Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magicka

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 14, 2011

A satirical fantasy action-adventure in which you and up to three friends take on The Forces of Evil by wielding eight elements of magick and combining them in unique ways.

Sword of the Master + Healing staff = Hax!

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By VooDooPC

I think I'm on the fifth level and I'm not sure how the difficulty ramps up but as soon as you get the Sword of the Master and the healing plant staff you seem damn near unstoppable. You get them in the first or second level too.

When you have full HP the Sword of the Master shoots out energy bolt looking things that do 400 damage. With the healing staff your HP is always regenerating so you are at full HP unless you are getting completely swamped. The Sword does 800 melee damage, so even when you are swamped, you can kill everything around you fairly easy. Since I got this combo the only times I have died is getting knocked off levels and once to a boss. The only thing that comes close to this sword so far is the M60 and that doesn't even have a melee attack.

The only down side is the healing staff heals enemies around you as well. But since you pretty much have a rocket launcher, you don't even need to get close to guys and if you have to, you can easily out damage the healing effect. 

I haven't tried it in multiplayer but the healing staff also resurrects, which isn't too shabby.  

Are there any other great weapon combos out there?

elinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By elinya

Awesome! Please do tell me where you found these items. I've never really found any good items, and the ones i have found only do limited damage. Also, how do you shoot the energy bolts with the sword? Is it like a melee attack (input-wise)

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VooDooPC

You can get the healing staff in the first level when you reach the farm with the lady who says she has rat problems. It's a little to the left side of the path. It looks like a little tree. 

The sword is gotten when you fight a whole bunch of goblins that are near a river. I think it's right after you first meet the goblins that have the bombs on their backs. The river has a bridge across it and the river is almost vertical on screen. If you freeze the river and go up off the screen you get to a small opening that has a pestle with the sword on it. I will try to see if I can get a screenshot/s. 

Energy bolts are on the melee attack button. You swing the sword and they fly out.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VooDooPC

Staff location: 
    http://www.voodoo-pc.net/files/healing_staff.jpg

Have to go up the river here: 
    http://www.voodoo-pc.net/files/up_the_river.jpg

Going up the river: 
      http://www.voodoo-pc.net/files/icy_river.jpg

Go off the map to the north: 
    http://www.voodoo-pc.net/files/off_the_map_to_the_north.jpg

Grabbing the Sword: 
    http://www.voodoo-pc.net/files/thesword.jpg 

Shooting an energy bolt: 
    http://www.voodoo-pc.net/files/bolt.jpg    

Bolts do 400 damage, sword does 800. Can kill the melee goblins in the area in one hit. Enjoy. :) 

Edit: From the beginning of the game plus taking the screenshots, cropping, and uploading them and making this post, it took me 15 minutes to get the sword and staff.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ZimboDK

Okay, I love this game. Just got an M60 (yes, the machine gun)

rybrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rybrad

So is this game as confusing to play as it seems?  I want to do some co-op with friends but not if it is super complex to get.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VooDooPC
    @rybrad said:
    " So is this game as confusing to play as it seems?  I want to do some co-op with friends but not if it is super complex to get. "
    The basics are pretty simple. You're a mage, you get a staff and an off hand weapon. If you are using the 360 controller you use the right stick to add elements and create spells. You can queue up to 5 elements. So if you press down on the stick and to the left, it will select the Earth element. If you want you can use that single one right there. You can use it as an attack attached to your weapon or you can do an area of effect or a direct attack. If you want you can queue up 5 Earth elements and unleash a much stronger Earth attack. 

According to the game there's thousands of combinations. You could do Earth 4 times and then the Shield once to make stone pillars surround you as a shield. Or Earth 3 times, Fire once and Shield once to make a stone shield with a fire effect. Or you could do Earth and Fire to make fire balls. It takes some time finding good combinations, but once you find ones you like, you can create your own unique play style.

There's also a demo you could try. :)
    rybrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rybrad
    @VooDooPC said:
    " @rybrad said:
    " So is this game as confusing to play as it seems?  I want to do some co-op with friends but not if it is super complex to get. "
    The basics are pretty simple. You're a mage, you get a staff and an off hand weapon. If you are using the 360 controller you use the right stick to add elements and create spells. You can queue up to 5 elements. So if you press down on the stick and to the left, it will select the Earth element. If you want you can use that single one right there. You can use it as an attack attached to your weapon or you can do an area of effect or a direct attack. If you want you can queue up 5 Earth elements and unleash a much stronger Earth attack.  According to the game there's thousands of combinations. You could do Earth 4 times and then the Shield once to make stone pillars surround you as a shield. Or Earth 3 times, Fire once and Shield once to make a stone shield with a fire effect. Or you could do Earth and Fire to make fire balls. It takes some time finding good combinations, but once you find ones you like, you can create your own unique play style. There's also a demo you could try. :) "
    Thanks for the info although the demo page on Steam just kept going to the main store page for some reason.  Went ahead and picked it up anyway based on your description and hell, haven't tried something really innovative in awhile.
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sanity

right now i have a m60 and a staff of war lol.... the m60 seems a bit op at times =P

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By daavpuke

I used the M60 throughout the entire game; pretty much slays any small to midsize creature. I used that staff that could summon a tree from the second level on, until way late in the game where you gain the ability to summon other creatures.

For any other monster (even bosses) I did either of these two:

Steam + Arcane + Lightning

Or

First a water spell, then Ice + Lightning + 3 Arcane = Freezes them dead in their tracks and way too much damage. Defeated Grimnir without him moving. Assatur doesn't freeze though.

notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By notha

thanks for the tip on the healing staff, that thing has been invaluable!  I've also started using the m60 instead of the sword of the masters

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

hmmm going to try it out on the next playthrough
    strangely I was in that area that you posted a picture of but there was no sword there

it might make a decent replacement for M60, but 400 ranaged dammage is not going to cut it as you go further into the levels when monsters have thousands of HP

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.