Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 19, 2012

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (named Magic 2013 on the iOS app store) is the 3rd game in Magic The Gathering's ongoing annual digital game series, and adds new decks, new challenges, more deck customization, and a new game type: Planechase.

Are the deck packs and deck keys worth it?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Simply put. Are the various deck packs and deck keys, including the expansion, just quick easy way to unlock the decks and the cards that are already in the game, or do they actually add more cards to the game?

I recently got into this game, about two week ago, so I'm still trying to understand the various decks and issues and all that crap.

Thanks.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

They are unlocks.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Deck packs add decks that you can't unlock simply by playing.

Deck keys unlock all the cards in the specific deck, otherwise you have to grind (and grind a lot, 1 match per card, usually about 20ish so cards to unlock per deck, pretty sure you have to win the match too) for them if you want all cards available.

Foil conversions are completely useless unless you have very poor eyesight and are too lazy to zoom into a card. They don't even seem very pretty either.

The expansion has 5 new decks, a new 'campaign' section and a few new challenges (ussually those 'win in one move against seemingly insurmountable odds' things)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Deck packs add decks that you can't unlock simply by playing.

Deck keys unlock all the cards in the specific deck, otherwise you have to grind (and grind a lot, 1 match per card, usually about 20ish so cards to unlock per deck, pretty sure you have to win the match too) for them if you want all cards available.

Foil conversions are completely useless unless you have very poor eyesight and are too lazy to zoom into a card. They don't even seem very pretty either.

The expansion has 5 new decks, a new 'campaign' section and a few new challenges (ussually those 'win in one move against seemingly insurmountable odds' things)

Thanks for the explanation.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Levius

I'm pretty sure the foil conversion also nets you strong extra cards for the deck ( ie Liliana's deck gets the borderline broken Phyrexian Obliterator), but I've never bought one to be sure. I would definitely buy the expansion as there is some fun decks there, only buy the other DLC decks if you want to play multiplayer really. The deck unlock is sort of a rip off as you can grind the unlocks if you really want with the encounters.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure the foil conversion also nets you strong extra cards for the deck ( ie Liliana's deck gets the borderline broken Phyrexian Obliterator), but I've never bought one to be sure. I would definitely buy the expansion as there is some fun decks there, only buy the other DLC decks if you want to play multiplayer really. The deck unlock is sort of a rip off as you can grind the unlocks if you really want with the encounters.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>

No, foil conversions make certain cards 'shiny'. That's it.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Levius

@amatureidiot said:

I'm pretty sure the foil conversion also nets you strong extra cards for the deck ( ie Liliana's deck gets the borderline broken Phyrexian Obliterator), but I've never bought one to be sure. I would definitely buy the expansion as there is some fun decks there, only buy the other DLC decks if you want to play multiplayer really. The deck unlock is sort of a rip off as you can grind the unlocks if you really want with the encounters.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>

Wait really, I really thought that you at least got extra cards. Man, that is a ridiculous rip off. So what are the extra cards tied to then? I'm pretty sure I've seen people with cards you can't unlock conventionally, as in the Obliterator, before.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By SerHulse

@dizzymedal said:

@amatureidiot said:

Wait really, I really thought that you at least got extra cards. Man, that is a ridiculous rip off. So what are the extra cards tied to then? I'm pretty sure I've seen people with cards you can't unlock conventionally, as in the Obliterator, before.

The Obliterator is unlocked with a Promo code, alongside a bunch of others, just punch in these codes on the Player Status screen:

• WMKFGC
    • KWPMZW
    • FNMDGP
    • MWTMJP
    • FXGJDW
    • GDZDJC
    • HTRNPW
    • NCTFJN
    • PCNKGR
    • GPCRSX

I really should have added them to the wiki, it's kinda crazy how much they lock away.

(The codes work on any platform)

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dizzymedal said:

@amatureidiot said:

There were promotional codes floating around at one point that unlocked some 'big' cards. When unlocked those cards would be Foil, even if that person hadn't bought any foil. But they're not in the actual foil conversion DLCs. Those things are just trash, really.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serhulse said:
    @amatureidiot said:

@dizzymedal said:

@amatureidiot said:

The Obliterator is unlocked with a Promo code, alongside a bunch of others, just punch in these codes on the Player Status screen:

• WMKFGC
    • KWPMZW
    • FNMDGP
    • MWTMJP
    • FXGJDW
    • GDZDJC
    • HTRNPW
    • NCTFJN
    • PCNKGR
    • GPCRSX

I really should have added them to the wiki, it's kinda crazy how much they lock away.

(The codes work on any platform)

Wow, thanks. It's crazy that after playing that game for hours I didn't know about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.