Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering

Franchise »

Magic: The Gathering is a card battle-based franchise created by Richard Garfield in 1993, published by Wizards of the Coast.

ThatPinguino's Magic Lessons: Why the Man-Lands and Slow- Lands are so Good

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Battle for Zendikar is nearly upon us and with it comes a bunch of powerful and potentially unintuitive lands that will define the format for the next year. If you’ve never played with man-lands or you’ve never seen dual-lands like the slow-lands, you might not fully understand why they’re so good. That’s why I’m here to help you out.

Here’s why man-lands are so good:

1. They generate two colors of mana!- The Zendikar man-lands all generate two colors of mana and as such they are great for two colored decks! Every two colored deck should play some number of dual lands and the man-lands fit snuggly into that spot with little downside. At the very least, the man-lands replace the Khan’s of Tarkir gain-lands and potentially the pain-lands from Magic Origins.

This land is basically unkillable outside of creature combat!
    This land is basically unkillable outside of creature combat!

2. The man-lands are uncounterable, potentially game-winning creatures that dodge sorcery speed removal!- This is the big deal with man-lands. They are effectively game-winning creatures that avoid almost all of the traditional ways that decks can deal with creatures. Since the man-lands are lands, they are uncounterable. This means that your man-lands will always be able to get into play against a blue-based control deck. Since man-lands are only animated for one turn, they also avoid your opponent’s sorcery speed removal if you animate them during your own turn. So no need to worry about End Hostilities, Languish, Ruinous Path, and Planar Outburst. Man-lands are capable of applying pressure to your opponent while being very difficult to remove. Also man-lands are extra hard to kill when land destruction is expensive, like right now for example.

3. Man-lands are win conditions that don’t eat into your non-land count!- This is huge for control decks. Man lands are win-conditions that can be played for free and as such a control deck doesn’t have to lower it’s guard for one second to play one. Since man-lands are only creatures when you want them to be, a control player can safely cast mass removal spells like Crux of Fate without killing his/her own win condition. Also since man-lands are still excellent at being lands, they can easily be added to a control deck at little to no cost. This means that your 32 non-lands can all be dedicated to destroying your opponent’s creatures instead of creating your own. That is level of efficiency that should not be underestimated.

Here’s why the slow-lands are so good:

Yay fetchable dual lands!
    Yay fetchable dual lands!

1. The slow-lands are dual lands!- Like all dual lands, the slow lands help to make a multicolor mana bases more reliable.

2. The slow-lands can come into play untapped!- It is incredibly rare for dual lands to come into play untapped and these lands fit the bill for a relatively low cost! These dual lands let you play two colors without sacrificing tempo by playing lands that come into play tapped.

3. The slow-lands have two basic land types!- Since the slow-lands have basic land types, they can be fetched with those nice fetch-lands from Khans of Tarkir. This means that your fetch-lands are much more powerful as they can now fetch up some honest to goodness dual-lands! Not only that, but in three color decks your fetch-lands can fetch any of the relevant slow lands, making them the perfect mana fixing combo! This also means that cards that fetch forests, like Nissa, Vastwood Seer, can fetch any of the green slow-lands instead of a vanilla forest.

So that’s why you should hoard all of those nice dual lands you open during Battle for Zendikar. I personally can’t wait for all the land based fun!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God this set makes me wish I still played Magic. Original Zendikar was one of my favorite times playing magic, and not just because of broken-ass Jace! So many wins with my U/B control deck thanks to good ol' Creeping Tar Pits.

This set's foils will be insane value, even though I don't play I really wanna buy a box and just see if I get lucky with value. Any of these rare lands foil, or foil full arts are always worth money and should never fall in value. Also my god the art is amazing.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who got out of Magic nearly a decade ago, these duo lands are fucking insane. I've been looking to get back in now that blocks are rotating out next month.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Thanks for this post Pinguino! I'm getting really excited for BFZ now :D

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thatpinguino  Staff

@bollard: I can't wait to cast Eldrazi in limited. I'm seeing 10/10s for days!

@voxus: Yeah these new lands are absurd. This standard season is going to have the most flexible and consistent mana I've ever seen. And that doesn't even include the foil, full art lands from the Zendikari expedition promos (you can open foil full art versions of the shock lands, fetch lands, and slow lands in any pack of Battle for Zendikar). I might try to play five colors in standard!

@takayamasama:The fat packs for Battle for Zendikar come with full art lands so if you want to get a bunch of them at a low cost, that might be your best bet.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I'm so excited for BFZ. Origins kind of bummed me out, but really, these lands alone are enough to make me excited again. And then the possibility of pulling a full art foil fetch land means I'm going to be cracking way more packs this time around. Fortunately I can buy packs at a discount thanks to my work, so it wont kill me as much as it would otherwise.

And then there's that new Ob Nixilis. I'm so excited to play some full art swamps in Standard this season.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

This set seems really interesting. I got into Magic right at the start of Zendikar so seeing it make a return is very exciting to me. These lands have a ton of potential too; I loved the fetchlands from Zendikar and I'm always excited when they come up with slightly new mechanics for the different lands. Those slowlands have a ton of potential to them and manlands are always fun to play around with.

Still doubt I'll actually end up getting back in - now I'm not at university any more I don't have people around who are into Magic (or a place in my town where it's played) - which is probably for the best given the potential cost. But I'll definitely be interested in watching some more this year for sure.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thatpinguino  Staff

Just thought I would add that the fetchable dual lands are going to make 4-5 color good-stuff decks incredibly easy (if expensive) to make. I think I'll have a blog up about converge and how busted it looks in a bit.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played MtG in years (I play Netrunner now because I respect my wallet!) but I enjoyed this write up and the term "man lands" is great.

AutumnShade1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This block looks awesome, i'm tempted to download magic online again... but i'll probably just stick with Hearthstone cause it's free.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.