Magic Duels is a free to play digital collectible card game based on the Magic: The Gathering series. A successor to the Duels of the Planeswalkers series, Magic Duels aims to replicate the basic experience of playing Magic digitally.
Players unlock more cards by buying booster packs. Booster packs can be bought with real money via microtransactions or with gold, which can be earned by winning duels both online and offline.
Magic Duels provide players access to a new campaign that explores the origins of five Planeswalkers.
In story mode, players take control of one of five Planeswalkers, heroes with the ability to traverse the planes at will. Each Planeswalker is aligned with a specific mana color, allowing players to get a feel for each color's strengths and weaknesses. All story mode wins award gold.
Story Mode has been adding a campaign for every expansion since the 2015 Origins set, which includes Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows Over Innistrad, Eldritch Moon, Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet.
The real draw of the game comes in the form of the Versus Battle mode. Versus Battle allows you to play against friends or with a matched opponent. Players are assigned skill levels and are matched with opponents of a similar level. Defeating matched opponents awards 20 gold.
Solo Battle pits the player against an AI opponent of either easy, medium, or hard difficulty. The AI decks are selected at random from a pool of premade decks, which offers a great deal of variety in opponents. Easy, medium, and hard AI wins grant 5, 10, and 15 gold, respectively.
The fan favorite Two-Headed Giant mode is back. In this 2-versus-2 mode, each player has a partner and starts at 30 life, up from the regular 20 in traditional 1-on-1 duels. Teammates take their turns simultaneously, providing for games that are chaotic yet fun. Players may choose to play with friends, both locally and online, or be assigned a random teammate. Achievements are disabled in this mode.
- Origin: "Before you took the name Gideon Jura, you were Kytheon Iora, a thirteen-year-old kid from the slums of Akros on the plane of Theros. You possess a strong sense of justice, and your magic makes you resilient to physical harm. This combination leads you to speak more with actions than with words."
- Origin: "You are Jace Beleren, a thirteen-year-old living on one of the towering mage-rings of Vryn. You are a natural at mind magic, able to hear the thoughts of those around you. It's difficult for you to connect with others, as you are painfully aware that they think you're a freak."
- Origin: "You are Liliana Vess, and your corner of the plane of Dominaria is embroiled in a war that has consumed your family. Your studies of healing magic are useful, but the ravages of war draw you to the forbidden arts. After all, why should any tool be off-limits in such times?"
- Origin: "You are Chandra Nalaar, an eleven-year-old living on Kaladesh. You chafe at the prospect of spending your life as an inventor, building things for proper society. You prefer taking things apart--often with your fists. You know that tinkering is not for you, and you just want to find a way to be yourself."
- Origin: "You are Nissa Revane, a warrior of the Joraga, a tribe of elves on Zendikar. In order to survive on such a wild plane, you must be tough and practical. However, you are uncannily attuned to nature. Elemental forces respond to your command, a gift some in your tribe fear."