not following them and continously killing as they run out their spawn sprinting and not seeing you at the anti-air gun while you continuously plant the bomb to get loads of points and help your team at the same time.
    Azure_Valkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Azure_Valkyrie

Wait until your friends purchase the game and just play with them instead.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Crono

To me this should read:  "Well, I don't think I'm ever playing online ever again" because you're gonna have this sort of griefing in online games everywhere.  Anonymity etc. etc.

JeffGonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JeffGonz
    If you block the player it mutes them. I had to do that to my squad leader once because he wouldn't mute his own mic when he was talking to people in his living room or I had to hear the people he was with yelling in the background. After the match I just unblocked him. I know it isn't really a mute it's a block but it still works
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Heroes of Newerth has the worst community I've ever seen, but I love the game [beta]

My meaning being, dont let it get to you

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive

whatever, nobody will miss you. bye. 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By TheHT

they should give leaders disciplinary skills lolololol.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

@CenturionCajun:  
    I'm a jackass with my clan.  I blame my squad leader for things (even if he is doing great) so that my team will kick him and I will become Squad Leader.  It might had been me actually. :P (probably not)  

Just know this goes on alot and as Squad leader you are in control of descisons not them so just tell them to "Shut up" and they may quite.

Also YOU MUST remember this IS a T game!!  Therefore "kids" DO have the right to be on there and kids ARE kids.  It is not just because it is PSN.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Adziboy:  That is really a lame excuse. The leaders in this game should have a way to punish insubordination as well. The fact is, the leader is the leader, and you don't argue with them unless they are really giving bad directions or not trying to do objectives. Although I will have to agree that most leaders I've encountered don't understand how valuable bunkers and AA batteries are (offense and defense), and that leads to most of the frustration of this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.