Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magicka

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 14, 2011

A satirical fantasy action-adventure in which you and up to three friends take on The Forces of Evil by wielding eight elements of magick and combining them in unique ways.

IT'S OUT! IT'S OUT!

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Oh, and it's terrific.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

I pre-ordered this, will be looking forward to be playing it as soon as I can. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Elaborate!

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Noodles

I'm hoping we get a Quick Look of this game, I have absolutely no idea what it is about but it looks neat.

Lepruk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Lepruk86
    @Noodles:  You could just play the demo? ^^

I preordered it and am now installing the game - Will be playing it for a little while in a bit - I liked the demo and am really liking the concept of it.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

How have I never heard of this game before?
    It looks and sounds excellent.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Hmm gonna check out the demo now. It seems kinda neat.

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab
    @BeachThunder said:
    "Elaborate! "

Magicka is a tongue-in-cheek co-op fantasy game with action-RPG elements. Except: the only class is wizard, there is no quest management, no inventory, no stats and no mana bar. 

To cast spells, you just combine different elements together (eight in total: Water, Lightning, Healing, Arcane, Fire, Earth, Shield, Frost) on the fly. 

A hypothetical situation is this: 

There's a troll following you around that regenerates quickly when he's not on fire. How do you beat him? 

Super charge 5 earth elements and throw a hugely damaging rock attack at him until he dies? 

Throw water on him to make him wet, then freeze him THEN hit him with a rock for even MORE damage?  

Or maybe throw water on him, then hit him with a flaming lightning bolt to do a jolt of initial damage and light him on fire for a bit while you decide what to do next?  

Decide that you don't want to get too close to him, so combine arcane and fire to create a sustained damage, longer range fire/arcane beam trained on him, doing progressively more damage? 

There's four-person co-op, too. Which means any buddies could sub in and help out in any of the above tasks. 

Though, given the game's ridiculous vibe, it's more than likely you and your buddies will kill each other in spectacularly surprising ways. 

There's also a myriad of "for-real" spells like Haste or Revive that you can learn, which require very specific combinations of elements: everything from teleport to summon zombie to invisibility. 

Given that there's no mana restriction, dying isn't really a big deal. You're two keys away from reviving someone.
    Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Taklulas

<3 I feel in love with it last night with the demo. Downloading now, love to play with some GB fans. :D

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noodles
    @Lepruk86 said:
    " @Noodles:  You could just play the demo? ^^  I preordered it and am now installing the game - Will be playing it for a little while in a bit - I liked the demo and am really liking the concept of it. "
    Demos are for babies! That and I'm on a Mac right now.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum

Downloading the demo now mainly to see how it runs on my crappy laptop, I'm guessing terribly...

But even if it runs ok I might wait a while to get it on a sale.

edit: yep, runs like utter crap, too bad....

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#12  Edited By kalmis

I wonder when the Xbox 360 version will be out.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck
    @MuttersomeTaxicab: I didn't understand any of that but goddammit do I want a quick look of it.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

I hate to be that guy but the backgrounds look prerendered? What is the max resolution for this game? 

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#15  Edited By KillyDarko

I don't like to play as a mage, but this looks different enough. Do you think I'll like this? :P

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mijati

5 minutes on the demo was enough to convince me to buy it. Would love to see a Quick Look of this to make more people aware of it! Although I'm not holding too much hope of that.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

Once upon a time in a generic fantasy world...

...only up to four wizards had the power to make a difference

I'm very curious to see how well they pull off the humor in this game.
    Lepruk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lepruk86

Im on level 3 out of 13 currently... i think anyway - maybe level 4...

Humour has been quite good but casting spells is already becoming a bit tedious - The game does however make you realise how much your characters work when you just press that *fire Ball* button in other rpgs xD...

It's good but just taxing after a while...

Haven't tried MP yet but you can skip a lot of mobs in SP - with no real loot and no xp etc there is little point to killing everything other than to see what does what.

It's a really good and fun game but I don't think it will have much holding power over me personally after 1 or 2 runs of it.

Just my opinion of course and this is based off about 60-90 minutes of gameplay

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#19  Edited By KillyDarko
    @MuttersomeTaxicab said:
    "no quest management, no inventory, no stats and no mana bar" 

I love action-RPGs, but that kinda puts me off a bit.... it's just that I love me some loot and inventory management to break the monotony of the usually generic combat of action-RPGs.
    I'll be waiting for a quick-look (if there will ever be one...) before making up my mind ^^
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KillyDarko said:
    " @MuttersomeTaxicab said:
    "no quest management, no inventory, no stats and no mana bar" 

I love action-RPGs, but that kinda puts me off a bit.... it's just that I love me some loot and inventory management to break the monotony of the usually generic combat of action-RPGs. I'll be waiting for a quick-look (if there will ever be one...) before making up my mind ^^ "

Oh, make no mistake, there is still some loot. You start with a basic staff and a basic sword that can be replaced over the course of the game. You're just limited to carrying one sword and one staff at one time. Also unfortunate is the fact that you can't seem to move back and forth between chapters, so if you leave a sword in one chapter, you can't really shlep back and get it.) That said, there seems to be a pretty solid progression of weapons as you go through the campaign, so it's not like you're going to find some uber powerful sword right out the gate.

What's more, finding those weapons is usually a reward for exploring/finding secret areas. Here's a partial list of what I've located so far: 

Gram - Named after the sword Sigurd used to kill the dragon Fafnir in Norse mythology 

Warhammer - located just outside "Gram's Workshop" (naturally, the sign in front of Gram's Workshop uses the Games Workshop font.) 

Sword of the Master - Link's sword. Located in a field that totally looks ripped from the Legend of Zelda - shoots an arcane blast when you're at full health.

Staff of the White Wizard - Located just behind a wooden door when you just leave the tutorial area 

As for the combat, this is about as far away as you can get from a Diablo or Torchlight click-fest. If you really really wanted to, I'm sure you could hypothetically just spam the same attack over and over and generally kludge through the game, but there's definitely something to be said for the spellcasting system, and if your normal method of getting through is spamming earth, you're going to be boned when you come up against something that has a high earth resistance or something. 

Either way, there's a demo online. I'd say it's worth giving a shot, though I'd personally love to see a Quicklook.
    djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By djaoni

We need a Dave + Vinny Quick look. 

You could throw Ryan in there as well.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By ToxicAntidote

Two words comes to my mind by reading this (and and all over the internet) topic:
    "Feel" and "Fell"

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By sunie
    @ryanwho said:
    " I hate to be that guy but the backgrounds look prerendered? What is the max resolution for this game?  "
    Don't feel bad, I thought they were prerendered as well. They're not though! Max resolution for this game is 1600x1200.
    djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By djaoni
    @Khessed said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " I hate to be that guy but the backgrounds look prerendered? What is the max resolution for this game?  "
    Don't feel bad, I thought they were prerendered as well. They're not though! Max resolution for this game is 1600x1200. "
    Depends on your monitor. I'm using 1920x1080.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By Tordah
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter
    @MuttersomeTaxicab:  Kinda reminds me of lost magic for the DS.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By imsh_pl

Here you have an insight of what the game looks like from Kotaku.

1: It's Freezing
    What is technically possible: Deploying a close-range blast of ice to freeze a massive monster in its tracks, allowing one of your friends to quickly throw a rock at the frozen creature to shatter it into a thousand pieces.

What you will do: Deploy a blast of ice to freeze a massive monster in its tracks, allowing one of your friends to fling an unnecessarily large stone at it, only to miss and hit you instead, crushing your frail sorcerer instantly and sending your corpse bouncing clean out of the level. The monster unfreezes, turns and begins chasing your friend around in a Benny Hill style.

2: My Protector
    What is technically possible: Using shield elements with the "area of effect" casting button creates a glittering, impenetrable dome, with plenty of room for the whole team. Need some time to heal? Not sure what to do next? Swamped by goblins? Just throw up a shield and huddle together to discuss your next move.

What you will do: Yell something vague over teamspeak like "GUYS, ME, BUBBLE," and cast your shield spell with none of your team-mates actually inside it. With no small amount of horror you'll realise that you did manage to trap a couple of goblins inside with you, though, meaning you need to get out now. Your mind races- what breaks a shield? What's the most powerful spell you have? Of course! The arcane beam! You charge a real murder-mother of a beam as the goblins bear down on you, release it and… remember that arcane and shield are opposed elements. The beam ricochets cleanly off the inside of your dome, bounces four or five times and finally collides with you, popping your flesh and mind open like a bag of crisps. In time the dome sputters and fades of its own accord, and the two goblins within join the mob attacking your friends.

3: Zzzap!
    What is technically possible: Get your whole team to cast spells of water protection on themselves, summon a rainstorm, and blast the bejeezus out of your wettened enemies with lightning blasts while you guys remain toasty dry.

What you will do: The one of you responsible for the complex rainstorm spell screws up the casting and gets a sort of riot-hose effect instead. Another of you screws up the water protection spell, gets splashed by the hose and all the lightning elements he was charging get shunted through his body for massive damage.

4: Lightsaber Sucking Blues
    What is technically possible: Infusing your sword with arcane energy leaves it causing so much damage with such a bright trail that it might as well be a lightsaber.

What you will do: Remembering this, you'll flood your sword with arcane energy, go sprinting up to the troll that's been terrorising your group and, with a child's innocence, watch as the troll slaps you with its cleaver for 5,000 damage before you could even press the attack button. You're a wizard, not a jedi. Idiot.

5: Don't Cross The Streams
    What is technically possible: Mixing anything with arcane and then casting it as a projectile creates a tremendous beam of energy. If more than one of you cast these beams and then angle the beams into one another, the beams will become one and damage will be magnified immensely, allowing for the meticulous wholesale slaughter of monsters.

What you will do: Two people from your team will do exactly this. A third member of the team will see what they're doing and fling a beam of his own into the mix. Amazing! Trembling with excitement, the fourth member of the team will forget the healing spell he was charging and start charging arcane so he can get involved too, neatly forgetting what happens when beams of opposing elements mix. The fourth player's forgotten healing element infiltrates the choreographed death ray like a murderer creeping in through an unlocked window, causing an epic explosion that kills the entire team instantly.

EDIT:I'm terribly sorry, turns out this article originated from Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Forgive my lack of reading skills.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jmfinamore

Really fun game with an awesome premise. Making spells is a interesting idea and is fun. My main problem are the controls, which are pretty bad in my opinion. I don't like the drag left click to move (why not just use standard right click like every other game like this?). Also, I sometimes feel like there's too much to manage with having to consider not only what elements to pick but then remember what button you want to use (right click, middle or shift+right) is tough to do in the heat of things. Regardless though, it's a neat idea and they did a good job with it. 

I wish I could try multiplayer though, as that has a lot of potential. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jimbo
    @imsh_pl: That's a Rock, Paper, Shotgun article.  I find Quintin Smith quite entertaining.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Geno

Anyone else having performance issues? Also, forcing antialiasing leads to some wonky results along the edges (looks dashed). 

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Dustpan

And how!

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @HarlequinRiot said:
    " Really fun game with an awesome premise. Making spells is a interesting idea and is fun. My main problem are the controls, which are pretty bad in my opinion. I don't like the drag left click to move (why not just use standard right click like every other game like this?). Also, I sometimes feel like there's too much to manage with having to consider not only what elements to pick but then remember what button you want to use (right click, middle or shift+right) is tough to do in the heat of things. Regardless though, it's a neat idea and they did a good job with it.  I wish I could try multiplayer though, as that has a lot of potential.  "
    I had similar issues with the controls. Some spells I launch with the right mouse button, some I launch with the middle, some I have to hold shift, and all of them I have to hit multiple arbitrary keys to prepare? It's a neat idea but actually playing it felt really clumsy.
    pubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pubbles

It feels awkward and clumsy at first but once you get used to it this game is a ton of fun.  Especially with 3 friends -- It took us like 50 minutes just to get through the first stage cause we kept having wizard battles. 

asger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By asger

Any word on the 360 version? Either that or a Mac version :D 

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By sins_of_mosin

From a video I watched, it seems worthy of a shot this weekend.

drmadhatten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By drmadhatten

Is this out for Xbox Live Marketplace yet? I've looked and just cannot find it.

ClamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ClamFTW

This game is fantastic.  Buggy, but fantastic.  I'm hooked - not sure how much depth is here but the gameplay is innovative enough to warrant your $10

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By ATrevelan

So far, this game has rocked my socks. It's hilarious and I'm loving all the spell combinations. 

My only gripe is that you MUST beat a level before quitting the game, otherwise it'll start you right back at the beginning when you boot it up again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.