Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 19, 2012

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (named Magic 2013 on the iOS app store) is the 3rd game in Magic The Gathering's ongoing annual digital game series, and adds new decks, new challenges, more deck customization, and a new game type: Planechase.

Magic 2013 - Oh no, bugs again!

Avatar image for deactivated-64b64e84c301d
    deactivated-64b64e84c301d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It may be understandable that a game with as many potential situations as Magic could experience a few bugs but by the third game you kinda have to wonder if the developers are paying attention to their product. Cards randomly attacking other cards and the entire UI disappearing isn't something that should make it pass playtesting but perhaps this isn't surprising when the last game released still has a bug that lets multiplayer opponents skip a section of your turn by activating card abilities.

Even without that some boneheaded decisions remain. In four player games the UI will cover opponents cards. Some card stat changes can be individually triggered, making the life gain deck in particular a new world record in testing your patience as the game slowly crawls through dozens, potentially hundreds, of stat changes. The deck manager is totally inadequate for editing up to 100 cards, not stacking duplicates or allowing you to restrict by mana cost.

Maybe by the fourth game they will manage the quality we would have expected two games ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b64e84c301d
    deactivated-64b64e84c301d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may be understandable that a game with as many potential situations as Magic could experience a few bugs but by the third game you kinda have to wonder if the developers are paying attention to their product. Cards randomly attacking other cards and the entire UI disappearing isn't something that should make it pass playtesting but perhaps this isn't surprising when the last game released still has a bug that lets multiplayer opponents skip a section of your turn by activating card abilities.

Even without that some boneheaded decisions remain. In four player games the UI will cover opponents cards. Some card stat changes can be individually triggered, making the life gain deck in particular a new world record in testing your patience as the game slowly crawls through dozens, potentially hundreds, of stat changes. The deck manager is totally inadequate for editing up to 100 cards, not stacking duplicates or allowing you to restrict by mana cost.

Maybe by the fourth game they will manage the quality we would have expected two games ago.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By crazyleaves

I had fun with 2012, until I started playing online. The game was full of trolls that would just stop when you were about to finish them. I left it going one time, for three fucking hours and that fucker still couldn't handle defeat.

I was hoping for a better game this year, too bad.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By crazyleaves

edit: my terrible, stupid phone.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

Yeah, I thought 2012 was a buggy piece of shit, but this is worse. I just played a game where one of the 4 players was able to take control of other peoples cards and use them on the same turn. He would make me attack my own guys, could make tapped, summoning sickness defenders attack any player, it was fucked. He basically controlled everyone. He could do it every turn. It skips turns constantly, freezes, you lose the ability to control anything, it's fucking broken. It's actually worse than 2012 which was also borderline broken.

iMort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By iMort

@crazyleaves said:

I had fun with 2012, until I started playing online. The game was full of trolls that would just stop when you were about to finish them. I left it going one time, for three fucking hours and that fucker still couldn't handle defeat. I was hoping for a better game this year, too bad.

Really? The old games had a turn timer.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@iMort said:

@crazyleaves said:

I had fun with 2012, until I started playing online. The game was full of trolls that would just stop when you were about to finish them. I left it going one time, for three fucking hours and that fucker still couldn't handle defeat. I was hoping for a better game this year, too bad.

Really? The old games had a turn timer.

2012 had one too.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

How weird. I have yet to encounter a bug in one of these games and I've played all of them.

Guess the MTG gods love me, probably because of the hundreds of dollars I have spent.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mnzy
    @crazyleaves said:

I had that too one time and apparently it was a bug and he couldn't continue. 
    The two first games were pretty buggy all together.
    Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Khadyn

Playing it on the iPad and please correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't the rules stated only 4 of the same non-land cards allowed in a deck? Have had this happen 2-3 times already in the campaign where they are dealing the same card for 6-10 turns. Had a black deck opponent kept using Horrifying something that made me place 1 card from hand and top card of library into the graveyard 10 times in a row...seriously WTF? Hopefully they'll patch this soon.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Khadyn: Those are special encounters designed to test your deck against a certain matchup/combo. They aren't actually tournament-legal decks and will always draw cards in the exact same order every time.

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Seastalk

I've never really encountered any bugs either. I do think that for a game that is an introduction to Magic, that it is fun and slightly addictive, however it does not rival the real game.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By stinky

referring to the ipad version here,

in the green deck there is a Indrik Stomphowler, a 4/4 creature that destroys an artifact or enchantment when played.

do not play this card if there are no said artifact/enchantments out, will kill your game waiting for you to pick what you want to destroy when you can't.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By egg

@stinky said:

referring to the ipad version here,

in the green deck there is a Indrik Stomphowler, a 4/4 creature that destroys an artifact or enchantment when played.

do not play this card if there are no said artifact/enchantments out, will kill your game waiting for you to pick what you want to destroy when you can't.

It will not ask you to pick anything if there are no artifacts/enchantments in play. The game will move on like it's a normal 4/4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.