Manuel Calavera works at the Department of Death with his college Domino Hurley as a Reaper where he collects souls from the land of the living. To do his job, he utilizes a Scythe, some stilts (to make him more imposing) and a car maintained by the daemon Glottis. He is working at the DoD because he lead an imperfect life, though he is unsure exactly what he did to deserve his posting. If he can sell enough travel packages to the souls of recently deceased people, he will be able to start his own journey to the Ninth Underworld Temple where he will finally be able to move on to the Ninth Underworld and to eternal rest.
- When he was at the last Department of Death Christmas party, he got in a fight with Domino Hurley and was knocked out.
- Manny makes a cameo appearance in The Curse of Monkey Island as a dead pirate in Blondebeard's Chicken Shoppe on Plunder Island. When touched, a button falls off his hat that reads 'Ask me about Grim Fandango.'
- Manny was thought to have been seen in "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace", sitting in the stands with the crowds during the pod race at the far right. However, this easter egg was proven to be false following a comment made in Star Wars Inside magazine Issue 48. "Anybody from Indiana Jones to LucasArts game designers to Manny Calavera are not among the throngs in the Pod race Arena...".
- Manny is also seen in " The Secret Of Monkey Island: Special Edition" during the first cut scene where it show's Le Chuck's ship in hell and before the camera switched to the inside of the ship. In the foreground there are two strips of rocks, one of them has the image of Manny along with other skulls.
- Manny also makes an appearance in "Monkey Island 2: Le Chucks Revenge Special Edition" as a painting within the Phatt Island mansion.