Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox is an RPG for the PC aimed at all the fans of old-school first person RPG gaming. The movement is grid-based, but also turn-based, bringing back the old strategising element of games such as Might & Magic, there are an infinite number of items and weapons and armor to find, and an infinite number of quests to go on. It uses procedural generation to generate the world, items and quests so in theory it could be played forever. The world however is not randomly generated each time you start a new game.
- The game is an homage to classic RPGs such as Eye of the Beholder, Might & Magic, Dungeon Master, Stonekeep, etc
- Movement is grid-based and turn-based
- It is set in an infinite, persistent world
- The world is rich and full of dungeons, crypts, forests, cities, vast oceans and more
- World is NOT randomly generated, but it IS infinite, so you can share what you find with friends
- Items, weapons, quests, locations, maps, NPCs, even dialogue are generated by the game
- Even some graphics such as weapon images are generated procedurally
This project was succesfully funded by a Kickstarter campaign in June 2012, where it raised over $ 33K while asking only 6K for funding. The game is scheduled to be released on December 21, 2012.
In September 2012 the game was added to Steam's Greenlight project in an effort to have it published on Steam.