Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering Arena

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released September 2018

MTG Arena is a digital collectible card game by Wizards of the Coast.

Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I think Ikoria is the best expansion they've released this rotation so far. I found Eldraine's theme very boring and while Theros had strong cards and a good theme, I felt it lacked a bit in fun. So far, I absolutely love the mutate and companion mechanics; they're super fun to build decks around.

I'm kind of shocked at how good the companion cards appear to be. Before launch, it seemed like maybe 1 or 2 of them would see play but almost all of them are on the ladder with the exception of Lutri, Obosh, and Zirda. The Gyruda deck is especially terrifying, it seems like every time I watch a pro player stream either he or the chat is crying for a ban already.

The card I had my eye on the most pre-release was Snapdax, though I haven't been able to put together a mutate deck for him with a good win rate so far. I've never been much of a midrange player and I think the big problem is I can't figure out a good curve, especially since a lot of the mutate cards are way overloaded at 4 mana. Also, I'm not entirely sure I want to commit more wildcards to stuff like Cubwarden and Dirge Bat which seem like they would be good for the deck, but seem like average cards overall and wouldn't be a good investment.

The other deck I've been focusing on is Mardu humans. Kudro, General's Enforcer, and Dire Tactics are all really solid, especially Dire Tactics. General's Enforcer + Tajic is a cool combo, very annoying for the opponent to deal with.

What have you all been playing and what do you think of the new mechanics and set overall?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.